Author Topic: A statement regarding The Castle  (Read 12524 times)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A statement regarding The Castle
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 05:17:58 AM »

Even just the past month, I've noticed the difference not having the Castle makes. There has been no where to go to just hang out with friends and listen to some music, without having to put up with the rest of the city.

It was a great place for that. No bouncers, No metro dickheads. Well not many anyway.
Maybe Dyson and Brad should buy the joint and do to it what they did with Soundworks.  :headbang:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:20:17 AM by Nosaj »

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »
FUCK! This is a real shame, Threshold has had a fuckin kick ass time there every time we played! I realy will miss the place. But what the fuck is it going to get used for now? I remember reading somewhere on here that it wasnt getting much renovating done, just fixing up a few things, so in its current configuration, what the fuck else is it good for apart from live music?

Might go back to being a cabaret restaurant  :err:

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
  • Invite the Darkside In....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 05:23:33 AM »
That sucks, i may have fallen through the floor there, but chaos played our very first show there on a Wednesday night.

:'(

Hahaha. Heard that story.  Pigeons shitting on Ben's snare. hahahaha
Conquest is made from the ashes of ones enemies...

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 05:35:12 AM »
Can you really attribute people's opinions posted on WF to this?   Who gave Wayne crap?

"The owner has stated that the support that the venue has through local bands is not enough to warrant the expense of re-fitting and improving the layout of the venue"  

You gotta spend money to make money, unfortunately they couldn't do either.  It didn't need that much money thrown at it to make it acceptable again.  It's a fine line between running a successful business and relying soley on the proceeds of punters and local bands.

Paula, you need to chill lady, some of the comments you're posting on the facebook group blaming the people that did go there (and didn't) and the people that offered to help and made constructive suggestions on improvements aren't doing you any favours.  No-one wanted it closed, or turned into a glittery gay bar, just functional enough to support the stage and the bands that played.
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 05:41:58 AM »
FUCK! This is a real shame, Threshold has had a fuckin kick ass time there every time we played! I realy will miss the place. But what the fuck is it going to get used for now? I remember reading somewhere on here that it wasnt getting much renovating done, just fixing up a few things, so in its current configuration, what the fuck else is it good for apart from live music?

It used to be a restaurant/function venue.

Without getting too carried away with this news, I feel bad for the new upcoming bands, who in-turn will be feeling a bit cheated that they dont have the same opportunities that bands in the past have enjoyed in regards to playing live and honing their stage skills.

Sure the Civic is open but only 8 bands a week can play there, and who says they will stay "Metal Friendly". Indie bands Punk Bands Dance Acts, Cover bands, Touring bands and every other genre in town need venues too.

To me its very alarming that the bottom end of the Metal scene is falling out, so new bands aren't coming through the ranks like they did in the past,and I can only see it getting worse, I'm sorry but thats how it is.
The old saying goes " You gotta start somewhere!!", nowadays its more like "You got nowhere to start!!"

In regards to the fixing thing, why would you put your funds into fixing a venue that people dont support. Waynes got other interests that he's focusing on.
This has been coming for quite sometime and after 6 years, Waynes hopping off the merry-go-round and fair enough too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 06:16:59 AM by The Usurper »

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 06:07:51 AM »
Like I said, maybe he should just rent it to someone who wants to use it as a studio.
No staff to pay $$$
Less maintenance $$$
No license fee for booze sales $$$
No fee as a live venue $$$
etc etc

Hell I would be interested if the price was right. 

He could even lower the rent if the tenant was willing to take on some of the basic repair work  ;)

Just a thought.

Offline Sins Of The Father

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 06:20:15 AM »
Um I think Wayne's involved with another studio, is a cool idea though, Perth needs a stable metal/rock venue  but something modern and new and up to international act quality, it can make money and support the local scene, just needs a lot of financial muscle.

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 06:22:06 AM »
it needs a small one too though, for bands starting out. because the bigger venues don't let those play.

-Wednesday.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:07 AM »
small what?

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 06:26:10 AM »
small metal/rock venue/s

-Wednesday.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 06:32:08 AM »
Oh I get ya, well essential it would just be a modern version of the castle but massively double renno'ed and made to money making standards.

Its just a matter of it being on the market and for someone with $$$ to come along and make it into something. Most clubs are a massive gamble starting out and weve all seen many go up and down but hey if it takes off then it would be pretty gravy.

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 06:37:31 AM »
mm, well the problem seems to be, small venues are good for starting out, but because they're small they can't fit many people in and the new bands dont often pull much of a crowd so the venue doesn't make much money, especially not as much as a big venue, but the big venue only has the big bands play. maybe if a company/individual owned one of both, the two could support each other, and the bands who start off at the small venue would build a crowd n work their way to the headlining spot, then start supporting the bigger bands at the bigger venue and work their way to the headlining spot there. all while the big venue financially supports the small venue and bands and the small venue works with the big one to discover and nurture local talent as it gets to the headlining spots.

-Wednesday.

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »
Its not really that small of a venue, just needs a massive gutting, if done right could hold as many people as rocket room and if it holds international acts as regularly as they have been coming then it would make money from that as well. During the week you would have international bands of metal/rock/punk and all their other subgenres and could even be all ages. Then on w/es you 2 nights for w/e festivities.

Proper booze supply will help a lot there a lot you could do with this place but it all comes down to $$ and research.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
Without getting too carried away with this news, I feel bad for the new upcoming bands, who in-turn will be feeling a bit cheated that they dont have the same opportunities that bands in the past have enjoyed in regards to playing live and honing their stage skills.

Sure the Civic is open but only 8 bands a week can play there, and who says they will stay "Metal Friendly". Indie bands Punk Bands Dance Acts, Cover bands, Touring bands and every other genre in town need venues too.

To me its very alarming that the bottom end of the Metal scene is falling out, so new bands aren't coming through the ranks like they did in the past,and I can only see it getting worse, I'm sorry but thats how it is.
The old saying goes " You gotta start somewhere!!", nowadays its more like "You got nowhere to start!!"

Since when were young up and coming bands owed a favour? Never in my time...

For the longest time I remember the only way I could ever get gigs with my (then) new bands was to work my ass off and try to convince venues to put us on when they otherwise had no interest in live music at all. Even way out places like the Seaview Tavern were difficult to book for a new band - but still do-able. It has always been difficult.

Seeing any venue close is a shame, and The Castle may have been good for the metal scene, but as you suggest, opportunities are closing for all bands of all styles right now - original AND cover.

Its not a case of metal not getting a 'fair go' or young bands missing out - Its just a sign of whats going on globally. Companies are failing because the money isnt there to support them. You can blame it on punters as much as you like, but they have bills and overheads to pay too - and like just about everyone else right now, the money may just not be there for them to continually keep going out and spending money on taxis, entry fees and drinks at the bar.

Also, we can joke about missing hand-towels, warm beer and holes in the floor, but its entirely likely that these conditions also contributed to punters attendance declining.

The Civic isnt necessarily 'Metal Friendly'. I myself played at the Civic a few months ago and admittedly it was a pretty hard slog getting people to the place (Manny nearly put himself in hospital with the stress he put himself under to make the show successful), but punters DID show up through perseverence and hard work. Any new band could do the same.

I doubt Frank (Civic promoter) would even care what bands are in attendance - as long as their supporters are too.
To be fair, if metal bands start losing venues to rock, pop, indie or punk bands, they'd have only themselves to blame - through lack of promo, professionalism, or business sense. In fact, right now, if a venue is to be successful, it needs bums on seats - and I doubt they would care which band or musical genre brings them.

My $0.02

Offline FutileBreadMachine

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Xenobiotic.
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 07:06:59 AM »
That's really sad. It's like that feeling you get when a friend-of-a-friend dies. My band only played there about 4 times, but man, that place had the best vibe. Every gig we ever did there was followed by a deep sense of satisfaction... even though we were really shit and had zero crowd response... still good.

Offline Stringer

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 07:53:54 AM »
Hmmmm,  While is is kind of sad, for newer bands and the people involved in running the castle, I don't see how it really has a huge impact on the scene.

We have the civic,the rocket room,the charles,swan basement, railway hotel for newer bands....all of which are relatively easy to book a gig at...

And as lame as the WF boards some times get, I have to say I never did once read any one say "close the castle down" ,or they wanted it gone....all any one wanted were some much needed improvements for patrons and bands.

If alot of these new bands are going to be upset by this place closing down feeling they have no were to play, well I spose youll just have to get a little more serious, hone your craft and become a decent band who is worthy of playing decent venues, or book your own shows some where else that will be happy to have you, like the ones listed above...

In no way am I dissing any one who has played the castle as alot of good locals bands have played there, but lets face it the castle had no standards for patrons or bands....Any one or any thing could play there, and it never evolved or tried to become a respected and professional venue for live acts, which is why alot of mature and/or veteran bands and patrons thought it a joke, ,needed many changes or thought it had potential to be great it was just never expanded on.

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
I feel bad for the new upcoming bands, who in-turn will be feeling a bit cheated that they dont have the same opportunities that bands in the past have enjoyed in regards to playing live and honing their stage skills.

This may come as a surprise, but bands existed before The Castle.  They all climbed through the ranks, had their first gig somewhere, had to hone their stage skills somewhere, and it wasn't necessarily a small/exclusive/central venue either.  They scored gigs because they put themselves out there like Damo said, and the only advantage bands had back then were fewer bands and fewer promoters.  The Castle was handed to new bands on a platter by promoters who would often seek them out, which is fine, but now "the bottom end of the scene is falling out" and "you've got nowhere to start" (which is a pretty dramatic take on the situation) will mean that promoters and bands alike will have to change their MO.

So it served everyone well over the years and good on everyone involved, an end of an era maybe, but not the end of the metal scene.  

In fact, right now, if a venue is to be successful, it needs bums on seats - and I doubt they would care which band or musical genre brings them.

Exactly!  
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Stringer

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 08:00:51 AM »
yah, ded is, dead on

Offline Anacrucify

• WF Colonel
  • Heathens!!!
    • View Profile
    • Lacrymae @ MySpace
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »
New bands will be fine. Get friendly with veteran bands and you'll play good venues. How do you do that? Write good music. Impress someone with some influence. Look at Advent Sorrow. 5th(?) show was at Amps. How'd they do it? They wrote good metal and stood out. You don't need to work your way up from the bottom, you just need a good product.

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »
their first show was at the castle? maybe second? organized by me :P I'd heard about them and gave them a chance. well worth it.

-Wednesday.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 03:45:01 PM »
Damo is right, there was no Castle when we started out and we did it the hard way.  Our first real gigs were opening slots on Metalfests that started at 2 in the arvo, reallly crap stuff. 

The Castle will be missed, but it isn't the end of the world.  We thought we were fucked when the Grosvenor closed, and then again when the White Sands did.  We weren't then and we won't be now.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 07:01:10 PM »
Yea we spent a LONG time opening for more established acts @ the good ole whitesands. We had to earn our place & take ANY opener that was on offer. Even on short notice, like 3hrs before the gig hahahahaha

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »
On the subject of other venues,

I know Freo's quite a distance for almost everyone here but maybe we should try to organize more gigs at the Norfolk Basement. It's a good venue and located at the heart of the cafe strip in Freo. There's your Norfolk hotel pub upstairs and the Basement seems to be ideal for starting bands. It's got good ambiance and good beers on tap, plus it's a good spot to roam around, get a kebab, and move on to another waterhole once the gig's over. Memoria, Nails of Imposition and Khariot played there the last time and we had a good response. The only thing would be that there would only be 3 bands on the bill and that the stage is small, but these are all obstacles easily conquered. Apparently it was the first time the Norfolk Basement had metal playing and there was a good turn up, so they might have more metal gigs happening there in the future.

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 07:42:31 PM »
On the subject of other venues,

I know Freo's quite a distance for almost everyone here but maybe we should try to organize more gigs at the Norfolk Basement. It's a good venue and located at the heart of the cafe strip in Freo. There's your Norfolk hotel pub upstairs and the Basement seems to be ideal for starting bands. It's got good ambiance and good beers on tap, plus it's a good spot to roam around, get a kebab, and move on to another waterhole once the gig's over. Memoria, Nails of Imposition and Khariot played there the last time and we had a good response. The only thing would be that there would only be 3 bands on the bill and that the stage is small, but these are all obstacles easily conquered. Apparently it was the first time the Norfolk Basement had metal playing and there was a good turn up, so they might have more metal gigs happening there in the future.

While it is possible to pull a good crowd in Freo there's no guarantees.... You can have the best lineup of the weekend but if people can't be bothered travelling they'll stay home and get pissed instead. We've played plenty of gigs up that way and you either play to a packed room or an empty one.

Offline Cunty the Sardine

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
Well the new shit-rag must have cost a lot.  ;)