Author Topic: Gigs with bands from countries with growing metal scenes....  (Read 4185 times)

Offline HARD

• WF Colonel
  • 2nd RedD album KINGDOMS out August 2011
    • View Profile
    • Red Descending Home Page
Re: Gigs with bands from countries with growing metal scenes....
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »

I totally get what cyanide_christ is trying to say... he most prob plays for an aussie band

no band that I've ever heard of!  ;)

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:56 AM »
Haha, that's not very nice. :P I don't think he feels like that to be honest, but I'll just sit back and watch the bullets fly whilst eating popcorn.

I think that it would be awesome if you manage to pull this off, you just need to go through the right methods of promotion as such. Maybe speak to someone that does good promotion over here in Perth such as Dysie from Soundworks?

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 01:49:29 AM »
I more or less agree with most of the above posts... It doesnt make too much sense (if you apply this to nonasian bands) but youve got to realize that most (not all) asian bands play for free...and thats something I know... thats why i am not looking at Japanese bands...

its the exposure that they are looking at... the chance to play in australia.... in comparison..  interstate bands expect to be paid...and paid upfront! in addition to travel and accom.... thats where the difference lies...

Asian bands will do a show out of their respective countries if an organizer pays for transport and accom.... and these bands are GOOD.. not some semi-pro college act...but top notch musicians... does this make sense now??

I totally get what cyanide_christ is trying to say... he most prob plays for an aussie band and sees asian bands taking his/his band's place....
Kinda feels similar to the Business Process Outsourcing concept.... get asians to do an americans job.. at half the price and equal efficiency....

And Just so you know...this WONT take away anyhting from the local (not interstate) aussie bands..coz they get to play alongside these asian acts!

No, that's not the reason for my post. I was explaining that I think your idea of the music 'biz' may be a tad misguided.

Some Aussie bands may expect to be paid upfront but I think you'll find a lot won't and they'll be just like the Asian bands who just want to play. For example, our first Aus tour we funded ourselves with the help of ArtsWA. Payment for the gigs was a bonus to us and was generally an x dollars per head amount so that if the gig was a flop, we weren't getting paid more than organisers could afford. Last time we played a gig there was the metal awards in Sydney which we were ASKED to play. We were offered an amount of money which didn't even cover half the expense of the trip which we had to pay for ourselves but that didn't matter to us, we paid the money so we could play the gig and have a wicked weekend.

I think you'll find most Australian bands will share a similar attitude.

I wasn't trying to shoot you down.

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 05:15:32 AM »
hahaha mandarin club.... that was awesome :-X

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
  • Invite the Darkside In....
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 08:02:11 AM »
Oranges.  Like Manderins.  But Harder.
Conquest is made from the ashes of ones enemies...