Author Topic: Heavy Metal and the remix album  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
Heavy Metal and the remix album
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
Reading the 'electronic music' thread got me thinking.. :hmm:

Arguably popularised by Fear Factory in the 90's, the concept of a 'remix' album for some metal/rock bands became an exciting step into uncharted waters. Bands as diverse as Avulsed (cybergore), Godflesh, The Mark Of Cain and Melvins have all had remix albums/eps with varying results.

Due to oversaturation, and the fact the 'Remanufacture' couldnt really live up to the hype placed upon it, nowadays 'remix' is pretty much blanket term for any song sped up with the lead guitars taken out and the real drums replaced by a dance beat. Any no name can become a 'dj' with cheap recording/daw software.

So, is a 'remix' album for a metal band still relevent? Are there any bands that you think would/could sound great via remix? I know Emperor had an excellent remix of track by Ulver (i think). Locally Infected have had a song given a remix. I think maybe Red Descending, Neverborn and Chaos Divine could have some cool sounds from a decent remix. Has it crossed any of the bands on this forums minds at one point in time.

Thoughts?  :err:
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Metal and the remix album
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:16:04 AM »
I would say it depends on the particular song. Whether it suits the electronic genre as far as song style and content is concerned.

I guess metal can be at times the furtherest thing from electronic as you could get, but there would be some songs that maybe dont quite cut it as a decent metal songs structure wise, that could work well as electronic.
2cents

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:35:17 AM »
I would say it depends on the particular song. Whether it suits the electronic genre as far as song style and content is concerned.

I guess metal can be at times the furtherest thing from electronic as you could get, but there would be some songs that maybe dont quite cut it as a decent metal songs structure wise, that could work well as electronic.
2cents

Dub step & hardcore/metalcore seem a logical fusion to me...

Gehngis Tron do a pretty good job of putting electronic & metal together

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »

Arguably popularised by Fear Factory in the 90's, the concept of a 'remix' album for some metal/rock bands became an exciting step into uncharted waters. Bands as diverse as Avulsed (cybergore), Godflesh, The Mark Of Cain and Melvins have all had remix albums/eps with varying results.

Due to oversaturation, and the fact the 'Remanufacture' couldnt really live up to the hype placed upon it, nowadays 'remix' is pretty much blanket term for any song sped up with the lead guitars taken out and the real drums replaced by a dance beat. Any no name can become a 'dj' with cheap recording/daw software.

So, is a 'remix' album for a metal band still relevent? Are there any bands that you think would/could sound great via remix? I know Emperor had an excellent remix of track by Ulver (i think). Locally Infected have had a song given a remix. I think maybe Red Descending, Neverborn and Chaos Divine could have some cool sounds from a decent remix. Has it crossed any of the bands on this forums minds at one point in time.

Ok, I aint a big fan of remixing, but where it is done right it sounds great.  "Self-Immolation" by Fear Factory is a really good example of what can be. 

Any of the Euro-style melodic death bands like Advent Sorrow and Red Descending would easily adapt to remixing, but I reckon that Combined Death Toll is the band with the industrial nature that best suits remixing.   
Grotesque would be a great band to do, because there is a lot of groove in the riffs but it is hidden beneathe the Trevmachine's constant blast.  Remixing it would bring that groove out, a bit like Pungent Stench in their album "Dirty Rhymes and Psychotronic Beats". I can also see Arkarion as a prime candidate, and 'Scrape could be a winner too.

Thanks for thinking of us, but I doubt that they could successfully remix one of our tracks, too many structure/timing changes.

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 04:40:32 AM »
Funny this should be brought up. I had downloaded the Electronic drum expansion pack from Toontrack for EZdrummer. So I could do some experimenting with Metal and electronic music. Well more Industrial.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 06:08:14 AM »

Ok, I aint a big fan of remixing, but where it is done right it sounds great.  "Self-Immolation" by Fear Factory is a really good example of what can be. 

Any of the Euro-style melodic death bands like Advent Sorrow and Red Descending would easily adapt to remixing, but I reckon that Combined Death Toll is the band with the industrial nature that best suits remixing.   
Grotesque would be a great band to do, because there is a lot of groove in the riffs but it is hidden beneathe the Trevmachine's constant blast.  Remixing it would bring that groove out, a bit like Pungent Stench in their album "Dirty Rhymes and Psychotronic Beats". I can also see Arkarion as a prime candidate, and 'Scrape could be a winner too.

Thanks for thinking of us, but I doubt that they could successfully remix one of our tracks, too many structure/timing changes.

good call on self immolation. fuckn killer song. such a good album that one. might give it some time next week.

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:00:45 AM »
i find theres a big difference between simply doing a remix of a song as opposed to doing an entire album of remixes, being 5 different remixes of the one song and a few extra ones thrown in there.
also acoustic albums, i mean... Opeth's Damnation, and that came out well.

i think its gotta suit it, and i mean, if the band has an inclination to do something like fuse electronic elements into it, then they shuld just do it. do a song with those elements. why rip your own song up? why change the actual focus and the bands interpretation and message?

even Khariot has toyed with the idea of having a "acoustic jazzified" version of one of our songs but that really might not see the light of day  ;D

i dunno. doofdoof drives me fucking crazy.

ps - Ulver did a good job of it tho, and Radiohead's Amnesiac is brilliant

Offline Keg

• WF Lieutenant
  • CDT - Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 06:40:01 AM »
Scrambled Defuncts new album is sorta different i like their approach with the album but the mix is totally wrong in my opinion....