Author Topic: So who is down with the Djent?  (Read 7207 times)

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • www.ozfishforsale.com.au
So who is down with the Djent?
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »
With this whole new insurgence of Djent bands the world over, Perths own Sensory Amusia being one. I was wondering what people on here thought of the whole Djent explosion?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:38:56 PM by DreadLine »

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
Re: So who is down with the Djent?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »
Djent? What's that?

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:11:06 PM »
goto: www.got-djent.com
or just google:
got djent?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:45:08 AM by DreadLine »

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »
It's that sound you get when you palm mute with razor tight, high gain tone.

DJENT! DJEN-DJENT!

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:21 AM »
Quote from: Urban Dictionary
Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated.

Offline rulezy696

• WF Colonel
  • THE KHARIOT KIT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »
I think thats fucking pathetic if people are making up new genres of music simply by how their guitar tone sounds, no reason why they should'nt just call it nerd metal based on all the tweaking you have to do to get the desired guitar tone.

How about this I tweak around with a new tone for the guitar that makes it sound like a purring kitten, the desired effect a new genre of music entitled 'Meow Metal!

Djent fucking sucks
Mikey performs 'Age of Wonders: March of the Halflings' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3vrGSvlr8

Mikey performs 'Khariot: Malediction Eclipse' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYRSokEcKc

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
So your saying Meshuggah sucks? They invented the genre. They were always labeled as math-metal however this is a broad term covering any metal with odd time signatures. Djent is more than just a guitar sound and technique now. There is particular drum, vocal and production style that go with it to make it a Djent band, as opposed to a band with sections of Djent.

Goto: www.got-djent.com

and goto the free downloads area, there are hundreds of decent bands with free cd's to download there. That will give you a better idea of this new metal genre called Djent. ;)
or checkout perth band Sensory Amusia they are a Djent band. 

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »
I was just wondering if many people on here listen to the genre, and what their thoughts were?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:40:43 PM by DreadLine »

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:47 PM »
another fucking genre.... great. How pathetic. Its really splitting hairs now.
Mongeese like results

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
Ok, I understand you guys think more genres is stupid. However it is innevitable. You cannot tell me Psyopus and Meshuggah sound anything a like? Yet they are both math-metal bands. Therefore sub-genres have been created to better describe the 2 bands style/sound to the punter who has not heard them before, giving them a better grasp of whether they are interested in checking the band out or not.
Incidentaly Psyopus is listed as Avantguard, and Meshuggah as Djent, both of which are under the broader banner of Math-metal.

Offline rulezy696

• WF Colonel
  • THE KHARIOT KIT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 07:50:48 PM »
well for one ive never EVER reffered to Meshuggah as a djent band because im not shallow and realise that theres more inside there music than just wanting to play 'phat sounding guitar', sure they might sound a little bit like that because of their low tuning, choice of choord progression and syncopation to the drums but if anyone tells me that then I tell them thats absolute bullshit, for reason I will state... 

I've ALWAYS known Meshuggah to be a post-organic thrash band, and i'm sure it was never their intention to create a new genre.  Besides they dont look like nerds like the periphory guys anyway (watched the metal injection interview, bunch of scene wierdos that just think they're trying hard with this djent crap!).

I'm telling you man that other bands TOOK the chugga-chugga style FROM meshuggah and made it into their own thing hence this new name and all the crappy lame jokes that come after it!

Its like the sure fire joke you've spent all week trying to come up with for a cool party and when you finally bust it out all you can hear is tumbleweed!
Mikey performs 'Age of Wonders: March of the Halflings' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3vrGSvlr8

Mikey performs 'Khariot: Malediction Eclipse' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYRSokEcKc

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
cheers for your opinion. It's interesting to hear peoples take on this as I too was like "what the fuck is Djent" when I first came across the term 2 weeks ago while watching 'shuggah on youtube.

Offline Gringo

• WF Colonel
  • Bear it a little longer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
It sounds like you're just trying to plug Sensory Amusia.

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:31:21 PM »
I'm more into Djent-core
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »

yeah, thats the vibe Im getting. "Listen to my band because we are in the same (newly created) genre as Meshuggah so it must rule"
Mongeese like results

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
yup, im with the lads on this one also. Fuckn genre after genre. The term genre is starting to mean fuck all.

d-jent is not a genre.

the whole idea of genre is to quickly sum up where something may fit in.
These days its, yeah man, like super-uber-nerd-math/science fiction metal with a death rock jazz crunch and.... a twist of lemon....and im like yeah get fucked.

too hard. It also tells me nothing about the music.
If i gotta stand there and try and put it all togehter, im then wishing i never asked in the first place.

d-jent does not describe a genre unless you go look it up. Then whats the point in even having to clasiffy it as genre, when you are gonna go look it up anyway? Might as well just listen to it while youre there too then eh?

The new genres are more like a sub description.
eg, well we're math-metal but it sounds nothing like some other bands that are also math-metal, so lets make up another genre describing how we sound.
Its not a different genre though is it? And at the same time, if we were to call it a music blurb instead, then you would have to use words that exsist for it to be even worth anyone's time.

But Dreadline, if we're to keep d-jent as a genre then....yeah i like it.
Its heavy, groove demonic, and blistering. Brutal shit man.
I think these days, older school, back when it was transitioning into newer school, is making a comeback now, as cutting edge new age.

Ive said it before, but i think a metal explosion will happen again soon. Maybe this style is at the forefront.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 08:40:36 PM by goat »

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 09:09:34 PM »
I feel compelled to say that the term grind came from the guitar and drum sounds of bands that were too awesome to be called hardcore so I'm not sure about the theory that a guitar sound can't define a whole new genre. Worked in the 80s.

Anyway, creating new genres is only acceptable for grind bands. Therefore, djent does not exist.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »
I feel compelled to say that the term grind came from the guitar and drum sounds of bands that were too awesome to be called hardcore so I'm not sure about the theory that a guitar sound can't define a whole new genre. Worked in the 80s.

Anyway, creating new genres is only acceptable for grind bands. Therefore, djent does not exist.

Yeah, it's just a slower, more melodic form of grind. With jazz passages.
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »
yeah, thats the vibe Im getting. "Listen to my band because we are in the same (newly created) genre as Meshuggah so it must rule"

Ok,  Iam not trying to plug sensory amusia, they recently pulled out of a gig on me and it put me off a little. I simply named them twice as they are the only Djent band that I know of in Perth, and I thought some of you may have heard their material.
I am also not in sensory amusia, so Iam not trying to plug my band.

If I was going to plug my band, it would be more like:
Check out my band From Isolation *(Not Djent)

Our myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/fromisolation
for free to download tracks, images, live video and more!!

Cool, cheers for the opportunity to plug my band, lads. :D

I'm more into Djent-core
^--- :rofl:     Gold!!!

yup, im with the lads on this one also. Fuckn genre after genre. The term genre is starting to mean fuck all.

d-jent is not a genre.

the whole idea of genre is to quickly sum up where something may fit in.
These days its, yeah man, like super-uber-nerd-math/science fiction metal with a death rock jazz crunch and.... a twist of lemon....and im like yeah get fucked.

too hard. It also tells me nothing about the music.
If i gotta stand there and try and put it all togehter, im then wishing i never asked in the first place.

d-jent does not describe a genre unless you go look it up. Then whats the point in even having to clasiffy it as genre, when you are gonna go look it up anyway? Might as well just listen to it while youre there too then eh?

The new genres are more like a sub description.
eg, well we're math-metal but it sounds nothing like some other bands that are also math-metal, so lets make up another genre describing how we sound.
Its not a different genre though is it? And at the same time, if we were to call it a music blurb instead, then you would have to use words that exsist for it to be even worth anyone's time.

But Dreadline, if we're to keep d-jent as a genre then....yeah i like it.
Its heavy, groove demonic, and blistering. Brutal shit man.
I think these days, older school, back when it was transitioning into newer school, is making a comeback now, as cutting edge new age.

Ive said it before, but i think a metal explosion will happen again soon. Maybe this style is at the forefront.

I like your proposal that these "Sub-genres" are more "sub-descriptions" than actual Genres themselves.

I also like your thinking with the metal explosion idea... would be interesting to see it take the world by storm again!
I prefer the heavier forms eg. Veil of Maya, Bleed, Crocodiles, T.D.T.D.E etc. however I do not think these will take the world by storm, but when I listen to the more commercial forms eg. Periphery, the Tesseract(not too impressed by their new offering, too "singy" for my tastes) and Monuments, they do (however sadly) give me a little of the distinct vibe that Nu-Metal did back in the day...  :hmm: I wonder if we will witness "metal" on the radio again anytime in the future eg. Korn

^----  :laugh: Awesome, djent does not exist, 'cause there can be only grind!!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:47:03 PM by DreadLine »

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
I'm more impressed with Mikey making a post that is readable and actually makes good points!
;D

It's stupid for a band to be a "such-and-such band" based on a certain style of riffing. That means they're pigeonholed into playing songs that all sound the same and are boring.

Hence why old Meshuggah is good and their newer stuff is monotonous.

Offline rulezy696

• WF Colonel
  • THE KHARIOT KIT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
I'm more impressed with Mikey making a post that is readable and actually makes good points!
;D

It's stupid for a band to be a "such-and-such band" based on a certain style of riffing. That means they're pigeonholed into playing songs that all sound the same and are boring.

Hey thanks Daz, and you read my mind in certain respects as well... if your a 'this and this' type of band then your very much LIMITING yourselves to what sort of music you can write.

But as far as im concerned about this djent thing,
fucking Americans trying to rekindle flames that are already prefectly lit!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 10:31:04 PM by rulezy696 »

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 10:06:30 PM »
;D

yeah man. :thumbup:

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 12:23:20 AM »
If it weren't for genres and sub-genres we'd all just listen to METAL.

Imagine that conversation?
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 04:24:25 AM »
It's a pretty rubbish term. And I wouldn't be calling Meshuggah djent. They're just Meshuggah.