Author Topic: Queensryche Bombed In Iraq  (Read 1625 times)

Offline sheppo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Queensryche Bombed In Iraq
« on: November 24, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/queensryche_bombed_in_iraq.html

Vocal armed forces supporters Queensryche were the victims of a bomb attack during a recent visit to war-torn Iraq ? but frontman Geoff Tate insists making the trip was the least the band could do.

The prog metal outfit played a series of shows for military personnel. While in northern Iraq they were forced to take cover when a battle exploded around them, and although none of them were killed, they were left injured and shaken by the experience.

Tate tells BraveWords.com: ?We got bombed. We had to spend a lot of hours in bunkers there, waiting for the insurgents to get under control. We all lived through it although we got injured ? that was a scary situation.

?A mortar landed about a hundred yards from where I was standing ? the ground just shook. It was amazingly powerful and scared the hell out of me. I?d just been standing there watching the sun come up, eating a little container of yoghurt and boom ? the bomb goes off.

?It was pretty darn intense. We were there for two weeks in Kuwait and Iraq, flying around with the military to all these different bases. Playing shows to the troops is really a wonderful experience.

?They show you everything they do. You get to do things like blow stuff up with C4 explosives and shoot down helicopters ? pretty macho stuff.

?It was the first time we?d ever been to the Middle East. It was interesting seeing how people live and their philosophy on things. You can?t imagine what it?s like in a war zone. You see pictures on the news ? that?s one thing, but it?s a whole different thing to be there.

?It?s a very dusty place. I had to walk around with a bandana soaked in water around my face to keep my voice from going.?

Despite the violent attack Tate is glad Queensryche made the trip: ?It?s the least an entertainer can do. Every soldier we met said the same thing: ?Our life is like Groundhog Day ? it?s the same as the last day.? The only break they have in the monotony is when they have entertainment come in, and it doesn?t happen all the time.?

But the singer admits he didn?t tell his family about the bombing at first. He explains: ?I didn?t set until after I got back. I didn?t want to worry them. Actually, besides that particular instance I think we were incredibly safe.?

And Tate would be happy to repeat the journey: ?I?d definitely go back. In fact, we?re planning on going to Afghanistan as soon as it cools down a little bit.?

Queensryche released concept album American Soldier in 2009, which aimed to tell the story of life during war from the troops? point of view without becoming overtly political. The theme was inspired by conversations with Tate?s father, who was a soldier, and subsequent interviews with servicemen from around the world. The band are marking the 20th anniversary of Empire, their first release to achieve mainstream success, and are working on a new album due for release next year.

Thanks for the report to RockAAA.com.