Author Topic: Metallica - Saturday Night vs Friday Night.  (Read 7325 times)

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
Re: Metallica - Saturday Night vs Friday Night.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 01:33:43 AM »
or Death Cult Armageddon.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 04:23:12 AM »
I can't believe Metallica didn't play Hangar 18  >:(

I want my money back.

Offline Keg

• WF Lieutenant
  • CDT - Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 04:33:31 AM »
I ddin't know they played different set lists every night they played. That's actually pretty cool.

Metallica will always divide metalheads these days. On one hand it's cool that they play different songs, but it would be nice if they focused on getting those songs a little tighter.

Are you joking dude ?? James and Hammets playing was super fucking tight like a nun almost.

But what about Lars?  8)

He was who I was talking about. The guitar playing was super tight for most of it.

Well they are his songs and i guess he can play them as he wishes, what artists play their songs exactly as they are on a cd live ? Metallica is known for changing up their songs and even other bands like Pantera do it. But at the end of the day you cant compare Lars Ulrich to any of these extreme drummers from extreme bands and to quote De Vattimo on Friday night "He is playing the style he grew up with" plus you gotta remember the old cunts nearing on 50 probably need a hip in the not too distant future..

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 04:39:15 AM »
Well they are his songs and i guess he can play them as he wishes, what artists play their songs exactly as they are on a cd live ? Metallica is known for changing up their songs and even other bands like Pantera do it. But at the end of the day you cant compare Lars Ulrich to any of these extreme drummers from extreme bands and to quote De Vattimo on Friday night "He is playing the style he grew up with" plus you gotta remember the old cunts nearing on 50 probably need a hip in the not too distant future..

I don't disagree with you. Seems there was a lot about Metallica live that I didn't know before this show. I did enjoy the show though, and I'll probably go again next time they come through town.

Offline Gringo

• WF Colonel
  • Bear it a little longer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 04:41:39 AM »
Tell me exactly how age effects you when you're sitting on ur arse playing the simple patterns he is? This ain't running around playing sport.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 04:51:30 AM »
Tell me exactly how age effects you when you're sitting on ur arse playing the simple patterns he is? This ain't running around playing sport.

What this guy said.

Dave Lombardo's almost 50 as well and he's still going strong (even if Slayer's new material is considerably slower than their "classic" stuff).

Offline Keg

• WF Lieutenant
  • CDT - Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 05:11:51 AM »

Age will cause deterioration in his muscles his stamina might not be up to where it was when you heard some of the songs i can imagine you're more then likely whining about ie "One"

But what fucking gets me is when ever we have bands pass through our city which really isnt alot compared to our Cities/Countries we are always so fucking quick to point out all the parts which could have been better, Oh the sound was crap oh their playing wasn't up to par. Guess what they're a live touring working band who are only human and they fuck up and their performances wont be spot each night. But the music they deliver as a whole gives out and energy which moves alot of people. Guess what I'm trying to get at is just be fucking happy that they actually came and played a show in our shitty City instead whining about the fact he only played 15 hits on the tom tom instead of 16 it's not a CD it's live.

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »

Age will cause deterioration in his muscles his stamina might not be up to where it was when you heard some of the songs i can imagine you're more then likely whining about ie "One"

But what fucking gets me is when ever we have bands pass through our city which really isnt alot compared to our Cities/Countries we are always so fucking quick to point out all the parts which could have been better, Oh the sound was crap oh their playing wasn't up to par. Guess what they're a live touring working band who are only human and they fuck up and their performances wont be spot each night. But the music they deliver as a whole gives out and energy which moves alot of people. Guess what I'm trying to get at is just be fucking happy that they actually came and played a show in our shitty City instead whining about the fact he only played 15 hits on the tom tom instead of 16 it's not a CD it's live.

A beer for this man, all of you quit bitching.
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:29 AM »
A KEG, even.

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »

What this guy said.

Dave Lombardo's almost 50 as well and he's still going strong (even if Slayer's new material is considerably slower than their "classic" stuff).

Keg's point is fuckin spot on.
also to add to Dave Lombardo's playing - hes still going strong, and thought i fuckin love Slayer as well - i realised on the last tour that hes fuckin boring. and then i went to watch all my Slayer dvds and realised even Paul Bostaph changes it up abit, puts some dynamics into there. Dave plays the same thrash beat x8 times, switches. uber fast but uber standard tom tom roll fill in between. boring.
no point in speed if everyones asleep. (although there are some people who thrive on speed alone)

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
Wait, Dave Lombardo is boring in comparison to Lars Ulrich? That's what you're saying right?

I'd laugh if I weren't choking on my own bile.

On behalf of Dave I'd like to say, go get fucked you strange cunt.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Gringo

• WF Colonel
  • Bear it a little longer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
All people are doing (and theres only a couple) are pointing out facts.  They didnt play this and this song, they were sloppy here etc.  It's called reviewing how the show was for you.  Expressing your opinion of the show.  I don't see anyone saying "metallica were shit, metallica suck" etc.

You're saying we should have 20 posts in a row saying "Metallica rocked, im so happy they came, i have no criticisms at all about the show" yay how boring.

It seems like there is alot of whinging because for every "whinge" there are 5 ppl that have to whinge about the person whinging, quoting their whinge, turning it into a big thing over nothing.

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 06:26:58 PM »
Haha yeah Keg they charged $155 for entry, I'd assume you'd want them to be tight? Gringo's right though lets not complain/comment about anything ever.

Personally I was so drunk off my ass I couldn't hear Lars being sloppy, I just wished it was a better band like Megadeth or Testament in that massive arena
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 06:29:36 PM »
Bah..ALL bands are sloppy live..including Wardaemonic and Psychonaut  ;) that's what happens in  LIVE music whether avoidable or not.

I'd prefer crowd interaction plus entertainment than a band staring down at their guitar necks all thru the set with the perfectly timed 'head swish up' so they can see what notes they need to play next.

It's like watching guys operate workshop machinery. :err:

- Ulrich plays for the song and the fans not for other musicians who stand their arms folded waiting for him to fuck up.

I thought my Nonna was fastidious..!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 06:58:57 PM by EvilElvis »

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
To be honest, I almost fell asleep standing when Metallica were playing their newer songs. At least they mixed it up quite abit so it wasn't a terrible gig and made it quite good especially with the stuff they chose to play on Saturday night.

And I'm afraid I have to be in between what everyone has said about not being tight. Missing one or two beats here and there is fine if everyone else in the band keeps up, which was the case for Metallica since they were relatively tight. We're not robots.

But in the end, Dave Lombardo > Lars Ulrich  :P. Having seen Lombardo for Fantomas as well will never make me retract that statement. And anyone else who doesn't think so can jump off a cliff.

Offline SchizoDeluxe

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Perth Metal Meetup group
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 06:52:29 PM »
Yeah Dave is a much superior drummer to Lars, seeing him live last time Slayer came through was mindblowing but he's a different drummer than Lars. Dave is not just into metal, he's into all that jazzy shit as well, real complex stuff. Lars is from the old school, Deep Purple / Motorhead simple and laid back style. I thought his performance was pretty fucking good on both nights, he plays to the music which is exactly what Metallica's music needs, not some fucking high flying triple spin fancy in your face baq of tricks style, Metallica have NEVER been that kind of band. I mean his performance on Orion and Disposable was fucking perfect but I guess people who don't hear a replication of the album tracks think it's all errors.  :-\

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 08:23:18 PM »
and itll all come back to the thread about "best drummers of the century". its hard to say whos better and based on what facts, we all know Lars is a tard and Dave fuckin kills on the drums. im saying what Dave performs on the drums for Slayer has been somewhat stale lately. seriously? ur cool with absolutely no variation on the same thrash beat on every single Slayer song? its like he holds back all the cool shit for his projects.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »

:offtopic:

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
and itll all come back to the thread about "best drummers of the century". its hard to say whos better and based on what facts, we all know Lars is a tard and Dave fuckin kills on the drums. im saying what Dave performs on the drums for Slayer has been somewhat stale lately. seriously? ur cool with absolutely no variation on the same thrash beat on every single Slayer song? its like he holds back all the cool shit for his projects.

I'd prefer to listen to Dave do that in 2010 than listen to Lars do it in 1985.

:)
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 08:44:48 PM »
I can't believe Metallica didn't play Hangar 18  >:(

or Hunger

or Mechanix ;)
Mongeese like results

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2010, 08:46:31 PM »
'The Four Mechanix'

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
Yeah sorry D-Fat I shouldnt have mentioned Megadeth they are  a totally boring live band, what I meant was that I wish metallica were playing better songs :)

Also I couldn't give a fuck about sloppyness, not what I go to a live gig for...how are these people even hearing mistakes over all the other noise?

Lets stop talking about whether they are sloppy or not and get to the real topic.

OMFG THEY PLAYED BETTER SONGS ON SATURDAY NIGHT WTF WAFFLEBBQ
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »
Also I couldn't give a fuck about sloppyness, not what I go to a live gig for...how are these people even hearing mistakes over all the other noise?

Uh, maybe it's because it's disrespectful to charge $155 for people to see you butcher your band's classic songs?  ::)

I'm not talking about improvisation, or even small sections where bits fall out of time or whatever, because that shit happens.  I'm talking about the fact that Lars' overall playing has consistently fallen down the drain over the past 15/20/however many years.  You'd think that, for a concert where tix are $155, you'd at least try to give the fans what they paid for and actually practice the shit you're supposed to be playing ...

This, coupled with the whole Napster fiasco, leaves no doubt in my mind that Metallica are just after the money rather than giving their loyal fans what they want.

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 10:44:36 PM »
$155 =

-Flights for band & crew
-Venue fee
-Shipping/trucking staging
-Loaders/stage hands
-Security hire
-Support bands
-Public Liability Insurance (for fuckstix climbing up the lighting truss)
-Cocaine and Evian
-Penalities for various noise complaints
-
-
-
-
-
 :hmm:

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
Yeah sorry D-Fat I shouldnt have mentioned Megadeth they are  a totally boring live band, what I meant was that I wish metallica were playing better songs :)

:D I meant LOG  :D