Author Topic: A statement regarding The Castle  (Read 12532 times)

Offline venismecha

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: A statement regarding The Castle
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 08:00:45 PM »
Regardless of your intentions as a business owner, i.e. if it's "not about money, just about supporting the scene" or whatever, there are still minimum standards you must adhere to, and you still basically have to run it like a business.

It's just common sense.

If it's good, people will go, and bands will love playing there, and you will make money, which you can then reinvest and make the place even better.

Oh capitalism.
fight like a girl club

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
On the subject of other venues,

I know Freo's quite a distance for almost everyone here but maybe we should try to organize more gigs at the Norfolk Basement. It's a good venue and located at the heart of the cafe strip in Freo. There's your Norfolk hotel pub upstairs and the Basement seems to be ideal for starting bands. It's got good ambiance and good beers on tap, plus it's a good spot to roam around, get a kebab, and move on to another waterhole once the gig's over. Memoria, Nails of Imposition and Khariot played there the last time and we had a good response. The only thing would be that there would only be 3 bands on the bill and that the stage is small, but these are all obstacles easily conquered. Apparently it was the first time the Norfolk Basement had metal playing and there was a good turn up, so they might have more metal gigs happening there in the future.

While it is possible to pull a good crowd in Freo there's no guarantees.... You can have the best lineup of the weekend but if people can't be bothered travelling they'll stay home and get pissed instead. We've played plenty of gigs up that way and you either play to a packed room or an empty one.

That's true. I have to say, the two times we've played in Railway hotel we've pretty much played to a crowd of 4-10 people. But I thought that was also because of it's distance to everything else. The Norfolk seems to have a pull, if not from the metalhead crowd of WF, it'd be from the oddball crowd of lesbians, alternative folk and hipsters and your occasional random curious Metro queers wandering too far from their fake tan crowd and also bunch of other people due to it's easy access to a trainline and taxis. The street that the Railway is at, is completely dead and hardly anyone drives past unless they're buying booze. That said, I'd prefer playing and going to a gig at a more central venue and I think most of us would.

It's sad that the Castle is closing down, because all the gigs Khariot played there have always been heaps of fun and have gotten a better crowd than most of the other venues we've played at. Sure it looked like it was about to collapse and you had to wipe your hands on a towel that probably had bacteria growing on bacteria, but the placed served a purpose and that was to be good starting experience for new bands.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »
"The Castle is not re-opening due to bad publicity from bands. This was our home for metal"

... says the Facebook site.

Pretty disappointing really.

Are they suggesting the bands didn't publicise their gigs enough, or are they suggesting bands were saying negative things about the Castle, which ultimately caused it to go under?

The latter is unlikely, but either way, is this not a slap in the face to all the bands that played the Castle all these years?
You could just as easily blame it on Castle management for not acting upon the concerns and suggestions of its clients.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the bands were the reason for the Castle SURVIVING, not going under.

Businesses open and close all the time, particularly in this current rnvironment. I don't think its necessary to lay the blame on any one factor or group.

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
So the Castle has closed it's doors because a few people made a few complaints on WF forum?  If this is the case, the owner/manager must have been on here?

Otherwise, they just changed direction for other reasons - like more profits in other avenues - but if this fails, they'd probably re-open their doors again.

Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
 :-X
Check out our band, Arkarion:
http://www.arkarion.com

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:25 PM »
"The Castle is not re-opening due to bad publicity from bands. This was our home for metal"

Nice and spiteful... :err:
I must slumber, per se.

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »

That info was taken from a group called "Bring Back The Castle" which looks like it was created by fans of the venue....so I wouldn't take anything written on there as coming from The Castle management
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:53:13 PM by DamoESP »

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »

That info was taken from a group called "Bring Back The Castle" which looks like it was created by fans of the venue....so I wouldn't take anything written on there as coming from The Castle management

Ah, I see... I misinterpreted that as a statement from "The Castle" (and their respective facebook page, assuming they have one), mah bad. :P
I must slumber, per se.

Offline DamoESP

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 12:19:54 AM »

Ah, I see... I misinterpreted that as a statement from "The Castle" (and their respective facebook page, assuming they have one), mah bad. :P

Yeah from Damo's post I could see how that mistake could be made, hence why I thought I would clear it up :)

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »
If it's good, people will go, and bands will love playing there, and you will make money, which you can then reinvest and make the place even better.
True !  In theory. At the end of the day Wayne lost confidence in the scene, therefore making it very difficult to throw money at it.
One thing I can say about Wayne over the last 6 years is he is very loyal to those who show loyalty and respect to him.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out that the bands were the reason for the Castle SURVIVING, not going under.

No. Quite the opposite. I cant ever recall a music venue closing through lack of support. Wayne never really set out to make money, nor did he make any money from The Castle. His money is made through his other interests. He is not a typical profile publican, which wouldve jazzed the joint up ages ago into some wanky wine bar or something, or sold the place off to a hungry developer. Hes just a guy in the music industry wanting a place for bands to get out of the garage and hit the stage. I know it sounds wishy washy and no-ones perfect, thats Wayne or anyone else, but in a nutshell that was always the intention.

I should have clarified in the beginning that I was posting through Wayne, summarising a phone call in a paragraph.
The facebook page seems to be created and run by Beth Crookes, so the title line of the page is her interpretation of the announcement only.

So the Castle has closed it's doors because a few people made a few complaints on WF forum?  If this is the case, the owner/manager must have been on here
No not true. Complaints on a WF forum is a very small detail in the bigger picture overall.
Its the same if someone complained and bitched about your band, you wouldnt quit the band.
Yes, he does read the threads, and does phone me about it on the odd occasion.

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2010, 04:45:00 AM »
Andrew who works at the Norfolk also sings in Memoria.
More metal gigs are welcome.  So it was a success.  100+ppl.  More than 95% i hadnt seen before too.
They've got a really good soundguy there who's apparently won an award/s for sound... and he's done festivals.
And it sounded great there.Great vibe. Nice small venue. Perfect.
Theres the train that knocks off just after 12am...if travel is a concern, and just down the road The Clink has Milfs there too for all the celibate types ;)

The Castle was a good venue.Better than a lot of shitboxes ive seen world class bands play in.

metal :headbang: :headbang:

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2010, 05:08:25 AM »
True !  In theory. At the end of the day Wayne lost confidence in the scene, therefore making it very difficult to throw money at it.
One thing I can say about Wayne over the last 6 years is he is very loyal to those who show loyalty and respect to him.

No. Quite the opposite. I cant ever recall a music venue closing through lack of support. Wayne never really set out to make money, nor did he make any money from The Castle. His money is made through his other interests. He is not a typical profile publican, which wouldve jazzed the joint up ages ago into some wanky wine bar or something, or sold the place off to a hungry developer. Hes just a guy in the music industry wanting a place for bands to get out of the garage and hit the stage. I know it sounds wishy washy and no-ones perfect, thats Wayne or anyone else, but in a nutshell that was always the intention.

I should have clarified in the beginning that I was posting through Wayne, summarising a phone call in a paragraph.
The facebook page seems to be created and run by Beth Crookes, so the title line of the page is her interpretation of the announcement only.

So the Castle has closed it's doors because a few people made a few complaints on WF forum?  If this is the case, the owner/manager must have been on here
No not true. Complaints on a WF forum is a very small detail in the bigger picture overall.
Its the same if someone complained and bitched about your band, you wouldnt quit the band.
Yes, he does read the threads, and does phone me about it on the odd occasion.

Here here!

People can assume the obvious - that it's either his fault through lack of cashflow/passion/business sense, this isn't really the case at all.. It's not a case of him going under by failing to cover his overheads or anything like that. If it was about the money he wouldn't have handed over $9 out of the $10 entry fee people charge when putting on shows there straight over to the promoter for divying up every night. I was always stunned that this happened and wondered how the fuck he held onto the place so long to do this, let alone covering his overheads. Incidentally he told me it was more incentive for the bands to keep doing their thing and to put back into their music etc.

The sceptics can believe what they want and twist it into whatever they'd like to believe but I truly believe that this will be a bigger hit to the growth of the local metal scene than what people let on. Wayne was a charitable guy to keep the place going for as long as he did and a selfless individual who had the best interests of local music at heart.

Also, despite the comments of some people speaking on behalf of - I don't subscribe to the thought that he'd be bitter towards any particular scene or crowds. By the sounds of it he's just lost the passion to keep it open after years of ridicule and is more keen to pursue other avenues in music instead.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2010, 06:31:51 AM »
If it was about the money he wouldn't have handed over $9 out of the $10 entry fee people charge when putting on shows there straight over to the promoter for divying up every night. I was always stunned that this happened and wondered how the fuck he held onto the place so long to do this, let alone covering his overheads. Incidentally he told me it was more incentive for the bands to keep doing their thing and to put back into their music etc.

Yeah, I was quite surprised how much of the door money Morden got for our first gig there... way more than I would have expected, so I can only agree with the above statement... I've played at other venues and got nothing more than a glass of water on stage.

I must slumber, per se.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2010, 07:28:08 AM »
So what are Wayne's plans going forward in regards to the Castle? or has he just closed the doors & still contemplating.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
So what are Wayne's plans going forward in regards to the Castle? or has he just closed the doors & still contemplating.

Yeah, that's it at the moment. He's still thinking over his options.

Offline Keg

• WF Lieutenant
  • CDT - Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
wayne owns the land there aswell hey ? potential gold mine !

i played my first ever live gig there few yrs back now with Ardent  :headbang:

but now if bands dont have it "so easy" to say to get the chance to play live.... wont the standard of bands increase ?

and for a different view on things similar to what Paula said earlier about a larger business looking after the smaller one, Now would really be the chance for the larger more established bands within the same genre to take some of these younger "green" bands under there wing so to speak and give them the chance of playing more shows along side the more established bands.
..... support the scene that supports you ?

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2010, 03:25:56 PM »

maybe if you look at it through glass-half-full-eyes it reads that it is not re-opening due to bad publicity, but is re-opening for a completely different reason  :P

hey, I tried to lighten the mood
Mongeese like results

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
wayne owns the land there aswell hey ? potential gold mine !

Uuhh.. I seriously doubt it.

My guess is a lease agreement or something along those lines.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
Should broadcast a Perth Metal Show from the Castle:

Offline Grimmy

• WF Major
  • These mountains which I heart
    • View Profile
    • RTRFM 92.1 Critical Mass
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »
SCHWING!! :P

Anger Management TV show? :hmm:

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2010, 02:42:26 AM »
Should broadcast a Perth Metal Show from the Castle:

Hey thats a great idea  :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:25:31 PM by Dementor »

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
I'm not sure it counts as dragging when the thread is 2 days old.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Dementor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »
I'm not sure it counts as dragging when the thread is 2 days old.
What are you on about?

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2010, 06:03:55 PM »
:clap:
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline WarNick

• WF Alcohobbit
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2010, 09:30:53 AM »
Oh look, he found the delete button! Well.. This is one mong we've under-estimated!