Author Topic: Camera's eveywhere.  (Read 16406 times)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Camera's eveywhere.
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »
woah, this got out of hand. Im on the road most of my working days now. I pretty much drive for a living and I see some fucking stupid things out there... far more stupid than my occasional 8-10km/h over the limit.
Mongeese like results

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
No you break safely and slow down. The person behind you shouldn't crash into you because they will be travelling at a safe distance.

Yes... you can count on every around you to do the right thing at all time. ::)
They should be at a safe traveling distance, but wont necessarily will be... when was the last time you drove on the roads? Even then, you're counting on their reaction speed, and their level of alertness. Is it not logical that the solution that relies on the least 3rd parties for your safety, is the safest solution?
Also, if someone is right next to you, and turning in to you, gentle braking probably isn't going to be quick enough, even though it will give the guy behind you more time to react.

I myself am not interested in changing anyone's opinion, or giving them the alternative views in which to facilitate that. I'm more interested in not getting hit by either reckless idiots, or people too blindly obedient to the laws to ever make an independent decision. Heck, I'd be far happier if less people had cars/licenses to begin with.
I must slumber, per se.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »
woah, this got out of hand. Im on the road most of my working days now. I pretty much drive for a living and I see some fucking stupid things out there... far more stupid than my occasional 8-10km/h over the limit.

Yeah, basically in a similar position myself... I often work delivery/courier driving at nights.
I must slumber, per se.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:28 PM »
The longer this goes on, the dumber you're all getting.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »

No Shit.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:15 PM »

... and the more useful, comic insight we get from you... so it levels out in the end. :P
I must slumber, per se.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
Nihilist I'm just doing it because I know it's getting to you.

Goat, I already said I agreed with parker so wtf are you talking about? If the car behind is too close to you then there's only one option which is to speed up and get out the way. Most of the time however if you stay calm all you have to do is beep your horn. Anyone who hears a horn on the freeway will stop and double check what they are doing (most of the time).

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »
Yeah, that's true... although some people will have the musics blasting too loud to hear it, and I've noticed some people undergo spastic subconscious reactions when they hear a horn or bell, that can make them do something more dangerous... can't win them all.
Like when I used to cycle around, and there'd be a pedestrian or slow-ass cyclist ahead... so I'd ring the bell to alert them that I am closing fast and likely to overtake. What do they do? Flip out and mindlessly jump straight in the way of where I was planning to go around them. Eventually I just stuck with the policy of not using my bell.
I must slumber, per se.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2010, 01:22:57 AM »

You're destroying my life. I can't eat, sleep, work or even wank because of this thread.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2010, 01:52:47 AM »
Also, here's an example of (imo, what is) justified speeding... and it happens all the time. You're on a two lane road, all cars traveling close to the speed limit. One car directly behind you, one right next to you in the other lane. The car right next to you starts drifting or changing in to your lane, somehow unaware of your presence. What do you do?
1. Do nothing, the car next to you slams in to you, and all three of you are in an accident.
2. Slam your brakes in hope that the car next to you wont hit you... the car behind you fucks you up.
3. Speed up quickly (break the law, omgz) to get ahead of the car next to you, so you can avoid a collision altogether.

I agree. I tried to find some legislation relating to this but couldn't. You'd think any police witnessing this event would use common sense but I donno.

How about just using the fucking horn, on the steering wheel you should be holding onto for grim death.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »

Goat, I already said I agreed with parker so wtf are you talking about? If the car behind is too close to you then there's only one option which is to speed up and get out the way. Most of the time however if you stay calm all you have to do is beep your horn. Anyone who hears a horn on the freeway will stop and double check what they are doing (most of the time).

No worries dude. agreed.  :)

nihilist is correct. look what its doing to us. Its destroying us. :laugh:

DEATH to the camera thread, what kinda animal fuckwit would start such a thread anyway?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:57:44 AM by goat »

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2010, 01:56:10 AM »

Try doing this, and without a V8 or Turbo (the things you suggest should be outlawed) you'll get no where fast enough to move out of the way.

Best thing I ever did was fit a loud speaker and mic to tell these clowns exactly what they are. Yes, I own the roads  :headbang:

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »
I'm starting to think you all just suck at driving and are making any excuses possible. : :whistle:
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline iamthetrees666

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2010, 05:38:21 AM »
When approaching a set of lights, i used to be relaxed and be safe in the knowledge that i'm not quite stupid enough to be dangerous to anyone. Now i'm scared shitless of them, I start panicking and i'm sure it's gonna turn orange and then i'll have to worry about a fine so I start frantically looking in my rear view mirror to make sure noone is there so I can brake suddenly if I need to, then I check my speed again, start slowing down, but then I realise if I slow down i've got less chance of getting through if it goes orange really late as my car is auto and when I put my foot down sometimes it takes a second to get moving, so by the time I get there i'm so distracted by the thought of having the cops hand in my fucking wallet i'm not even focused on what I think is safe, and i'm completely distracted. Awesome idea guys!

Offline dparker

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
Best thing I ever did was fit a loud speaker and mic to tell these clowns exactly what they are. Yes, I own the roads  :headbang:

Wow... nice idea... could be fun too. Probably illegal or something though, right?
I must slumber, per se.

Offline blaaah

• WF Colonel
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2010, 07:11:55 AM »
When approaching a set of lights, i used to be relaxed and be safe in the knowledge that i'm not quite stupid enough to be dangerous to anyone. Now i'm scared shitless of them, I start panicking and i'm sure it's gonna turn orange and then i'll have to worry about a fine so I start frantically looking in my rear view mirror to make sure noone is there so I can brake suddenly if I need to, then I check my speed again, start slowing down, but then I realise if I slow down i've got less chance of getting through if it goes orange really late as my car is auto and when I put my foot down sometimes it takes a second to get moving, so by the time I get there i'm so distracted by the thought of having the cops hand in my fucking wallet i'm not even focused on what I think is safe, and i'm completely distracted. Awesome idea guys!

yeah i agree hey, my eyes are more on my spedo going through traffic lights than on the intersecting roads, or the crosswalks, anyone who makes a mistake is gonna go right into me because my eyes are not on the road enough

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »
Chantian I really can't be fucked arguing with you, but seriously you have NO CLUE SERIOUSLY. You need to do some research.

ANY ACCIDENT I have been involved in has NEVER involved speeding. From myself or the other driver. Of all of them 1 was my fault. It involved a wet road & a work ute with bald tyres. I was under the speed limit however the condition of the work vehicle was not safe.
I was hit on my bicycle only 2 weeks ago by a 4wd & he was not speeding, he was just being an inattentive retard.
Inattentive & stupid drivers have been the reason I have been hit EVERY TIME.
The amount of times that I have avoided an accident by getting through an intersection by increasing my speed is countless.
The amount of times I have had to speed to save my own life on my motorcycle is also countless. The other drivers that nearly killed me daily on my motorcycle & continue to try daily on my bicycle are all due to inattentive dumb stupid retarded behavior.
The first thing I was taught whilst going for my motorcycle license was to slow heading up to an intersection, then accelerate with vigor through it. My instructor was a postie, so he knows what it up, I will take his advise over yours Chantian.
I was taught the same on a defensive driving course. Yet these new cameras are flying in the face of common sense & what is being taught by the REAL experts.
Mark Skaiffe has it right. Other countries around the world have higher speed limits & much lower road tolls. It all comes down to driver education, not a quick fix sign post.
Anyone who has ridden a motorcycle, done advanced driver training or basic race training will know this.
I have done all 3 & believe me I don't think that I am above the law or superhuman. I do believe from what I have been taught though that our system is completely ass about. Which is why I will be designing another number plate flipper on my current car like I had on the panel van. Hit a button & presto number plate flips up on a spring.
I am not going to hoon around, but I will be damned if I am gonna get a fine for saving my own ass. The fine for the plate flipper if caught will be less than the speeding fine & no demerits either.

Speeding can or cannot be dangerous. It is not black & white.

Putting speed cameras @ intersections is PURE revenue raising. If they were serious about safety they would put video cameras in & catch the hoons, bad drivers, speeders etc. A video would also show if you were speeding up to avoid jamming on the brakes as well. This would sort the hoons from those genuinely driving safely.

These new cameras are more dangerous than the speeders they are catching & all the stats show it.

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »
I need to print to this list out, I just plain forgot about the Risely St/Canning Hwy camera, and I got done last night.
Would've been doing just under 70, at 2:30 am. Not a single car on the road. Fucking disgraceful.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2010, 06:33:35 PM »
Maybe you guys should put the passion you have for this boring shit into your music.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
And even if 100km/h on the freeway is safer than 50km/h in a 50km/h zone people are still getting killed in both area's and if anything that just means that you should reduce the speed of the more dangerous zone

Blanket solutions like this are the problem.

Example, If accidents are happening because of road conditions, then dropping the speed limit does nothing to reduce the number of accidents caused by this.

Greenmount Hill is a classic example. A few years back they lowered the speed limit for trucks coming down the hill because there were so many accidents and near misses, but the accidents were still happening.

Eventually, main roads grew a brain enough to realize what everyone else already knew - That the momentum of the trucks and the road conditions combined meant that even at lower speeds, there was still the same danger. They ultimately came up with the concept of the tar beds (kitty litter, etc)

To my knowledge, there hasnt been a major accident there for a few years, although I have driven past and seen for myself, trucks in the beds.

My point is, speed is always a factor, but not always the reason for the accident. If authorities give a shit enough to actually investigate causes of accidents without looking for the quickest way to tie it to speed, we may come up with more clever solutions like the tar beds.

If the car behind is too close to you then there's only one option which is to speed up and get out the way.
Thats incorrect. If you are in the left lane, the correct reaction is to slow down to allow him to pass.

Most of the time however if you stay calm all you have to do is beep your horn.
This is not only incorrect, but is also ILLEGAL.

What makes you think you are one of the elite that can safely drive over the limit? 99% of road users probably think they are better than average drivers.
Im not saying Im an elite driver. I possess a clean driving record and some years of driving experience. Im enjoying the discussion, but I cant help but question your authority on the topic, since you were unaware of the points raised above - both of which are clearly stated in the DriveSafe manual and are required knowledge to hold even an 'L' plate!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:18:11 PM by Damo »

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2010, 08:26:29 PM »
metalheads = passionate about saving lives on Australian roads.

Offline Ingasm

• WF Colonel
  • Who's that fluffy bundle of love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »
also, if the govt were serious about safety, they'd levy or make compulsory comprehensive defensive driving courses. They'd enforce freeway laws, and they would damn well make sure that driving instructors taught you how to drive, not just how to pass the practical test which seems to be the order of the day.

I'm also going to take this oppurtunity to say that if you hog the right lane, you are a grade-a douchebag.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
To people who have been saying speed doesn't cause as many accidents as other types of idiocy, I'm not even disputing that. Speeding causes some accidents but yeah, not as many as other things. My main point is that when speeding is involved in an accident then  it's way more dangerous. CDT you said none of your accidents involved speeding? Well if the cars that hit you had been speeding you'd probably be a lot worse off. Damo use your brain and read what you're reply to. I know that speeding up would be illegal in that situation but it was based on the hypothetical that the car behind was tailgating you and was too close to allow you to slow down. If doing something illegal is gonna stop me from getting annihilated I'm gonna do it. I'm not gonna die just to prove a point...

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
I know that speeding up would be illegal in that situation but it was based on the hypothetical that the car behind was tailgating you and was too close to allow you to slow down.
Speed up and he'll continue to tailgate you at a higher speed. Slow down and he'll flip the finger, but overtake you - The safer option.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
Maybe you guys should put the passion you have for this boring shit into your music.

Thought of attempting to stir people up on Perth Bands? Sedaals moved there.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.