Author Topic: Gigs with bands from countries with growing metal scenes....  (Read 4183 times)

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
Gigs with bands from countries with growing metal scenes....
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:55 AM »
Metal is truly going global and for some weird reason I think Australia just isnt being a part of it.... We have quite a number of GOOD metal acts dishing out mature music from the lesser known developing countries...
Countries like Malaysia, Singapore, India, Dubai and the like...

Im seriously thinking of getting a bunch of bands down to Australia for a metal festival of sorts and have a couple of International Acts headline the event and have a bunch of bands from several countries, including Australia of course, open for them...

I would like your views on this...the pros and cons and in fact I would want to know if the any other organizer (among us) would be interested in a venture of this sort....

PS- The best part of it is that it would cost much lesser for the organizers to get such bands down in comparison to the local Aussie bands..... win win situation in my view!

Offline Melkor

• WF Colonel
  • Pissing through the Ring of Fire \m/
    • View Profile
Re: Gigs with bands from countries with growing metal scenes....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:02:58 PM »
bring Nervecell to perth  :headbang:
...and on the other a soldier with a bullet wound in his lower belly and his sphincter shot away so that his faeces are leaking out. The smell of excrement mingles with that of the scorching flesh of the corpses being burned in the distance.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:27:53 PM »
Bring KEI KUNIHIRO the Poetic Assassin!

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Hang on, it's cheaper to fly an international band to Perth, accommodate them, and pay them to play a gig than it is to get a local band?

You on drugs dude?

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:09:04 PM »
By "local" he may be referring to Interstate bands.

It would be best to follow BURGERKILL's lead and get "band x"on a major bill of a particular fest or tour here, then do all your headlining sideshows at the same time. January-March is best for those situations.

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
Im sorry i meant "interstate local bands".... for whom you would have to do practically the same thing as any of these other bands.. namely... fly an international band to Perth, accommodate them, and pay them to play a gig

yes Nervecell is a band im interested in.....

there are other bands as well...  Nerverek from India honestly aint great (quite amateurish in comparison to a few others)... there are a couple of really really good bands out of India actually....

Check out:
1. Inner Sanctum
http://www.myspace.com/innersanctumindia

Heard of these guys from Lasse Lammert Germany.. the guy who mixed and mastered their debut EP Provenance".. some of the most mature metal music i have heard in a while... in fact, my favourite EP of 2010.. And apparently these guys are amazing live!!

2. IIIRd sovereign
http://www.myspace.com/iiirdsovereignnew

Chanced upon them when I was checking out Inner Sanctum's myspace page... Good stuff.. Old school death metal... nuff said...

PS- The Australian dollar is QUITE strong in comparison to say the India rupee..(since we were referring to Indian  bands)...getting Indian bands down honestly aint as much as you guys think... same applies to Malaysia, Singapore etc etc
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:07:46 PM by oblivion »

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
Get Rudra down from Singapore. One of my favourite bands ever.

Demonic Ressurection are pretty good as well, they're from India.

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 01:14:22 AM »
While I love the enthusiasm and idea, things like Visa's may give you major grief..
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:36:53 AM »
While I love the enthusiasm and idea, things like Visa's may give you major grief..

Why do you think so??

Just wanted to know if you guys know of other organizers/managers who are on this forum....

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Get Rudra down from Singapore. One of my favourite bands ever.

Demonic Ressurection are pretty good as well, they're from India.

We are actually in talks with Rudra... dont really find Demonic Resurrection to be that appealing...

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:56 AM »
Fair enough. What about bands from Japan like Intestine Baalism and Sigh, both of them are fucking amazing bands.

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »
I'll say it again KEI KUNIHIRO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 02:44:16 AM »
Fair enough. What about bands from Japan like Intestine Baalism and Sigh, both of them are fucking amazing bands.

Japan has quite a good metal scene already with several bands tourin the world.. I for one believe the Japanes metal scene is way better than the australian....further most japanese bands charge a bomb...so doesnt work out financially..... im looking at Singapore, India, Malaysia etc...

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:50 AM »
And only bands YOU like..
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 04:05:55 AM »
There's only one band you should be thinking of when you mention Singapore.

IMPIETY!

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:09:50 AM »

haha i dont see why thats wrong... if I dont have faith in a particular band then why should i invest in them.... however, if you can show me a new band from one of these countries that I dont know about and it blows me away eg. Nervecell, inner sanctum, rudra etc then I will definitely think of it...

By the way, on a average, how much do you think an organizer would have to spend on ONE interstate band... im referring to flights..accom..and professional fee.. on an average... about 6000aud??

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 07:01:41 AM »
There really isn't one single answer to that question. You may in fact find it cheaper to get Aussie bands. Here's why I think this may be the case:

An Aussie band with a profile high enough to be known in another state (i.e WA) will quite possibly be in the process of, or thinking about touring anyway, in which case they will be funding it themselves (or DCA will be). Meanwhile I'd imagine South East Asian bands wouldn't exactly be rolling in cash so I doubt they'd be able to fund it themselves and would quite possibly need someone to pay their way. The reason we Australian metal bands often have to fund these things ourselves is because we have come to realise that the Australian metal scene is not big enough to do it for us. No touring company is going to fork out for flights, accommodation, van hire, gear hire etc for a band who will inevitably end up playing to 50 people at the Mandarin Club.

So what I'm saying is yes, if you paid, it would be expensive and you'd be silly if you put up huge amounts of cash to venture into a business which you obviously know little about. Now don't take offense to that, all I'm trying to do is give you my opinion. I admire your enthusiasm but it kinda sounds like a pipe dream to me. There is a reason why there are few successful gig/tour promoters, and that's because like any other industry it takes a lot of experience and working your way up from the bottom, and it's a big and RISKY investment to undertake any tour.

I assume you're probably suggesting that you want to organise a big enough festival that will generate the money you need to pay for bands' entire expenses but how would you plan to do that? Lets make a conservative estimate of around $5000 of expenses per band, half a dozen Asian and/or interstate Aussie bands plus maybe another 4 or 5 local bands to flesh it out a bit. What sort of venue would you hope for? Obviously an outdoor one would be aiming too high for a festival of that size. Too big, too expensive, permits, council approvals, all the requirements that go with it like first aid, food and drink stalls, stage rigging, PA hire etc etc etc (just to give you an idea of PA hire, I was FOH engineer at an outdoor concert just a couple of weeks back and you know how much it cost to hire the rig for 1 night? $16 000! It wasn't even a line array, just a standard, adequate outdoor PA). So realistically that's probably aiming a bit high and is why such events are left to the big guys.

Pubs/clubs, more realistic. However the only ones that would be big enough to potentially make anywhere near enough money to fund the whole venture are Nazis when it comes to assurance of numbers through the door. So much so that places like Amps/Capitol will not give you a date unless you're a high profile booking agent booking a high profile international band.

If you did manage to score a decent venue, you'd then have to think about ticket pricing. You're suggesting bringing over a bunch of bands that fuck all people will have heard of. The guys on here and a few other dudes and sheilas in the local scene may have heard them and would maybe be interested in seeing such a gig, but that would amount to absolutely fuck all in a big venue. The rest of the people you see on the street in Trivium or Lamb Of God shirts have probably never been to a local gig before and would probably have no interest in paying to see a bunch of South East Asian bands who they have never heard of, let alone pay for it. A band like some of the ones mentioned above would be no more appealing to your average metal fan than any local band. It's a shame but it's the truth. The general public just don't give two shits about metal bands who they haven't heard of and who aren't on major labels selling shitloads of CDs at JB HIFI.

I don't mean to be Captain Bumyouout but I thought I'd give you something to think about. Unless you have a shitload of cash and you have no intention of seeing any of it again, then I think it's a great idea and I applaud your intentions, but if you're wanting to do this as a business venture, or even just to get a foot in the door, then you might want to think of simpler ways to get started.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 07:01:57 AM »
Fuck, long post.

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »

haha i dont see why thats wrong... if I dont have faith in a particular band then why should i invest in them.... however, if you can show me a new band from one of these countries that I dont know about and it blows me away eg. Nervecell, inner sanctum, rudra etc then I will definitely think of it...

Sure, there's nothing wrong with it, in reading your post slower the second time around I can see you've pretty much decided on the bands, and you're asking for other promoters' support as opposed to band suggestions. 

Also, IMPIETY.

You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
Impiety are fucking awesome.  :headbang:

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
Bring over Corrupted from Japan... Probably a bit better known most of the 3rd world bands. Heaviest band ever and i stand by that.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline HARD

• WF Colonel
  • 2nd RedD album KINGDOMS out August 2011
    • View Profile
    • Red Descending Home Page
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »

Unless you have a shitload of cash and you have no intention of seeing any of it again, then I think it's a great idea and I applaud your intentions, but if you're wanting to do this as a business venture, or even just to get a foot in the door, then you might want to think of simpler ways to get started.

some great points there.. even though it is fun to dream about fun stuff sometimes it is necessary getting back to reality and to spend time on other ventures which are easier to accomplish that will help metal too... ie. metal compilation CDs, underground mags, metal forums (like this one!)
It would be awesome if someone like Richard Branson liked Metal, then we would be sorted.

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
  • Invite the Darkside In....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »
P.s.  How can you be thinking of splashing around cash for the Perth metal scene if you are a complete noob on Western Front, because surely that's where all the pro's hang out????
 ;)

Captain Bumyouout is a very sensible, reasonable fellow.  He will also work for free on your project because he likes metal, lives in Perth and is good as his (still free) job.

In saying that, excellent ideas rarely come from reasonable minds and i applaude your ideas and think it would be def worth a shot.  Do your homework, try to avoid paying up for front for ANYTHING and figure out how any agreement you make with be symbiotic for both parties.  (Think Rhinoceroes and Flea eating bird.. in fact, think Captain Bumyouout and fleaEating Bird.  :laugh:)
Conquest is made from the ashes of ones enemies...

Offline oblivion

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 01:31:51 AM »
I more or less agree with most of the above posts... It doesnt make too much sense (if you apply this to nonasian bands) but youve got to realize that most (not all) asian bands play for free...and thats something I know... thats why i am not looking at Japanese bands...

its the exposure that they are looking at... the chance to play in australia.... in comparison..  interstate bands expect to be paid...and paid upfront! in addition to travel and accom.... thats where the difference lies...

Asian bands will do a show out of their respective countries if an organizer pays for transport and accom.... and these bands are GOOD.. not some semi-pro college act...but top notch musicians... does this make sense now??

I totally get what cyanide_christ is trying to say... he most prob plays for an aussie band and sees asian bands taking his/his band's place....
Kinda feels similar to the Business Process Outsourcing concept.... get asians to do an americans job.. at half the price and equal efficiency....

And Just so you know...this WONT take away anyhting from the local (not interstate) aussie bands..coz they get to play alongside these asian acts!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:33:25 AM by oblivion »