Author Topic: History of Perth Metal.  (Read 72079 times)

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: History of Perth Metal.
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »
Mr Page ftw!

Offline DISASTER666

• WF Colonel
  • Barbarian Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »
Wow! First time i've been able to see that. Nice shreddage from Jamie!!!
I was 4 years old at the time. Respect!

Offline The_Devil

• WF Lieutenant
  • Who's your Daddy?
    • View Profile
    • The Devil Rides Out
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »
                                                                Infected - Crawlspace"
                                                                    1994/ re-release 2010

In their time one of Perth's biggest metal bands, Infected were known for their ferocious live shows and unique interpretation of metal.  Although Death Metal at their core, Infected seemed to generate their sound from different influences than the more contempory and better known deathmetal bands of the era.  To my ears they sound similar in some ways to Six Feet Under, but only in the slower moments, certainly in other ways they sound miles away from that.  Take The Amenta and strip them of the computer-generated soundwall of violent white noise and the distorted vocals, and you are more in the ballpark of the Infected sound on "Crawlspace".  
There is a definate Industrial metal flavour here, but they journey far off the well-beaten track that such bands of the genre as NIN, Ministry and Misery Lovesco have found their way down.  Maybe the old guard of industrial is closer, I can find similarities between Infected and such bands as Pitchshifter and the true pioneers of Industrial, Killing Joke... but on this CD such influences and the death metal stylings of bands such as Entombed are equidistant.  It's a hard one.  

With their use of keyboards used in moments but not integrally, the use of samples here and there, the occasional use of clean vocals and the periodic slowdowns, there is only one band I can point at as a having a definately similar style.  This band is "Soul of a New Machine" era Fear Factory, and chronologically speaking, this is very likely.  The "Soul of a new Machine" parallel leaps forth again as their song "Self-Immolation" is remixed on "Fear is the MindKiller" and I personal think it was better than the original, while "Assililation" by Crawspace is given the same treatment to with an equally imporessive result.  And yet again the conjuction between the bands; the opening quote on "Crawlspace" is a line from the Sci-Fi classic "Dune", the same place that Fear Factory found the title of their remix album.  There is a pattern here, but despite these obvious connections, there is enough difference between the two bands to ask the question: did Infected follow Fear Factory to the creation of their sound, or did Infected and Fear Factory reach this point in their journey independantly?  

Before I go on, let me just say that the lyrics of this album are probably some of the best I have read from a local band, they are neither hackneyed or generic, are emotive and thoughtful and are well crafted to fit the music.  They also seem to have been written with the vocal style in mind, because the delivery, timing and diction flow beautifully together. The best part of the album for sure in my opinion.

The guitar sound on "Crawlspace" would suit a modern grind band, and the insane intros and violence of the music helps to create that vibe, but you can forget any hope of the lyrical content helping to perpetuate that image.  There are songs where they punch it up ("Predetermined"), songs where they add strange and off-key vocals ("Rageflower"), songs where they have extremely aggressive drummings ("Crawlspace"), songs where they use unusual ambient keyboards ("Once More") and so on and so forth.  Infected's "Crawlspace" is experimental metal, and far ahead of its time in Perth.  In fact it could be said that Infected were GENERALLY ahead of their times, blazing inroads for other Perth bands to travel in future generations.

Like all experimental and innovative new kinds of metal, there are those who love it and those who do not.  It saddens me to say it, but I didn't like this CD at all when I was young, and age may have brought me more understanding of metal and what goes into the crafting of it, but in truth I still don't really like it.   I search for the right metaphor here... to me "Crawlspace" is comparable to a painting by Picasso or Dali in that it has incalculable worth to some and to others is a bunch of annoying shapes, and I guess that I am just one of those people who have trouble seeing the beauty of a chick with both her eyes on the same side of her head.  
For me the mix on this CD is too abrasive, the clean vocals too disharmonic, the structuring too angular and misshapen,   neither comfortable to listen to or quite angry enough to use as material for rage ventilation.  I can sense that Infected created their music with an intention to challenge, confound and cause an emotional response in a way few albums can, and in some moments it certainly has that affect.  The wailing child on "Predetermined" sent shivers down my spine and made me want to go and check on my children, unnerving to say the least.

It may feel like I am sinking the boots into a band that deserves more, but I mean no disrespect.  I hold Infected in high esteme for their pioneering spirit and willingness to break the shackles of conformity and convention, and for the crafting of what is considered by many to be a underrated and breakthrough album.  I really hope that the rest of you are able to grasp what it is that they are trying to do here, because love it or hate it, Infected's "Crawlspace" is an important part of the history of Metal in this city and should be in every Perth metal collection.

Review by Jez.

Nice review Jez. Even though you are not the biggest fan of the album I appreciate the thought put in and respect shown. I definitely wasn't aware about the Dune co-incidence at the time, only realised it years later. It was more a reflection of my love for fantasy and horror films - there are also samples from 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' and 'Hellraiser' in there (that screaming baby!).

There is certainly a similarity with 'Soul of..." on crawlspace but I can honestly say this happened 90% independently - most of the songs on the album were already written before we ever heard Fear Factory. I think we did use it as one of several references in the studio when we mixed though, mainly for the bass sound(?). James will correct me if I'm wrong. I think we shared very similar influences with FF ie. a mixture of British death/doom/grind (Napalm Death, Bolthrower, Carcass, Paradise Lost etc) and industrial (Godflesh, Pitchshifter, Killing Joke etc) and arrived at a similar point. We played with them at Club Atlantis on the "Soul..." tour @ '93(?) and I remember Raymond and Burt commenting that they loved 'Assimilate'. I wasn't surprised, they were huge Godflesh fans too!  :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:12:41 PM by The_Devil »

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2010, 06:51:51 AM »
I noticed what I interpreted to be a heavy 'Soul of a New Machine/Napalm Death' sound too when i first heard it almost 10 yrs ago, I remember at the time thinking that was a pretty cool sound to have simply come out of Perth.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 20, 2010, 02:16:01 AM »
Out of curiosity can anyone do an interview?
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline The_Peeper

• WF Colonel
  • Peace and fucking... Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2010, 06:38:07 AM »
I'll take this one.... yes, I'd say just about anyone can do an interview.
Fraternally bound to haunt swollen distended bodies
Their chemical reactions clash amidst rank autopsies...
NH2(CH2)4NH2...Putrescine!
C5H14N2...Cadaverine!

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »

Who did you have in mind?

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Who did you have in mind?

Even though most won't be happy local black metal/ Doom(does it exist here?)
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
Dude, make it exist here i say. If you like it then that good enough IMO. Go hard. :headbang:

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2010, 03:41:05 AM »
The only albums I have are bereavement and wardaemonic... got to get my hands on some other bands.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2010, 05:07:14 AM »
The only albums I have are bereavement and wardaemonic... got to get my hands on some other bands.

Both Naetu and Mhorgl have albums out. You might be able to get copies of both at the Black Mass at Amps on Friday night.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2010, 02:27:42 PM »

Both Naetu and Mhorgl have albums out. You might be able to get copies of both at the Black Mass at Amps on Friday night.

Hoping to get some Uncreation, Drohtnug, maybe some Vagrond, the infamous '...From beyond', pagan and for doom, not really anything I know of on the Funeral/Goth side of things (till i'm done getting a band together). But there are some Drone and Sludge bands out there. Born on the Bayou, Drowning Horse... few more I think to.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Hoping to get some Uncreation, Drohtnug, maybe some Vagrond, the infamous '...From beyond', pagan and for doom
See if you can track down Spithre as well.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:51 AM »

Don't suppose you would know where to get any of their material (physical), these songs sound pretty cool, wouldn't mind getting a hold of the bloodmoon demo.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Nigel Grundy

• WF Private
  • EX- EPITAPH Vocalist
    • View Profile
I have EPITAPH material comming back out ! :)
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2010, 03:50:29 AM »
No I have not, and yes I would like it.  Contact me for the details.

A variety of humans have been keeping me fed with a supply of material from all over the Perth Metal scene.  I haven't thanked them on WF because they were only able to provide me with burned copies and I would hate for the bands involved to find out.   ;D  Keep them coming people.  

Fuck, I have searched through my collection again and again and I just can't find my Allegiance - "Destitution" CD or Infected's "Control".

I also have been searching high and low for my Epitaph - "Mind Control" album from the middle 90's, it also seems to have disappearsed.  Anyone got a copy?

I think I've got a copy of Allegiance somewhere, will have a look and get back to you.
:headbang: :headbang:
\m/'-_-'\m/

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2010, 08:26:54 AM »

Hoping to get some Uncreation, Drohtnug, maybe some Vagrond, the infamous '...From beyond', pagan and for doom, not really anything I know of on the Funeral/Goth side of things (till i'm done getting a band together). But there are some Drone and Sludge bands out there. Born on the Bayou, Drowning Horse... few more I think to.

the Bayou boys are good friends of mine, some good sludge there. also try some Atolah and Cease.
...also i didnt know these guys existed til we played a gig with them, and theyve been around some time, got a few self releases and i was captivated by their live show - Memoria.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2010, 09:56:36 AM »

Don't suppose you would know where to get any of their material (physical), these songs sound pretty cool, wouldn't mind getting a hold of the bloodmoon demo.

I might have a spare copy somewhere, don't remember selling all the copies I had. If I can find one I'll let you know. Otherwise check with Blood Black Productions, or the band directly.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 22, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »
the Bayou boys are good friends of mine, some good sludge there. also try some Atolah and Cease.
...also i didnt know these guys existed til we played a gig with them, and theyve been around some time, got a few self releases and i was captivated by their live show - Memoria.

I'v made a list of stuff to try and pick up, over the next few weeks, Bayoy don't have any releases as of yet, talking to hulk they were still struggling to find a singer or something. I'v seen Atolah live before, but have never heard of cease.

Tonight I'll scout these bands out well, i can't think now if i'v heard of Memoria.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »

I might have a spare copy somewhere, don't remember selling all the copies I had. If I can find one I'll let you know. Otherwise check with Blood Black Productions, or the band directly.

I have the bloodmoon of this Iron if someone me to make some copies  :headbang:

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »

I'v made a list of stuff to try and pick up, over the next few weeks, Bayoy don't have any releases as of yet, talking to hulk they were still struggling to find a singer or something. I'v seen Atolah live before, but have never heard of cease.

Tonight I'll scout these bands out well, i can't think now if i'v heard of Memoria.

haha yeah, i dont know how "under wraps" its meant to be, but they are recording at the moment, practically almost done. i think they decided to maintain the 4-piece and arent going to be looking for singers until the right person comes along. vox on the recording will be done by all the members.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
haha yeah, i dont know how "under wraps" its meant to be, but they are recording at the moment, practically almost done. i think they decided to maintain the 4-piece and arent going to be looking for singers until the right person comes along. vox on the recording will be done by all the members.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Bayou recordings. They're a great live band, and I personally think they sound jsut as good without a vocalist as with one. The wrong vocalist would do more harm than good, so they're making the right choice in waiting for the right person.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2010, 12:23:47 AM »

Syntax error, if that means you could get me a copy that would be splendid though.

True... yeah regardless i'm sure the recording will be fucking gnarly... I'd be tempted to give the vox a go maybe... Good musics hard to find round here.

Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Merlok

• WF Colonel
  • Keep the metal faith alive!! - Chuck Schuldiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2010, 03:32:02 AM »

Syntax error, if that means you could get me a copy that would be splendid though.

i hope the band doesnt mind but since im up at work in the middle of no where, ive uploaded the album to rapid shit

http://rapidshare.com/files/408367045/Spithre.rar

max 10 downloads.

Offline Black Sack

• WF Private
  • Fuck your Mouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2010, 07:05:21 AM »
Sweet :headbang:

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2010, 06:43:53 AM »
                              Wardaemonic - "Echoes of Ageless Flames"
                                         2010 (advanced copy)

Darker than the blackest shadows and grimmer than terminal bowel cancer, Wardaemonic lurk in the shadows of Perth, joylessly composing their hymns to madness and despair.

From the ultra-grim cover to the almost unreadably shadowy lyrical content, "Echoes of Ageless flames' takes us on a journey into the bleakest of realms, a land of moving shadows and malevolent spirits.  In this metal world of extremes, true black metal of this kind is possibly the extreme extremity of extremes, skirting the jagged edge of the point where music and white noise collide.  The sound is typical of the Scandanavian black metal sound, ragged, ugly and driven so hard that the underlying melody is sometimes hard to distinguish, taking all the most sinister elements of the genre and crafting their own anthems of demonic glee and inhuman suffering.
 Although they incorperate many elements of traditional black metal into their sound and image, Wardaemonic - and bless their little cotton socks for this - seem to have stepped away from the trend followed by the bands of this genre of being "true" by making the most low-grade and indecipherable recordings they can.  To put it another way, this album has all the malicious hate and black despair of the bands they draw influence from, but is actually listenable.   Heaven forfend!

Being no specialist in the reviewing of this blackest form of metal, I am somewhat limited in my understanding and experience of this sort of dire and foreboding music, but I do hear some recognisable influences in the music.  The way the album starts off with a strange array of dark churning effect and Hellish noise and builds slowly throughout the whole song is reminiscent of Bathory's epic "Blood Fire Death", but the structuring of some of the material sounds more to me in the vicinity of early Kvist or Burzum, certainly closer in feel to the early pioneers of the genre rather than the modern interpretations.  
On this album Wardaemonic have developed their style, sliding between ferocious songs with abrasive and ghastly vocals and the slower and more eerie and dramatic songs with painless transition, smoothly fetid like a ghoul slipping into a crypt to feed.  It is when they combine the two in a single song however like the 10th track "Paths to Silence" that they find something truly impressive, behind the arbitrary wall of noise there is a lot more going on, it just waits to be found.  Much as I like my metal nasty, it is in these moments of duality that Wardaemonic reach me, for between the blasting and snarling guitar tones, there are times when Wardaemonic show a good understanding of melody and artistic vision, the balance of vile intensity and the creation of dark soundscapes.  

Sometimes on "Echoes of Ageless Flames" they back it down even further, removing almost all the more aggressive instrumentation and drumming.  Song 7 "Incarnate Ethereal of Nine" (I think so anyway, fucking hard to read the shit) is an example of this, with Vocals delivered clean and then soaked in buckets of reverb and effect to create a ghostly song full of images of desolation, pain and inconsolable grief. As if this wasn't suprise enough, song 9 "Veils of Winter Mystercism" (I think) is 2 minutes of nothing but dark and brooding keyboard chords and effect, totally didn't see that coming at all.

Even so, there is little on this CD that could pass as even slightly uplifting, the theme is horribly unhappy and dripping with depressed hatred.  Old, Maelstrom, Regnator, Blitz and Anharat (I shall leave out their real names) have worked together well on this CD.  Everyone seems to contribute well, even in a band with a drummer as accomplished as Maelstrom nobody stands out as being dominant and indispensible.  On "Echoes of Ageless Flames"  Wardaemonic has built upon the rotted and festering foundations of their last effort "Through the Dark Pale Gravelands" and taken this new CD to the next level of dejection and misery.

The CD is darkness distilled, and I can tell you right now that you black metal freeks are gonna love this album.  

Review by Jez.

Listening to it now. I couldn't really get into it much before but giving it a good play and listen it sounds fuckin Awesome.