Author Topic: History of Perth Metal.  (Read 72071 times)

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: History of Perth Metal.
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:36 AM »
Apparently Saxon from UTI was here before everyone.

saxon was here before existance

Interestingly, I stood next to a very young and excited Saxon in the crowd at an Allegiance all ages show I was supporting at the (showing my age now) Ozone Bar many years ago.

Therefore its a partly correct statement on your part. :)

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »
Apparently Saxon from UTI was here before everyone.

saxon was here before existance

Interestingly, I stood next to a very young and excited Saxon in the crowd at an Allegiance all ages show I was supporting at the (showing my age now) Ozone Bar many years ago.

Therefore its a partly correct statement on your part. :)

Jealous i want to see allegiance... getting there cds was hard enough.

Damo, you can't anychance pm me a quote for a roland td-12 if you know of any left in stock?
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2010, 04:17:13 AM »

Pretty spot on about Skinman, there really wasnt anyway they could follow up Destitution.
Thats probly what did them in.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
Nice reviews there Jez.
Keep em up  :headbang:

Offline Nosferatu

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Voyager
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
heheh thanks Jez.

Yep Opeth was/still is a big influence - The new album (double album I might add...) however has a lot more to offer in terms of musical styles. I promise it will still be dark though :)

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2010, 11:43:56 PM »
Due for release early 2019.

Offline Nosferatu

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Voyager
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:49 AM »
heheh thanks Jez.

Yep Opeth was/still is a big influence
No.  Really?   ;D

yeah shut up  ::)

Offline the_scoon

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »
Better to sound like Opeth than sound like a shit band IMO. It just takes time to develop your own unique style and sound.  :)

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2010, 04:28:10 AM »
Better to sound like a good band than opeth.  ;)

I've seen Opeth quite a lot of times - five or six - both here and overseas and, much like their songs, they are fairly hit and miss. I remember one of the times I saw them in Perth and I thought geez, that was an awesome show, and then a month or so later being in Europe and saw they were playing so was keen to watch them. They were playing at the same time as another band I was curious to check out so I went and watched part of that bands set and then came back to watch the end half of Opeth. That ended up being so boring I was literally yawning, in spite of Mr. Akerfeldt's ability as a very entertaining frontman. I'm not sure if it was just not that conducive to the festival environment, but I think it all came down to song selection, in that they have some really cool tracks but also too many ones that end up seeming monotonous and uninteresting. But I guess some people are into that.

This is where Noctis come in. I generally have the attitude about perth 'metal' bands of "if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything", especially since not all of the members are tools, but I guess since the subject has already been broached...
The thing I don't understand though is if you're going to copy a band then why would you choose 'miss' material. Though I guess much like the way Opeth appeal to mainstream audiences these days I guess it is a way to try to hook in the less metal people.

Offline Harlequin Forest

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 05:41:25 AM »
The only similarity I see with Opeth is the mixture of harsh and clean vocals, and maybe song length. I see more of a melodic doom and prog rock influence coming through in Noctis's music.

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
The thing I liked most about this album is reviewing it.  The boys from Cuntscrape have created something so twisted and unethical that the nastier I write about them, the better the review.
That's awesome man... Very tasty review :)
By the way, in case anyone's interested, Fleshlight is an interpretation of a great song by 1970's band, Parliament http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_FsIt8wDhA
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Ben Mazzarol

• WF Major
  • Drums for Vespers Descent, Noctis & Chaos Divine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
Better to sound like a good band than opeth.  ;)

I've seen Opeth quite a lot of times - five or six - both here and overseas and, much like their songs, they are fairly hit and miss. I remember one of the times I saw them in Perth and I thought geez, that was an awesome show, and then a month or so later being in Europe and saw they were playing so was keen to watch them. They were playing at the same time as another band I was curious to check out so I went and watched part of that bands set and then came back to watch the end half of Opeth. That ended up being so boring I was literally yawning, in spite of Mr. Akerfeldt's ability as a very entertaining frontman. I'm not sure if it was just not that conducive to the festival environment, but I think it all came down to song selection, in that they have some really cool tracks but also too many ones that end up seeming monotonous and uninteresting. But I guess some people are into that.

This is where Noctis come in. I generally have the attitude about perth 'metal' bands of "if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything", especially since not all of the members are tools, but I guess since the subject has already been broached...
The thing I don't understand though is if you're going to copy a band then why would you choose 'miss' material. Though I guess much like the way Opeth appeal to mainstream audiences these days I guess it is a way to try to hook in the less metal people.

"if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything"  :-\

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
  • Drifting on the echoes of the hours
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
I just wanna set the whole sounding like opeth thing straight. Back when i wrote For Future's Past, i was in high school and i was heavily influenced by Opeth and Katatonia. Thus why i guess a lot of people can draw the obvious comparisons between us.

As for our new material, I've written majority of the music this time with a lot of Alex and Simone's input. I cant speak for what bands influence them with the new stuff. But i personally was not influenced by Opeth in writing the new material. Its more a collection of 70s Progressive Rock, Doom, Alternative, Acoustic, Jazz and Ambient music. In fact most of my influences aren't metal at all.

especially since not all of the members are tools, but I guess since the subject has already been broached...

Its cool your not a fan of Opeth or Noctis man not gonna hold that against ya. But sound to me like you've got a personal problem with some of us. Firstly i would just like to know what "subject has already been broached"? I mean if you have a something you'd like to talk about feel free to PM me and we shall talk about it. I find it really concerning to hear you think some of us are "Tools".

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »
I just wanna set the whole sounding like opeth thing straight. Back when i wrote For Future's Past, i was in high school and i was heavily influenced by Opeth and Katatonia. Thus why i guess a lot of people can draw the obvious comparisons between us.

As for our new material, I've written majority of the music this time with a lot of Alex and Simone's input. I cant speak for what bands influence them with the new stuff. But i personally was not influenced by Opeth in writing the new material. Its more a collection of 70s Progressive Rock, Doom, Alternative, Acoustic, Jazz and Ambient music. In fact most of my influences aren't metal at all.

especially since not all of the members are tools, but I guess since the subject has already been broached...

Its cool your not a fan of Opeth or Noctis man not gonna hold that against ya. But sound to me like you've got a personal problem with some of us. Firstly i would just like to know what "subject has already been broached"? I mean if you have a something you'd like to talk about feel free to PM me and we shall talk about it. I find it really concerning to hear you think some of us are "Tools".

Dan the first and only rule i reckon you should follow when writing music is to not listen to anybody's personal opinions. Just write whatever comes out and people either like it or not. It may sound similar to something you have been listening to but to deliberately try to sound different from what is coming out of you naturally is to deny yourself... that may or may not make sense

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »
I went to TAFE with Caddis' drummer, Stu (fucking great guy!), and recorded some stuff for them. They certainly were in to a lot of types of metal; the whole band.
Appart from the bands you mentioned, I think Deftones was one of their biggest influences, also. Ohh... I also recorded the sub bass-drops on the "Use only..." cd  :P
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »

Dan the first and only rule i reckon you should follow when writing music is to not listen to anybody's personal opinions. Just write whatever comes out and people either like it or not. It may sound similar to something you have been listening to but to deliberately try to sound different from what is coming out of you naturally is to deny yourself... that may or may not make sense

haha don't have to tell me man, i don't really care if people think we sound like opeth. They are an awesome band and to be compared to them is quite an honour. But personally i don't really consider opeth as much of an influence on me these days, there is a treasure trove of great music out there that gives me much more inspiration then opeth does now days.

Offline Cunty the Sardine

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

The subject being broached is that your last album sounded a tad Opeth-y.
And if you take Dazs usual tongue in cheek sense of humor into account you would read that as "You guys aren't tools".

Remember this guy manages neverborn and we ARE tools.  ;)

Offline Beast

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Noctis
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
Sorry but i still read it as "since not ALL of the members are tools" which indicates to me Darren has an issue with us. I could say more to why i think this but I'd rather not air that out on a public forum. Because that would be rather inappropriate and unnecessary. If Darren has a problem with myself or another member of Noctis he has been given open invitation to talk about it to me privately. Because I personally have nothing against Darren or his opinions. Each to their own I say!

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2010, 12:47:31 AM »
I went to TAFE with Caddis' drummer, Stu (fucking great guy!)
I caught up with Stu, Mark and Miro at Soundwave
All still great guys
Ah, awesome! :) Yeah... I remember having a lot of laughs with those guys during recording... definately good dudes!!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2010, 01:27:37 AM »
Eep.... clearly a review that has caused a touch of controversy.  Let's change the mood here, maybe I will do something next that nobody will care about...

Caddis - "Use only as Directed"
                                                                                 1999

Coming right smack in the middle of the height of the Nu-Metal movement, Caddis was one of a bunch of local bands riding the crest of that trend.  In the late nineties they were gigging everywhere and as often as they could, and were gaining some popularity, particularly with the ladies.  In 1999 they released their first and only album, "Use only as Directed", an album that they financed by winning a studio time in a big battle of the bands contest.  Having a sense of cracked humour, The cover of "Use only as Directed" was a old toaster brutally rammed full of large knives and still plugged in.  Why the hell not.

Nu-Metal is a catch-all term we use to describe a wide range of bands and their recordings, but there are always variations in style and technique.  The general guidelines of Nu-metal were that the music be heavy in sound but written in a catchy pop way, fat and detuned guitars, drums to be be played with aggression but basic in comparison to extreme metal, vocals to be delivered in a tone far less violent than black or death metal but open to extremely varying interpretations, lyrical content to be less death and hate inspired than metal, and so on.  The movement swept around the world, engulfing such major bands as Machine Head and Fear Factory, and some would say that even the mighty Sepultura tumbled into this genre on "Chaos AD".  Even fashions and stage performance were determined to some degree, as the black stylings of Metal were cast aside for more of an american streetwear sort of look, and headbanging was dispensed with in favour of pogoing, bobbing around and generally having a good ol' time up there.  It was a phase, questionably unmetal and it has thankfully moved along.

Caddis - it has to be said - was a band of young blokes and very much became a victim of this trend, along with other Perth bands of the era such as Pimp and the Dirty Whittler.  But although their music adhered to these general guidelines, it seems to be written from a different perspective to some others.  Most Nu-metal bands drew on Korn, Drowning Pool, Limp Bizkut (shudder) and others of that ilk for inspiration, but there is a definate feel in "  "Use only as Directed" that Caddis have taken inspiration more from such bands as Helmet and early System of a Down, and a good thing too.  The vocals swing from singing to yelling to growling to whining to gibbering like a maniac, interesting for sure even if done to death by the bands they were inspired by.  The guitars are fat as hell if a a bit too simple at times and the overall feel is big, boppy, grooving and chunky, but you would have to say a bit predictable.  There are some heavy moments too, if you can be bothered waiting for them, and I remember that when I first brought the album home a decade or so ago my Lady listened to it plenty of times and loved it.  Then again, she loves Breaking Benjamin too.  
Live on stage they has a far better sound than the way it translated to the CD, I guess you could say that about most bands of the Nu-Metal ilk.  Caddis came and went without huge fanfare, I have no knowledge of whether or not any of them went on to bigger and better things.  They were never that heavy, never that fast and never really blew anyone away, but it was pretty cool at the time I reckon.  

"Use only as Directed" is probably not relevant in today's Metal world, but is not the worst thing I ever heard.  I enjoyed playing it a few times through today, a trip down memory lane.... and I will be just as happy to put it back in the rack for another ten years.

Review by Jez.

I've never heard of these guys, let alone heard their music, but this album review is written so well I feel like I know what it sounds like. Pretty sure I wont like it, but would love to have a listen, just out of curiosity. Early Systems wasnt too bad and Helmet are alright from what I can remember of them. Good review Jez
Mongeese like results

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2010, 08:35:59 PM »
Helmet are fucking sickkkkkk get some of that shit in ya
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
I remember Caddis playing with Pimp and Rhinoted in a Rockingham nightclub one night  :laugh:
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline Torana

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
CENTAUR :headbang:
THRASH

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »

stumbled upon this http://perthmusic.wordpress.com/ last night

i dont recognize any of the bands but im a young whipper snapper  :headbang:

Offline PremierMaelstrom

• WF Colonel
  • PROGRESS
    • View Profile
    • NeXuS - just fucking metal
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
stumbled upon this http://perthmusic.wordpress.com/ last night

Nailed Down!
Amazing grind. i went to TAFE with the bassplayer Craig.
I have their album on a tiny cd somewhere...
It all catches up on you when you slow down ...