Author Topic: Logos  (Read 6785 times)

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
Logos
« on: May 12, 2010, 05:29:52 PM »
I had a thought - not a very well thought out thought mind you - that we could use a decent Band Logos Bank to make it easier to create posters and the like.  The other thing is that it could be fun to offer other users the option to redesign the Logos of other bands their own way, either seriously or as a joke. 

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
Re: Logos
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:45 PM »
Yeah this had occurred to me several times in the past and I even was thinking about adding it to the band details page on WF. Having a column for logos, so people could download them as needed. It would have to be up to the bands to make sure they were kept up to date though.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »
Yeah this had occurred to me several times in the past and I even was thinking about adding it to the band details page on WF. Having a column for logos, so people could download them as needed. It would have to be up to the bands to make sure they were kept up to date though.

Paula and I have built up a decent collection of logos, can't be too many bands we don't have on file by now. I know James has a whole heap too.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:16 PM »
Just get em off Metal Archives? I guess for established bands anyway.. And yeah, they'd only be jpegs and not photoshop documents. Nevermind.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »
Just get em off Metal Archives? I guess for established bands anyway.. And yeah, they'd only be jpegs and not photoshop documents. Nevermind.

Most of the logos found online need a bit of work before they're suitable for posters. It's very rare to find one that's on a plain white background, without any other funny things going on.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:19:08 AM »
Is best to save them as a PNG 24 with a transparent background or vector.

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
Is best to save them as a PNG 24 with a transparent background or vector.

Hahaha yeah - try explaining what a vector is to most band members, hilarity will ensue!

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:37:42 AM »

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 04:53:07 AM »

Paula and I have built up a decent collection of logos, can't be too many bands we don't have on file by now. I know James has a whole heap too.

Yeah I had a collection of about 80 logos and then my card got wiped. Wish I had a back up copy of that collection on a hard drive. had to start again from scratch. I'm always having to get logos from an image where the bands have gotten all excited with textures n layered images n colours and pulling it back to that simple black on white so i can make it a photo shop brush and use it on posters and save a copy for another time.
There's lots of bands out there however that are nice enough to have a white on black or black on white copy in their pics on myspace or website for us though. Those bands make me happy in the pants. thanks for that bands!

If anyone is having trouble with logos, from getting one made to just touch ups or like us, getting that black on white logo out of the edited band background/old poster. I'm happy to help, just msg me and we'll work it out! :D

-Wednesday.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 04:19:54 AM »
I have a few, mostly taken from the net and cleaned up.  Never as good as the real thing though. 

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »
Logos off the net are useless.. only 72dpi are not suitable for print (posters).
I have quite a collection of hi-res ones and ones I've cleaned up on my hard drive, and like I said have been meaning to put on WF. The best is for bands to have high resolution ones, and black and white / transparent background so they can be easily incorporated into the style of the poster / flyer / promo that is being used.