Author Topic: Name brand vs none-name tv's.  (Read 2501 times)

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Name brand vs none-name tv's.
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:21 AM »
Do you get what you pay for? Are big name tv's worth the extra money and why?

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
Re: Name brand vs none-name tv's.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:52:39 AM »
depends... if you are going to get the bottom range of brand name tvs, your better off going a non-name brand like Kogan. They use the same screens and can be a fare bit cheaper.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:42:13 AM »
Well to be more specific. I want a 32" lcd tv 1080p with 100ghz refresh rate and a digital tuner. I was looking at Sony thinking name brands are probably better but are they? I can't see a massive difference in picture quality. Does anyone know if name brands actually last longer? Most new tv's come with the same length warranty.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
Ah goodie, a HT question... :)

Its not just the image quality, but often the ability to adjust said image that makes tv's expensive.

Calibration of tvs for proper image projection (which extends the life of the tv, btw) is essential in myopinion, but requires adjustments to the greyscale, in addition to the basic brightness and contrast settings. Most peoples perceptions of a poor image tend to come from an 'incorrect' image being displayed. When you go into a store and see a good or bad looking picture, what you're actually determining is what image looks closest to what your brain thinks is correct, and spotting the 'quality' of a screen by looking at it is in fact very difficult to do.

Unfortunately, the majority of lower priced tvs do not have the controls to enable you to tune to a correct image, and most tvs in general do not allow for the primary colours to be adjusted.

In general, look for 1080p, a good refresh rate (over 120) and wide viewing angle. If you are playing games through your tv from an xbox, ps3, etc then refresh rate is vitally important.

Now a note on playing media from another device through your tv...
- 1080p is definitely what you want right now, but make sure your other devices (bluray player, etc) support it or you wont be getting the full benefit.
- Other things like frame-rate, pull-down etc make a big difference to how your blu-rays and DVD's appear and perform through your tv
- Firmware updates on your products IS important
- Some brands of hi-fi gear have better decoders which work better with other models. This is worth considering aswell.
- One brand of player doesnt necessarily work best with the same brand of tv!

There is SO much more I could say, but a lot of it is tech-talk that most people dont care about. Good Luck!

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Just 'photoshop' yourself into this pic and you'll be right.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
When you go into a store and see a good or bad looking picture, what you're actually determining is what image looks closest to what your brain thinks is correct, and spotting the 'quality' of a screen by looking at it is in fact very difficult to do.

I know what you are saying. I have an LG LCD TV and my friend has a much higher quality (well, more expensive) Sony plasma screen. I reckon mine looks heaps better, but thats purely because its what Im used to. I think the picture on a plasma is weird, and things seem to move strangely. Its hard to explain, but there seems to be a bigger difference in looks between the foreground and background of a plasma and I dont like it.
Mongeese like results

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
I know a genuine panaphonics when I see one.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »
When you go into a store and see a good or bad looking picture, what you're actually determining is what image looks closest to what your brain thinks is correct, and spotting the 'quality' of a screen by looking at it is in fact very difficult to do.

I know what you are saying. I have an LG LCD TV and my friend has a much higher quality (well, more expensive) Sony plasma screen. I reckon mine looks heaps better, but thats purely because its what Im used to. I think the picture on a plasma is weird, and things seem to move strangely. Its hard to explain, but there seems to be a bigger difference in looks between the foreground and background of a plasma and I dont like it.

Depth of image can often be a refresh rate thing

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »
Yah sounds like refresh rate, that's the main thing I care about in a tv but 120? I thought the highest the human eye could detect was 80? Hence why i thought I'd be fine with 100.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
Also the main media device I will be using with the tv is a ps3.

Offline cyanide_christ

• WF Colonel
  • Recording, engineering, mixing services available!
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Divine official web page
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 07:58:51 PM »
Refresh rate is more pertinent to sports than tv/movies. In my house we all prefer it set to 50Hz for general telly and movie viewing. When it's set to 100Hz it just looks weird and not very tv/movie-like...if you know what I mean.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »
Refresh rate is more pertinent to sports than tv/movies. In my house we all prefer it set to 50Hz for general telly and movie viewing. When it's set to 100Hz it just looks weird and not very tv/movie-like...if you know what I mean.

thats kinda what I was trying to say before - its a hard one to put into words.
Mongeese like results

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
There are also tvs out there claiming ridiculously high refresh rates, but they do not refresh the whole screen at one time, so (like a lot of hifi specs) these are false statistics.