Author Topic: Opertation Western Storm II - Suggestions  (Read 2113 times)

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
Opertation Western Storm II - Suggestions
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »
G'day folks,

There have been a number of calls to put together another WA metal compilation, and a number of suggestions on what can be done to improve the next one. Spell check being quite a popular suggestion. As the compilation showcases the local scene, I thought I'd ask the local scene what they would like to see on the next one. Not just which bands, but anything at all. Larger/smaller booklet, different layout, track order, anything.

One suggestion was to cut it down to just on CD, only picking the absolutle best tracks, instead of whoever put their hand up. The idea has merit, as one of the most common complains was the mixed quality of the album. However, attempting to represent the ever growing local scene in just one CD would be too difficult. I'm thinking of sticking with 2CDs, but instead of a heavier and a lighter CD, having a "Veterans" and "New Recuits" CD, keeping with the military theme. The Veterans CD would be 10 tracks from the scene's 'best' bands, the veterans of the scene, who's quality is unquestionable. The New Recuits would be the up and coming bands, the new kids on the block.  Picking which bands go into each of those categories might prove a little tricky though, without bruising any egos ;)

What do you think of that idea?

Suggest away. This is the early planning stages, and if we take aboard any of your specific suggestions, you might end up with a free copy of the album later down the track.

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
Re: Opertation Western Storm II - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:40 PM »
love the veterans and new recruits idea.
could do something with that jarhead chant about 'This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.' but change it to be about music? without my band, i am useless, without me, my band is useless' XD
happy birthday btw ^.^

-Wednesday.

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:52 AM »
That's not a bad idea.

I remember picking up this http://www.discogs.com/Various-10-Years-Nuclear-Blast/release/766912 from Nuclear Blast - it was a pretty good showcase of PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE bands and the difference in quality between the past and future bands was huge.  Having said that, it didn't make a lick of difference to how I listened to the cds.

Also good to note that even they made typos :P

By now you should have enough juice from older bands to throw in another cd and include tracks from the ghosts of Perth metal....
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:46 AM »
I think it is a great idea, and a display of balls that you are willing to step up and do this shit again despite the criticism you received. 

You can count us in on anything you choose to do.

It may also be worth speaking to Dyson and Brad about injecting some of the labelled bands too. 

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:35 AM »
That's not a bad idea.

I remember picking up this http://www.discogs.com/Various-10-Years-Nuclear-Blast/release/766912 from Nuclear Blast - it was a pretty good showcase of PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE bands and the difference in quality between the past and future bands was huge.  Having said that, it didn't make a lick of difference to how I listened to the cds.

Also good to note that even they made typos :P

By now you should have enough juice from older bands to throw in another cd and include tracks from the ghosts of Perth metal....

one of the best compo CD's I ever bought! Must have got that, what.... 12 years ago?
Mongeese like results

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:48 AM »
1. Keep the "Opertation" !!! , I really like it, the biggest faux pas of all could turn out to be a great talking point. Its quirky. When I had my knee operation I referred to it as an "Opertation" for example. Sure everyone thought I was strange but I never pretended I wasnt. I lolled for weeks about that.

2. Do a second CD for bands to do covers of other local bands.

3. Make sure your CD1 is top shelf.

Offline Bherstuk

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »
Put Black Metal in it. Put Doom in it... Drowning Horse, Thaddaeus, Clopsia or however you spell it.
Down Tempo Enthusiast

Core is shit.

Offline hatefueled

• WF Major
  • Hatefueled.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
    • hatefuled's art
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »
Put Black Metal in it. Put Doom in it... Drowning Horse, Thaddaeus, Clopsia or however you spell it.
Calopcia

-Wednesday.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
There was black metal in the last one, Mhorgl, Naetu and The Uncreation.  And there was Khariot too, I personally think of them as pretty black.  Four out of twenty is a high ratio considering all the other genres in this city, but you black metal fags are never happy unless we all are as depressed as you are.

Back to reality here:  Most bands have good songs and average songs, slow songs and fast songs, and everything in between.
Why not get the most high intensity song from each band, not necessarily the heaviest song but the punchiest.  Sound quality has to be a priority too, the general standard of quality needs to be increased to give the compilation credibility.  You need to be marketting at the average metal heads out there, the thousands of dudes living in the suburbs who love more mainstream Metal, not the handful that love only the extreme stuff.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »
audio mastering is a big thing if youre looking for better quality.
Im assuming all on the last album had thier stuff mastered? Even if only cheaply?
I'd be thinking that mightve been where the problem with qual couldve started.

Can i ask how you put the last album together mastering wise?
was it remastered?
Maybe consider sending whatever product you come with, to someone reputable for a overall remaster and tweak up for the final submission.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:58:12 PM »
Maybe consider sending whatever product you come with, to someone reputable for a overall remaster and tweak up for the final submission.

I didn't look into that last time around, but it could be a good idea. As long as the bands involved don't mind their songs being "tampered" with.

There will definitly be black metal. Doom would be good, might see if I can fit at least one band, like Thaddaeus onto the 2nd CD. Would be a challenge to find the right place to fit it in though.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »

I didn't look into that last time around, but it could be a good idea. As long as the bands involved don't mind their songs being "tampered" with.

There will definitly be black metal. Doom would be good, might see if I can fit at least one band, like Thaddaeus onto the 2nd CD. Would be a challenge to find the right place to fit it in though.

you wouldnt actually be tampering with the songs as such, just bringing some of the less tasteful mixes a little bit more in line with the rest.
Gives it a bit more of a uniform sound. obvioulsy you cant change them as much as you'd like in some cases but it will help, it will also pull all the track volumes in line with each other. Again some would need alot more playing with than others, but its better than having an album with all the songs sounding like they just got thrown on a disc.