Author Topic: History of Perth Metal.  (Read 72270 times)

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • www.ozfishforsale.com.au
Re: History of Perth Metal.
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2010, 07:22:03 PM »
Not a windmill in the house 'eh? Is that 'cause they were'nt invented yet? :p  hahaha

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
Na, I meant my first gig as an AUDIENCE member  8).

I didn't start playing live til 1993.

My first 'pre-adult' band played a show in 1987 at a school social, then a couple of parties after that.

It's all in my autobiography due out in 2056:

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
                                            Downer - Grater Scrape

Killer album! Still one of my top Perth metal bands ever.... 'Swell' was amazing too. I wish they'd do a re-union or something.
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
This is a list of the interviews done so far in approximate order of release:

Rothgar - inside the Glass Confines  1993
SFD - Destruction of the Youth  1993
Downer - Grater Scrape  1994
Vanadium - the Damage Done  1995
Dust - Recoil  1996
Plague - Plague  1997
Caddis - Use only as Directed  1999
Syzygy - Prominence   2000
Furor:  Invert Absolute 2004
Malignant Monster - Foul Play   2005
Allegiance - Sinman    2006
Chaos Divine - Ratio  2006
Noctis -   For Futures Past  2007
Burial Grounds - Burial of Corpses - 2007
Vespers Descent - Reality Disfunction   2007
Grotesque - Museum of Human Disease.  2007
Left Ablaze - Die for Me   2007
Claim the Throne - Only the Brave Return   2008
Nexus - Eve of Destruction 2009
The Ascent - Where are your Heroes now? 2009
Cuntscrape - Papsmear Campaign  2009
Grave Forsaken - fight to the Death  2010
Mhorgl - Antinomian  2010
Wardaemonic - Echoes of Ageless Flames  2010

I know that I have barely made a start, but still there are some big gaps here.

Awesome reviews, Jez. I am still going to stick them on the main page of WF at some point when I get more time, don't worry. In the meanwhile, I added an index section to your first post in this thread, so people can just click on the respective link to get straight to the review. I didn't have time to add them all but I added a couple so you get the idea of how to do it if you want to add more and as you do one you can add it to the index page.

I was going to assume you knew how to get the url for each one but just in case.. you just right click on the title link for the respective post and choose "Copy link address" or "Copy url" or whatever your particular browser says.
i.e. it will be the url for this thread (http://www.wf.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=5588.175) followed by # and the number for the message.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
Aah, that makes more sense.  I think the first gig I ever saw was Metalmorphis and Mandatory at a battle of the bands in some tiny dive.  Would have been 1990 or 91.  I would have been 17 or 18.

It seems an eternity ago.

Fuck your like double my age...

That's some serious gigging exp though, wish I could have seen some of the bands from back in the day.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
                                            Downer - Grater Scrape

Everyone who knew them though will tell you that they were good guys, the Dumptruck/Downer crew loved their piss and parties and were always good for a laugh, particularly the bassist Nathan, a top bloke for sure.  

I saw Downer 10-15 times over the years they were around. I can agree with this  ::) Great band and CD.

Offline hossain2

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2010, 12:44:48 AM »
want to do more than just review the latest albums, I would like to start delving back through the years to the early extreme metal bands from this city.  I have about 40 local albums and a few tapes too, and yet I need more, so if anyone wants to be reviewed, let me know how I am to get a copy of the album.  I am happy to pay, in fact it is preferable to avoid a sense of obligation to review with false kindness.  I am most interested in getting hold of material from bands from the bad old days.

Offline hossain2

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »
I volunteer to be one of the reviewers, and would like to have volunteers to be the second.  It should be someone with a good understanding of metal of all genres.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
Incidentally, I've started adding the reviews to the main page of WF. I'll add more as time goes by.

Offline hossain2

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2010, 08:59:42 AM »
The guitars are the driving force, and they have a diversity all of their own.  Grant and Shannon work together on this album beautifully, they can play fast in parts, but not in the cheesy way of many MDM bands, they use a more abrasive tone and when they get it right they sound downright nasty.  The tone created by the twin axes and the bass (Adam) is notable in that it is just right for the band, maybe it is just studio magic but by fuck it sounds slick.  Amazing it is, that they can inject as much melody into their songs without the keyboard that so many of the modern MDM bands use, and yet not compromise the heaviness of the sound.
  The lead work is impeccable, neither boring nor wanly and generally spot on, and there is a lot going on that you pick up as you listen to the songs a few times over.  Yet the main factor that makes the guitars so well crafted is that they don't just smash away, they know when NOT to play as well.  Because as good as the guitar work is on this album, it is overshadowed by a force far greater. 

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
Haha.. the weirdest spambot yet. Just look how bad that grammar is... oh wait, it's just pasting back what Jez said.. whoops. ;D

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
Jez have You got Shadows in my head from Centaur? I have a copy somewhere. Just a matter of finding it under the piles of metal cd's I have. Although I must point out that I didn't play bass on the EP. I only covered the live shows.

Offline RawBrutalJamo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the review of the EP Jez.  It's nice to finally get some feedback and maybe a little bit of closure to what people thought of the EP.  It was definitely a rushed release and quite frankly we weren't very proud of it at the time.  I enjoy listening to it now every now and then though just as a reminder of the good times we had and as an accomplishment of something I never thought I'd achieve: releasing something from a band I was in.  I think all 4 of us really are achieving/have achieved greater things with our new projects then we did with the Alchemont.  A great stepping stone all the same.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
Thanks for the review of the EP Jez.  It's nice to finally get some feedback and maybe a little bit of closure to what people thought of the EP.  It was definitely a rushed release and quite frankly we weren't very proud of it at the time.  I enjoy listening to it now every now and then though just as a reminder of the good times we had and as an accomplishment of something I never thought I'd achieve: releasing something from a band I was in.  I think all 4 of us really are achieving/have achieved greater things with our new projects then we did with the Alchemont.  A great stepping stone all the same.

Your EP was one of the first local releases I ever got my hands on, and I was lucky enough to be able to see you live, right when I started to get into the local scene.

Offline Oiseau

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2010, 06:12:40 PM »
No I have not, and yes I would like it.  Contact me for the details.

A variety of humans have been keeping me fed with a supply of material from all over the Perth Metal scene.  I haven't thanked them on WF because they were only able to provide me with burned copies and I would hate for the bands involved to find out.   ;D  Keep them coming people.  

Fuck, I have searched through my collection again and again and I just can't find my Allegiance - "Destitution" CD or Infected's "Control".

I also have been searching high and low for my Epitaph - "Mind Control" album from the middle 90's, it also seems to have disappearsed.  Anyone got a copy?

I think I've got a copy of Allegiance somewhere, will have a look and get back to you.
I ate one anchovy. And that is why i did not eat two anchovies.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2010, 07:06:35 AM »
No I have not, and yes I would like it.  Contact me for the details.

A variety of humans have been keeping me fed with a supply of material from all over the Perth Metal scene.  I haven't thanked them on WF because they were only able to provide me with burned copies and I would hate for the bands involved to find out.   ;D  Keep them coming people.  

Fuck, I have searched through my collection again and again and I just can't find my Allegiance - "Destitution" CD or Infected's "Control".

I also have been searching high and low for my Epitaph - "Mind Control" album from the middle 90's, it also seems to have disappearsed.  Anyone got a copy?
I could hand it to You at the next gig or give it to Darren.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2010, 09:53:04 AM »
I have Centaur's "Shadows In My Head" as well as Allegiance's "Destitution" (insert full stops), so I can let Jez use them for review.

By the way, Jez, it's Carcass - Heartwork.
 8)

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2010, 02:59:06 AM »
That's nice of him.

Some other ballbag in your band charged me $40 for 2 copies of the 3 track CD. :err:

The 2nd copy I was supposed to post of to Chalky for his radio show but I never got around to it so I still have 2 expensive copies if anyone wants a free one.

Offline Monster Dave

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2010, 06:25:21 AM »
I have Infected's Control somewhere. I see if I can find it for you Jez.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »
I have Centaur's "Shadows In My Head" as well as Allegiance's "Destitution" (insert full stops), so I can let Jez use them for review.

By the way, Jez, it's Carcass - Heartwork.
 8)
A couple of things to point out on SIMH. Brad and Dion play the bassparts on the Cd. Not me. Also Dave Streeter played Drum son the Cd. Like me with the Bass, Ben only played drums for the live shows.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
Scourge is only a 3 track CD?

Sorry, I was carrying on from the AlcheMUNT discussions. :)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2010, 02:31:10 AM »
wasnt Allegiance's Sinman more like 96?

I still gotta get you those Rapeseed CD's, and I noticed you havent done Choke's Smokin Tailpipe Action or either of the iNFeCTeD albums. I have all of these if you want... will dig out some shit tomorrow. Im sure there are other local bands I have. Pretty sure I have a Samain album too
Mongeese like results

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2010, 09:01:49 AM »
Must make sure I get a copy of this off someone, been meaning to give Scourge a listen for a while...

Scourge - "Transgression"

Well now, anyone feel like headbanging?

Right from the first moments this CD hooks you like an anchor up your arse, and it doesn't let you escape because that cold steel hook is wedged in your kidney.  Throw away your cores, your sub-genres and your nu-metal - and while you are at it, your pants - because it's "rock out, cock out" time.   This is thrash, full of oldschool purity and simple sinfulness, and it pretends to be nothing else.

With a flavour sort of like early Annihilator and Overkill, Scourge's "Trangression" alternates between thrash and speedmetal, but seems to flirt with the edges of groove, delivering a very catchy mix of styles without deviating from their true Thrashmetal heritage.  the sound is reminiscent of "State of Euphoria" era Anthrax's in that the heaviness is created by the speed and nuttiness of the riffing rather than the sound, which sounds very clear and mid-heavy to my ears in the same way that Pantera does on "Cowboys from Hell".  There are moments of such retro thrashmetal purity that they could have been taken straight from "Kill 'em All" or "Killing is my Business and business is good" even though they share little else in common that the tempo and general mood.  On "Transgression" the sound of early thrash has been captured with stunning success.   Scourge remind me of what we loved about Metallica in the 80's before they all bluesy and lame, it is good hard drinking metal with a twist of fuck yeah and a chaser of what the fuck?  It is metal to listen to with a grin on your face at the 80's style lyrics and to marvel at Scourge's ability to make music simultaneously cliched, retro, funny, moshy, invigorating, and yet somehow fresh and completely unpretentious.  

"Transgression" is not particularly heavy, I compare this album in heaviness to Propain or maybe Megadeth during the "Countdown to Extinction" era, but don't let this put you off.  This is fast and energy-infused music, switching between slick little riffs and runs played at the casual speed of a armour-piecing round, and passages of clean melodic structuring far beyond the level of musicianship one expects of 5 kids in a thrash band.  Chemistry is just one of those things, when it is right everyone lifts their game, and it is hard to find a fault here.  
Ash and Ainsley on Drums and Bass bang out like men on a mission, belting along like Cerebus himself has their nuts in his sight and a napkin around his neck.  The drums are really cool, staying true to the thrash style, plenty of kick going on but written more with galloping triplets rather than the more intense and constant kicking of newer genres.  It really works, and the drum mix is perfect too, you pick up everything he is doing clear as day.  "A Cold Taste of Steel" and "Transgression" are prime examples of this clever work.  The guitars are particularly well written, particularly when they are used together in harmonised melodic runs.  Simon and Paul just kick the asses out of their guitars here,  the frenetic and blistering speedmetal lead on "When the Scourge Strikes" is a particular highlight, in fact that whole song is just going berko from go to whoa.  Simone the ranga firebrand was still young and unseasoned on the album, and yet she never sounded better, and never looked happier than she did up there thrashing out with Scourge.

And then on the 8th day God created Smitty.  Some would suggest this was a fundamental judgement error, but let's forget that for the moment.  The ideal frontman, shameless and always having a ball, and blessed - or cursed - with a voice that is ideal for Thrash.  He uses it to its full potential here, jumbling high and low notes together with abandon, and singing these catchy lines with an eagerness and pleasure that is rare in the scene at the moment.  Although he is a good guy and a master at working the crowd, my main memory of Smitty with Scourge will always be his munted "Forchas a Dare" delivery of their crowd favourite "Fortress of Death", and I wonder if I will ever shake that priceless image.  

This is yelling at the top of your lungs until you black out metal.
This is grabbing the mike and howling the wrong words metal.
This is slamming your head into the foldback and spilling your beer all over your girlfriend metal.  But don't worry, she is too mersmerised by the leather pants to even notice...metal.

With the breakup of Scourge, the Perth metal scene got a lot more serious and a lot less silly, and it is tragic really.  At least they left us "Trangression", and I am fortunate enough to have a copy of this local classic.  
If you haven't got it, let me just say simply "Naaa naaa na naaa naaaaaa" to you.

Review by Jez.