Author Topic: New Neverborn Tracks From "Decimator" on MYSPACE  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
Re: New Neverborn Tracks From "Decimator" on MYSPACE
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:21 AM »
Another review here, this one from a UK based Webzine:
http://www.metalteamuk.net/may10reviews/cdreviews-neverborn.htm

Somehow, this highly original Australian crew have slipped under my radar. `Decimator? is their third full-length studio album, and yet I?ve never come across the name before. Not knowing anything substantial about the scene in Western Australia, I can only assume that it takes a long time for bands to be known anywhere outside of their local scene, and that these guys have spent a long time deep in the underground...It is a genuine surprise that a band that can produce albums of such decent quality, and yet I?ve not seen a huge advertising campaign all over the net, magazines etc.

Regardless, here is their third album ? and I?m guessing that they must pretty proud of it, all things considered. It seems to me that Neverborn must have purchased special `clich?-avoiding instruments? especially for the recording of the album; not one song contains any kind of banal, run-of-the-mill sub-genre metal clich?, and instead the band dazzle us with their diversity, creativity and musical skill.

It?s difficult to pin down the sound of Neverborn, but I?ll try. I?m aware that just listing a swathe of band names is lazy journalism, but this might give you some idea of how diverse they are; imagine the insanely catchy riffing and musical gymnastics of Children Of Bodom, the muscular thrashing of Testament, the progressive, dark shredding of later-period Death, all combined with dashes of atmospheric Dimmu Borgir, the odd Pantera-like crunchy swagger (if` crunchy swagger? is possible!), a dose of classic metal, electronica, and a few other things besides! I can think of very few other bands who mix such a huge range of influences; only French avante-gardists Misanthrope, and Derbyshire?s Cruel Humanity spring to mind to the mind at the moment.

Never predictable, Neverborn keep us guessing on each track ?the guitar riffs swing violently from catchy to brutal and back in the blink of an eye. One minute they have their arms round your shoulder in a group headbanging singalong, the next minute they are tearing you face off. One thing I am particularly impressed with is the use of keyboards ?a fair majority of bands with keyboards either have an ape in a cloak playing one note throughout each song, or believe that keyboard players are to be seen but not heard.

http://www.myspace.com/madnessmyfriend

Jon Butlin