Author Topic: The Good Ole Days  (Read 2908 times)

Offline HammerSmashed

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Hammer Smashed Mag
The Good Ole Days
« on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:34 AM »
Goin' back a couple of years, nearly 20 to be rough, I was heavily involved in the local metal scene. At some point, maybe 15 or 16 years ago?, myself and a Really Good Mate of mine came up with this fucking awesome idea while pissed on double Jim Beam? and Coke?, at an Allegiance? gig maybe? (feel free to jump in Dave, where ever you are, at anytime and correct me).

We reckoned it'd be a good idea, seeing as how he was an internet genius and working for an ISP (he was the webmaster for the Allegiance? website at the time), and I was pretending to be a graphic artist? we should collab in order to start a website to promote  our friends bands and any gigs they might be playing, mainly so we could get in to those gigs for nothing, seeing as how we were promoting it, but also in the hope that more than 7 people would rock up to the gigs, and maybe a few chicks would show up too!

Not long after we got our first page up we organised a little gig at the Whitesands to launch it. I think we got about 15 paid people through the door. I got so drunk that night, I slept in the bushes on West Coast Hwy somewhere between the old Observation City and Quinns Rock.

In the early days of the Western Front the main aim was simple, aside from the free gigs, it was an easy way for dudes in bands to contact other dudes in bands in order to organise gigs. There were so many young bands from so many genres that didn't really know any other dudes in bands, so they'd play at party or some shite pub somewhere with 5 old men and bar maid with saggy tits as an audience. Not really a character building environment for an upcoming brutal death metal band.

It kinda sorta worked, kinda. Instead of a gig every 3 months, we started to see one a month, then one a fortnight, then Satan? forbid, some nights we were spoilt for choice. We could catch Choke and Kin at Grosvenor, or Pagan and Impact Winter at the Whitesands on the same night. Two metal gigs in one night was unheard of back then.

I'm not saying this was all happening purely because of the Western Front, but it certainly had an influence on what was happening around the city, bringing bands who normally wouldn't associate or didn't know each other together, which for us at the time, was exactly what we wanted it to do. It performed it's task. And it performed it fucking well.

Although I've not been involved with WF or the local metal scene for a number of years now, I'm am a Metal Head of the Highest Order?. It only just recently occurred to me that I really wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for this little website, conceived on a drunken night watching Perth's premier thrash band. The music is and has always been a massive part of my life. The people I've met and been privileged to remain friends with even after all these years remain to be my biggest influences and inspirations.

I'm not 100% sure what bought on this outburst of metallic emotions. But I do know this. The heavy music scene in Perth is one of the finest on the planet. So fucking what if we don't churn out best selling albums or international touring acts. Who the fuck cares?

It's the camaraderie, the mateship, the drunken good times. That, folks, is what it's all about.
And it makes you who the fuck you are.

Stay Brutal Sick Puppies
Clay

http://hammersmashedmag.posterous.com/
I'm wanting to add to the above gallery photos from the early days. I have a shitload of my own from the old days, most are drunkenly out of focus, are of backs of heads and close-ups of feet and beer puddles. If you have any reasonably good quality gig photos from the Old Days, or something you reckon I might be able to use from a recent gig, please email them to me with relevant details and i'll get it sorted.

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
Re: The Good Ole Days
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:54:55 AM »
Clay! Haven't seen you around for some time. Sorry about taking your original name. I had no idea for years.

That said, the scene has come a long way since. Good job.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:24 AM »
HAIL!

I rmbr some of those drunken website convos in my backyard around the fire back in '96;)

Dave used to thrash to Pyrexia - System Of The Animal  :headbang:

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:06:47 AM »
There ya go people, one of the creators of Western Front, someone everyone in the metal scene should be thankful to. Salute!

When I ever do interviews or press and I'm asked about the background of WF I always make sure to mention this man, Clay, and of course Dave. I'm proud to know these fellas (although it is way too long between drinks these days) and feel privileged to be the one to carry their legacy on.

Just like I tell you everytime I happen to see ya Clay, we gotta catch up properly some time.. not to mention you should come along to a local show and see how things are going (this Friday would be a great opportunity by the way - great lineup in Freo, including some bands / mates you would recognise such as Enforce and Psychonaut).

Also, I would still have a fair few photos on file from those older days you are interested in. And not sure if you've had a look through the "History of Perth Metal" thread in this section but I'm sure some of those reviews would bring back memories for you too.

Catch up with ya soon mate!

Offline IFRC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 05:26:51 AM »
Clay! long time no see!

it seems i see you more around Secret Harbour than i do at gigs these days 8) :headbang:

come to some shows!

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »
Clay!!!  If it weren't for this guy I would have never even known about the local metal scene (let alone be coaxed into going to gigs :P).  It didn't matter who you were, upcoming gigs and new bands would always be thrown into a conversation with Clay - he knew the scene as it were that many years ago and he knew exactly what direction to point you in when it came to bands.  

Between you and Dave you combined graphic design, publicity and local metal (not to mention the love of metal) to the internet and created something undoubtedly amazing and original and shoved it in everyone's face.  Back then Google was just a tickle in your scrotum and searching for "perth metal" on Netscape landed you straight to www.westernfront.com.au

Classic pics of Scythian, Pathogen and Choke - apparently not much has changed with Enforce!  Upload more pics man!

You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Monster Dave

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:20:14 AM »
Hell yeah. Clay you champ. Been too long between drinks.

Great photos, they sure are the early days of Perth metal after Allegiance. 

Got anymore of the Enforce ones. Never managed to get any due to various states of toxicity.

Still got copies of all the fanzines you did aswell. Man i miss those most of all.

Take care man. :headbang:

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:21:24 AM »
 :worship: :headbang:

Along with the likes of SOD, Daz, Louise & *gulp* Brutal. Clay was one of the few peeps who was always up for a chat/beer/whatever when i first started sneaking into gigs @ the sands/grosvenor back in the day.

Clay, good to see you've posted on WF! . Was great to seeya at Soundwave this year mate.

Hopefully seeya at some local shows again eh  :cunning:

Smitty

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:43:25 AM »
A blast from the past. Great to hear from ya Clay. I still have that Bass amp by the way.

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »
Big bad Clay!! How have you been?   ...or where have you been?

I'm not 100% sure what bought on this outburst of metallic emotions.
Perhaps you are drunk right now!?   :laugh:
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
Clay the prodical pisshead hath returnethed.  Kill the fatted Keg.   :D ;D

Daz, you need to make it your mission to get him to this gig on the 4th. 

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
He'll be there.  ;)

Offline HammerSmashed

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Hammer Smashed Mag
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:42:48 AM »
Clay! Haven't seen you around for some time. Sorry about taking your original name. I had no idea for years.

No sweat man. I'm not so much as GRIM these days as GREY.

I rmbr some of those drunken website convos in my backyard around the fire back in '96;)

I used to enjoy those nights. Standing in Hami Hill under a Freezing Moon around the fire, listening to Live in Leipzig, or those bozo's who used to do those metal shows on RTR  :headbang:

When I ever do interviews or press and I'm asked about the background of WF I always make sure to mention this man, Clay, and of course Dave. I'm proud to know these fellas (although it is way too long between drinks these days) and feel privileged to be the one to carry their legacy on.

It was either you Daz or the drunk dude I met on the train one night on the way home. Can't remember the fellas name, but I think he was Russian soldier  ;) Jokes aside, you were the always the obvious choice man. I think you did more back-end work than Dave or I, we were just in it for the freebies!

You should be proud of yourself man. You've done a fantastic job of keeping things going and taking it to a new level.

Offline N.O.X

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:36:51 AM »
Mr Grimtongue ;D Been a while! Whilst referencing Dave we're talking about mr Warmaster right? Might be getting mixed up here.. But anyway, haha those old shots of Pagan, Choke and Scythian are a blast from the past! Killer. Anyway, good to know you're still about, hopefully catch you again soon mate.

{Gareth}

Offline DISASTER666

• WF Colonel
  • Barbarian Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 04:06:01 AM »
Good ole Clay!!!
Good to see you poking your head in. Yes it's official, we all miss you!!!!!
Yes yes, please come to the Freo show this Friday. All the old fart bands are playing and would be great to catch up!!!
HELL HAILZ!!!!!

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 05:46:18 AM »
Hahahaha old fart bands.  Awesome.   ;D

Offline HammerSmashed

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Hammer Smashed Mag
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »
Was great to catch up with ya'll last nite. Thought I was having massive acid flashbacks when I walked in and saw Guy and Rob on stage. Good to see the old faces again, and to spin some yarns about the old days. Also good to see the massive crew of young dudes supporting the "old fellas" too.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 01:34:10 AM »
Look at all the old bastids chiming in :)

Great to hear from ya Clay!

Offline N.O.X

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 01:52:46 AM »
Metal's Not Dead. ;)