Author Topic: 2010 albums: What has impressed you so far?  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Zarrix

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Last.FM Profile
2010 albums: What has impressed you so far?
« on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »
This year, I probably haven't obtained as many albums as I perhaps could have, but regardless, I've found some excellence.

Winterfylleth- The Mercian Sphere is probably my favourite album so far this year. I think it has a perfect balance for a black metal record, powerful without being crushing, and I think it does what bands such as Primordial, Agalloch etc do so well, and that is provoke very strong imagery in the mind, of another age.

Other metal albums of note:
Drudkh- Handful of Stars- A good return to form from Drudkh after the poor Microcosmos. It is quite different compared to the Drudkh many know so well, so it will certainly divide the fans a little I think.

Dark Fortress- Ylem- I was surprised by this one, their best album in quite some time.

Orphaned Land- The Neverending way of the ORwarrior-  It's always great to find a progressive metal album that isn't wank, even though the title may indicate otherwise.

Looking forward to Enslaved's new album too, though I would hope that it is better than Vertebrae, which was boring. Deathspell Omega have an new album coming out in November too.

Agalloch and Primordial have new albums due in the not too distant future, but I think they will be released in early 2011.

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 albums: What has impressed you so far?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:36 AM »
Here's some of the music I've listened to this year.

Burzum - Belus: A great return to form with one or two meh songs but mostly great stuff. I know alot of people don't like Burzum and find Varg's music boring and repetitive meh.

Winterfylleth - The Mercian Sphere: Fucking excellent. One of my favourites this year.

Blut Aus Nord - What Once Was... Liber I: Amazing, as usual. Unfortunately only out on vinyl.

Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance: This is some really well done technical brutal death metal. Usually not a fan of brutal death but this seems to keep me interested as it carries on.

Hooded Menace - Never Cross the Dead: Finnish doom/death. Always a fan of Finnish Death and Black metal and this album hasn't let me down. Some obscure melodies and harmonies without letting go of the aggression.

Immolation - Of Majesty & Decay: Can't say I was a fan of their last 2 albums, but this one is extremely consistent through out. Crushing riffs and the trademark Bob Vigna lead sections.

Nevermore - Obsidian Conspiracy: Extremely meh. I only really like the title track, which happens to be the last one on the album.

Profanatica - Disgusting Blasphemies Against God: Awesome, probably pick of the year so far. Production and atmosphere is so ugly and disgusting. Suits the album perfectly.

Twilight - Monument to Time End: US Black Metal supergroup consisting of members from Leviathan, Isis, Nachtmystium etc. Interesting music to say the least and enjoyable to listen to. Some post-metal/sludge sections within the cold and bleak black metal riffs.

Interment - Into the Crypts of Blasphemy: Some awesome old school styled Death Metal. One of my favourite albums this year.

There's still alot of stuff I haven't listened to enough to make judgement.

Offline Vanha

• WF Major
  • summoning the arrival of the ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:32:49 AM »
Burzum - Belus
Imperium Dekadenz - Procella Vadens
Decrepit Birth - Polarity
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Ihsahn - After
the only good human is a dead human

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:51 AM »
Nutrition -

http://www.myspace.com/nutrition

Sci Fi & BLACKENED INTER-DIMENSIONAL CONSPIRACY METAL.

Concept album based on the BOHEMIAN GROVE (as exposed by Alex Jones - infowars.com)

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:35 AM »
Burzum - Belus
Imperium Dekadenz - Procella Vadens
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Ihsahn - After

Can't believe I've missed Imperium Dekadenz. I was raving to you about them the other day.  :headbang:

New Atheist to be out this year. I hope it turns out good.

Offline Zarrix

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:26:05 AM »

Can't believe I've missed Imperium Dekadenz. I was raving to you about them the other day.  :headbang:

Need to listen to this I think :)

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:28:52 AM »
Gloria Morti - Anthems Of Annihilation

Haven't listened to many new releases this year yet

Offline Zarrix

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »

Need to listen to this I think :)

The black metal sections in this are close enough to perfect. However, I'm not liking the melodies, seem incredibly pointless and poorly executed.  Those sections come off like a poor man's Drudkh or Agalloch.

Offline kevindement

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 04:15:41 AM »
"The Obsidian Conspiracy", the new album from Seattle metallers NEVERMORE. I liked this very much.

Offline Zarrix

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 04:19:28 AM »
I've listened to new Enslaved. Certainly better than Vertebrae, but I think it is a grower. Don't feel AOTY potential at this stage, Winterfylleth still have that one covered I think. Or Anathema.