Author Topic: Your thoughts?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
Your thoughts?
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
it seems there are so many different genres of metal out there and each genre, having its own fanbase, either hates or accepts other genres, which can be good because competition is healthy, but in order to improve our local metal should there be a bit more constructive critisism to new ideas/styles/genres? As an open question to all, what bands/styles do you think are on top in the WA metal scene atm and what can be done to improve WA's metal pedigree?
whats in and whats not?

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
Re: Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
hey man... there are many things that i would agree with in here, mainly constructive criticism - but theres alot of stuff that clashes, outright cant be answered or examined...

it shouldnt be about whats in and whats not - rather calibre, songwriting skills, ability and the overall management of all these things. and THEN theres the question of what defines "calibre" and "skills", some would say unrelenting blasting, some would say a great deal of BREEBREE vocals and some would say the lowest of lo-fi production anyones ever heard - which is extremely stereotypical but im sure many of u will know what i mean.

what bands and what styles are on top in the WA scene is also something that cant be measured as many metalheads either havent heard (and then disregarded) or purely just dont like the band(s) that are seemingly big blahblahblah, blahblahblah. the more respected "underground" bands have just as solid a following - it may not be as big as BAND X's rent-a-crowd, but its genuine, metal loving fans, there for the music, or your music - and they're the people i play for.

if something isnt somebody's cup of tea, turn it off. dont listen. i personally enjoy many various forms of metal, and for me its finding ONE GOOD band and not listening to every band in a particular style/genre/SCENE.
it does suck with metalgenre vs metalgenre but fuck, turn on the radio and theres a whole new world of shit that u can love to hate.

...and with that ive lost my train of thought, thinking about all the associated shit (or good) that will come in this thread. a worthy question. pls also refer to "the problem with perth metal"

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:20:48 PM »
hey man... there are many things that i would agree with in here, mainly constructive criticism - but theres alot of stuff that clashes, outright cant be answered or examined...

it shouldnt be about whats in and whats not - rather calibre, songwriting skills, ability and the overall management of all these things. and THEN theres the question of what defines "calibre" and "skills", some would say unrelenting blasting, some would say a great deal of BREEBREE vocals and some would say the lowest of lo-fi production anyones ever heard - which is extremely stereotypical but im sure many of u will know what i mean.

what bands and what styles are on top in the WA scene is also something that cant be measured as many metalheads either havent heard (and then disregarded) or purely just dont like the band(s) that are seemingly big blahblahblah, blahblahblah. the more respected "underground" bands have just as solid a following - it may not be as big as BAND X's rent-a-crowd, but its genuine, metal loving fans, there for the music, or your music - and they're the people i play for.

if something isnt somebody's cup of tea, turn it off. dont listen. i personally enjoy many various forms of metal, and for me its finding ONE GOOD band and not listening to every band in a particular style/genre/SCENE.
it does suck with metalgenre vs metalgenre but fuck, turn on the radio and theres a whole new world of shit that u can love to hate.

...and with that ive lost my train of thought, thinking about all the associated shit (or good) that will come in this thread. a worthy question. pls also refer to "the problem with perth metal"

Dude i was going to say the same thing.
It amazes me that people can carry on about how much they hate a genre of metal as much as they carry on about how shitty radio is.
No metal genre is a bad as the fucking radio crap IMO.

Also i dont think its as much bands that hate other genres, as it is the fans. There's Muso's then there's fans. Fans look at the scene thru a fans eyes where as a muso thru his own, funnily enough.

U gotta admit though, when some bands try to change a genre or create their own (good luck with that one) and it comes across pathetic, then its not good for metal whether you be a fan or a muso. There seems to be a lot of this going around lately.
For example; someone doing hardcore dancing/gymnastic moves in vidclips.  ;D

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
cheers for pointing that thread out
yea when it comes down to it its all hell confusing, some of the bands that are making a name for themselves out there arent the most musicly gifted but still pull a big crowd, whereas some amazing theory blessed guitar god bands arent getting the same numbers, i guess it comes down to whether you like quantity of fans or quality of fans haha

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »
thx Goat. and also - muso eyes are also existent in some fans. there are fans that look outside of that very well... they just dont expose themselves as much/ unless asked, probably mainly due to what we are all discussing.

cheers for pointing that thread out
yea when it comes down to it its all hell confusing, some of the bands that are making a name for themselves out there arent the most musicly gifted but still pull a big crowd, whereas some amazing theory blessed guitar god bands arent getting the same numbers, i guess it comes down to whether you like quantity of fans or quality of fans haha

welcome.
also take into consideration that its the crowd that decides where the band will go, no matter who the crowd compromises from. and to be honest, i love good guitarwork but i enjoy good songwriting even more so, and a GOOD SONG/STYLE on top of that. so all the shredding in the world hasnt made Satch or Vai multimillionares.

all the bands that have lasted more than a few years in Perth - all those sick killer muthafuckas. they do it coz they love it... and who are we to say that one of the biggername bands dont have the same passion...?

theres so many ways to insist on what SHOULD be... but only so little truths

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:53:50 AM »

hehe so you seen my band and our clip?
im the vocalist in the band against the tide, from the post hmm...
judging by the responses most people on here are not into our music
as for the gymnastics, its one of those things in the fighting invisible ninja pits that scene kids love, so we thought i may as well do it in the clip cos im known for hurting people with it

ive studied music for around 8 years now, from primary school, high school and to waapa and although its a bit backward going to a pretty simple "metal" band i'm just doing it cos i love it, same as the rest of the guys in my band. hopefully despite the angst we're coppin on this forum i can stick around and so can they for long enough to prove we love what we do too and like everyone, know that theres more to learn :D

my main reason for this thread was just to figure out whether it was a forum that would be into similar music as myself. from what ive seen there are some common interests but the line is solidly drawn where they stop :D

thanks for your objective answers VampirisNocturna

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 03:44:10 PM »

i may as well do it in the clip cos im known for hurting people with it

Ok now im scared :P

Ah man, i was just giving you shit about it. You know, bit of bitchy criticism.
Still in seriousness, it was a little odd for metal.
Obviously youre not gonna stop playing because of a bit of shit giving by people. Metal is a form of art afterall. if you wanna do something, you do it.
And im sure you will.

Just try not to hurt "yourself" doing that ninja flingie thingie. I did gymnastics for alot of years as a young squirt so its not all completelty foreign to me.

thought the song and the vox were pretty cool mate anyway. Keep it up. :D

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
You'll find it hard to be accepted here based on your band - that style has just never caught on to the majority of WF posters.

Your immediate acceptance is based on the fact that you're obviously such a nice guy!

But there's one thing that could make or break that - what music do you listen to?
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
I abuse all bands, whether I like them or not.

Besides, I complimented you guys, I said you were excellent stand up comedy.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »
Your hair is too short or too long, we only like too types of hair here, none or lots.

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:21:22 AM »
hahahaha luvin it.
obviously such a nice guy? i must be doing something wrong   :raspberry:
the music i listen too?
theres alot, locally though itd be
savior, make them suffer, ides of march and i am eternal, i havent heard much pyromesh even though ive known ael for a while and i need to hear mhorgl, louie goes to tafe with my gf so i've heard theyre pretty good
on a world scale, my top 5 would be (in no particular order, you'll probably hate this part lol)
Parkway Drive
Lamb of God
In Flames
Crimson Armada
Opeth
love it or hate it i think the best thing about music is you can have your own taste, but hate on it cos flame wars are fun  ;D
Feel free to come down to a gig and heckle away, it's fun and makes the bands work harder. (somehow im thinking its all fun till someone gets hurt haha)
well hi everyone, im Jason.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
Not overly keen on your music or musical taste, but I love your attitude. Welcome on board dude.  :headbang:
Mongeese like results

Offline Xenobiotic

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 06:35:48 PM »
It's true that not much constructive criticism comes in to it in some cases.. for example your video clip, if i were to be constructive, i would say, yes the quality of it is good, the recording quality not so good but not terrible, the girl with the wheelbarrow seems unneccsary because it doesnt tell me any sort of story, just a girl pushing a wheel barrow and burning "something" whatever the message you intended to convey in that...it didnt really come through, and the different cliche'd moves like the guitar swing, and close up of the dude playing a solo that is nowhere near intricut enough to be showcased etc just dont seem neccisary.

I understand this is your first video, and good job at it, these things are trial and error, and at the end of the day if YOURE happy with it, thats all that matters, and the fact youre reaching out for constructiveness rather then saying "well fuck you guys" shows you have the maturity to move forward with it and work on a craft..dont just strive for acceptance, strive for making music to the best of your abilities.

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »
It's true that not much constructive criticism comes in to it in some cases.. for example your video clip, if i were to be constructive, i would say, yes the quality of it is good, the recording quality not so good but not terrible, the girl with the wheelbarrow seems unneccsary because it doesnt tell me any sort of story, just a girl pushing a wheel barrow and burning "something" whatever the message you intended to convey in that...it didnt really come through, and the different cliche'd moves like the guitar swing, and close up of the dude playing a solo that is nowhere near intricut enough to be showcased etc just dont seem neccisary.

I understand this is your first video, and good job at it, these things are trial and error, and at the end of the day if YOURE happy with it, thats all that matters, and the fact youre reaching out for constructiveness rather then saying "well fuck you guys" shows you have the maturity to move forward with it and work on a craft..dont just strive for acceptance, strive for making music to the best of your abilities.

thank you very much for this xenobiotic, this kind of info i can use, well said.

Offline TomC

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »
Right on, write on about whatever you feel best.

ahahahahahahahahaha

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:23 PM »
I don't mind a little bit of "Cross Over" every so often but I must say the HQ metal scene sucks (Sorry Greasmonke) & the amount of bands that are influenced by modern day metalcore is a worry. These bands are trying to play extreme metal but their biggest influences are Suicide Silence & terrible "mosh" bands.

I remember when Fool the World & Burn for Me were at their peak in 2005 / 2006. They did cross over but they did it well and had solid influences (Nile, Suffocation, etc)..

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 07:55:34 AM »
I don't mind a little bit of "Cross Over" every so often but I must say the HQ metal scene sucks (Sorry Greasmonke) & the amount of bands that are influenced by modern day metalcore is a worry. These bands are trying to play extreme metal but their biggest influences are Suicide Silence & terrible "mosh" bands.

in part i agree with you, there arent many of the bands playing there with traditional influences, almost creating a cesspool of bands that are copying the band that copied the latest fad.
its interesting seeing what people are trying to do to stick out from the others from time to time

musical appreciation is definately something all bands need to do/have done. while i was studying music the class was given a different list of albums and artists to listen to every week and after hours of listening to all sorts of artists you would find the essence of the sound you like. its a great way to learn and i encourage it to anyone out there, dont just listen to an artist that you love and learn only their stuff. listen to that artists influences, and those artists influences. not only will your technical skill grow from emulating their ideas but you will also get alot more tools to use when writing and creating your own ideas.
currently trying to ram some in flames and at the gates down the throats of our guitarists, i think its a sound that would suit where we'd like to go and will push their technical abilities, hopefully someday we wont be known as just another "HQ/breakdown band" lol

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »
a good start might be scrapping the defensive narrow minded attitudes...the anti DT, anti power metal...cos  and with plenmty of wank, their preferred genres are superior...you would just be squashing the creative mind that fuels a diverse and quality metals scene...but that is Perths problem...think way outside the square
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »
a good start might be scrapping the defensive narrow minded attitudes...the anti DT, anti power metal...cos  and with plenmty of wank, their preferred genres are superior...you would just be squashing the creative mind that fuels a diverse and quality metals scene...but that is Perths problem...think way outside the square

This may be the first thing you've ever said that makes any sense.

I'm starting to worry about you.

Offline greasmonke

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Against the Tide
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 09:25:36 PM »
do you mean the "HQ" scene or the guitarists in att?

having an open mind will always be the best way to be creative and think outside the box  :clap:

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
its ok schist...doesn' last long  :D     there is a shitload of talent in terms of skill levels here...but like most sports...its 80 percent mental...  speaking of which, my weak brain is sore from this pondering...time for a beer
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"