Author Topic: So who is down with the Djent?  (Read 7190 times)

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: So who is down with the Djent?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »
If it weren't for genres and sub-genres we'd all just listen to METAL.

Imagine that conversation?
It's all Metal at the end of the day anyhow.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
Djent is a mad genre. I think you guys are all just talking shit. You love all your own chosen genre's but whenever something tries to do some new like djent you get on your soap box.

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
Any band that I've listened to who has tried to emulate Meshuggah's sound has been boring and annoying to listen to? Recommend me something that isn't shit and maybe I'll TRY to give it a listen. It's the same with all this recent uber tech death shit with lots of sweeping and hyper blasting, the first few bands who "invented" the genre were tolerable to listen to but as more kiddies started writing music like it, the whole songwriting aspect went out the window.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 12:27:02 AM »
Djent is a mad genre. I think you guys are all just talking shit. You love all your own chosen genre's but whenever something tries to do some new like djent you get on your soap box.

djent :rofl:

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 01:00:34 AM »
ive already made this point before -
"theres good bands, and theres shit bands". just go listen to the good bands.

its true that i went "WHAT THE FUCK IS DJENT" when i first heard the term. Meshuggah being lumped into that sucks. pioneering a sound that they made for themselves, not for other people to rip off. as long as there is a 'market' for it, people are gonna imitate.

every once in a while there are good bands / ideas that come thru. Deathspell Omega on their new record PARACLETUS is blowing my mind. i listen to fuckall black metal bands and they rule the top spot by A LONG SHOT for numerous reasons. its like that.
Meshuggah = TOP DOG.

i do listen to a few so called 'djent' bands, all stylistically different to each other, and theyre all probably sub-sub-sub genres of something else. Meshuggah, Mnemic, Textures, DEP, Psyopus. dare i ask if SYL and Fear Factory aare djent?

all i hope for is for musicians (or mainly metal musicians) to keep writing and expanding on GOOD SHIT. writing from digested knowledge, not regurgitation. music starts with notes, timbres, sounds, and has evolved and been copied and changed so much over centuries, theres no way its gonna stop now...

btw - Sensory Amusia demo is pretty cool. i wont say anymore...  ;D

Offline Khariot_G

• WF Colonel
  • Six-Stringer, Doom Bringer
    • View Profile
    • Khariot
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:19 AM »
oh, off the subject abit, the debut KHARIOT record's album cover is being created by Alex Eckman-Lawn, whos done artwork and designs for Psyopus and Genghis Tron :P
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:25:40 AM by VampirisNocturna »

Offline World Maggot

• WF Major
  • beneath a sky of maggots i slept
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 02:05:22 AM »
It's a pretty rubbish term. And I wouldn't be calling Meshuggah djent. They're just Meshuggah.

Anyone who sounds like Meshuggah is just ripping them off in Haugs opinion.
the ultimate frostage desire snowflurry drifts these plains...

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 02:16:51 AM »
Can't wait to form my new djent band once I receive my custom-made 32-string guitars from Ibanez and tune them waaayyyy down ...  :headbang:

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 01:36:17 AM »
Fuck djent, check out my Post-Avante Garde Jazz Fusion band, we drink cognac and red wine writing not just lyrics about poetry and philosphy... we are that avante gard that we write the lyrics about philosophers philosophizing about poetry from a second person point of view.

Not pretentious at all.

Seriously though, all these bands are a bit too overproduced... I like the actual music, just never the studio releases, too polished, rehearsals and live cds ftw. I'd be pretty sure that's why Sensory Amusia don't have there old drummer anymore and pulled otherwise they are just lazy :D. To easy to copy past compress, remove frequencies. Keep it raw, if you can't play it don't make it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:40:23 AM by Bherstuk »
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »
every once in a while there are good bands / ideas that come thru. Deathspell Omega on their new record PARACLETUS is blowing my mind. i listen to fuckall black metal bands and they rule the top spot by A LONG SHOT for numerous reasons. its like that.
Meshuggah = TOP DOG.

Deathspell are fucking SEX, lyrical content music. Those chords and note placements... Kenose and Mass Grave Aesthetics ftw though
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline Alcoholocaust

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »
Seriously though, all these bands are a bit too overproduced... I like the actual music, just never the studio releases, too polished, rehearsals and live cds ftw. I'd be pretty sure that's why Sensory Amusia don't have there old drummer anymore and pulled otherwise they are just lazy :D. To easy to copy past compress, remove frequencies. Keep it raw, if you can't play it don't make it.

We're playing tonight at amps w/ Dyscord if you wanna come see if we can play our music?  :D
I also recorded the EP and used my live tone (mic'd framus cobra), I try to stay true to the "sound like they do on cd" type deal.
As far as the drummer deal goes, karl works on the mines now on a 2 - 1 roster, we take it pretty seriously and can't afford to not practice weeks at a time yknow?
I'll agree though most of these "djent" bands are axe-fx bedroom wonders that never actually play live shows!

Offline FutileBreadMachine

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Xenobiotic.
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 05:16:30 AM »
http://soundcloud.com/brownshuggah/octofap

I made a djent. :D

Djent's a Generation Y movement, i.e. y'allz too old to comprehend it, go back to playing Dungeons N' Dragons online on your Win 95 Operating Systems, watching Alf and styling your skullets.

I think the music's great, but the fact that it's becoming a trend is kinda shit.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 05:58:47 AM »
To hell with genres. Its just more market-constructed bullshit to pigeon-hole bands and dumb things down for listeners who have no mind of their own.

go back to playing Dungeons N' Dragons online on your Win 95 Operating Systems, watching Alf and styling your skullets.
Technically, Dungeons & Dragons was a board game :)

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 06:04:39 AM »
http://soundcloud.com/brownshuggah/octofap

I made a djent. :D

Djent's a Generation Y movement, i.e. y'allz too old to comprehend it, go back to playing Dungeons N' Dragons online on your Win 95 Operating Systems, watching Alf and styling your skullets.

I think the music's great, but the fact that it's becoming a trend is kinda shit.

na na, youre just too young to realise its all been done before. That makes more sense to me.

There are no new trends, just regurgitated ones with a slight twist and thats what makes alot of them really suck.
They are so obviously something else. Look at fucking emo's, there just a busted ass version of a Goth which were probably something else before that, but im not old enough now what that is, or care.

There's nothing wrong with just doing yer thing, whatever it is, just dont think your cutting edge new product. play your shit and play it well. thats all people give a fuck about.

In this case youre talking about a fucking guitar technique here, and there aint no one inventing a new technique where guitar playing is concerend, let alone then go ahead and call you music d-jent because of it, and then announce a new style because of that. That shit's been around for years.

Be the best at what you do, sell millions of records and have loads of fans, then your only ever gonna be at the top of "your" game.
IMO opinion its the fans that decide the style ultimately.

Offline FutileBreadMachine

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Xenobiotic.
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
It's not really a genre though, it's a movement. Big difference... Lol.

And isn't there an online version of Dungeons N' Dragons? I don't know about it at all, it's one of those things I generally ignore.

When was the Djent trend around before?

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »
I never heard of it before now, i just meant the guitar technique was. Anyway, i think that music is pretty tasty whatever you call it mate.
Keep that shit rolling on for sure. :headbang: