Author Topic: Single coil neck pickup for Jackson  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
Single coil neck pickup for Jackson
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:04:07 AM »
Perry i know you can make pickups but have you made a super high output single coil for the neck position. A humbucker in a single coil so to speak.

For B tuning with:
bass 8/10
treble 3/10
mid 3/10
output 350+

id like it to sound super warm but still has clarity too.
alder body so it might be an issue.
Its for a jackson usa soloist which i recently got and want to hotrod and do some mods to it.
cheers
METAL :headbang:

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
Re: Single coil neck pickup for Jackson
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:25:13 AM »
Essentially, the 'clarity' that most people refer to is achieved through top end so to want a warm neck pup sound doesn't really lend itself to clarity, especially if you want it quite dark. Also I think you'll find the less mids you have, the less of this 'clarity' you'll achieve. Mids are where guitars shine through a mix above the rest of the band. An all bass tone will cause you to be completely lost in a mix and will make you sound super muddy and gross. Gotta have mids.

Having said that, I don't know if pickups can be configured so specifically. Maybe they can, I don't know. Pickups aren't exactly my specialty.

Oh and you can get hot rails pickups which are a small humbucker to fit in a single coil space.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
What is high output? Why do you think you need it to have high output? How do you even know if something is high output? What does "350+" refer to?

You wont get clarity with output unless you also want it to sound sterile.

You wont get bass with oputput, without treble, without muddiness.

Warmth and clarity comes from low output (which does not mean low volume)

Winding a hotter pickup adds mids, removes bass and treble, to the point you have to use a different magnet to artificially boost the bass and treble (ceramic mags). Ceramic mags would never ever be described as warm. They are brittle and harsh.

Essentually, you are asking for the impossible, in a normal pickup.

Maybe a three coil version of one of these we recently made, might work. That way we can select three different windings (and magnets) for each pair of strings. Could even add an adjustable tone and volume control to each coil.

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
The bass,mid and treble i was refering to was from a Dimarzio website that has this in its specs so i went off that. Output was the same.

i.e super distortion output was 325 with dc resistance 13.18k bass 8 mid 7.5 treb 5
tone zone output was 300 with dc resistance 12.39k bass 8 mid 8.5 treb 5

what the output means i can only guess they're using some scale for overall gain,distortion,tone..beats me

As for high output its simple. whilst playing different guitars with humbuckers (with same tuning) on my amp the difference is immediate to me.
PAF Pro is has more clarity but less power,Dimarzio X2N screams, JB is in between.Yes, there is the build and wood factor but i notice the difference.

Just asking
 ;)

Mids are great!!
 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: