Author Topic: Mike Rutherfords Shergold Double neck guitar kit.  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Mike Rutherfords Shergold Double neck guitar kit.
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »
Ever seen this before Perry?
Before you email me asking where you can get one of these monster Shergolds, they are exceedingly rare! Mike has four "halves" (One 4 string bass; Two twelve strings; and a six string with single coil pickups - now owned by the homepage) One other natural finish six string top was made for Mike probably by Roger Giffen.
A second pair was made in "boot polish" brown in a 6/12 configuration and was given to Dale Newman. This item was recently sold at auction.
That is the sum total of these models made.

All stories of Mike having a four neck ambidextrous guitar (Shergold or otherwise) are untrue (this occasionally does the rounds - search Google Groups for the latest version), despite those people who maintain that they saw the flight cases etc, it is an urban myth.

The Shergold/Rutherford Custom Guitars pictured at The Farm, 30th June 2000
The Shergold Homepage was granted access to the clip together Shergolds' at the Genesis owned recording studio, The Farm, in June 2000. Read about it here.
The Homepage also now owns the original six string top section of the clip-together set. Details of this and the other Shergolds in the Homepages' collection can be found here.

To get the low-down from the man himself, we've have transcribed a 1977 interview with Mike from British music magazine 'Beat Instrumental' (no longer running) which was reprinted by Shergold as promotional material.
Mike has also written a review of the Marathon 6 string for a magazine, and of course, appears prominently in the Genesis Tour Programmes...

http://www.shergold.co.uk/mikes.html

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
Re: Mike Rutherfords Shergold Double neck guitar kit.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
not that one particularly, but ive heard of other guitars/basses similar in design.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:38:29 AM »
This one splits into 2 seperate guitars.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:59:05 AM »
Yup, thats what i meant :)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:47 AM »
I actualy tried to build one in Applied Tech, back in Highschool. It never got past the drawing process. At that time I though I had came up with something truly innovative. Then years later I stumble upon the above site and low and behold. Someone already invented it a couple of years before I was even born.