Author Topic: A new venue!  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Fabs26

• WF Private
    • View Profile
A new venue!
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
Hey everybody,

For a long while I have been hearing that the people of Perth's metal scene are yearning for a new venue. I have some good news and I have some ideas that I'm hoping you all could comment on and possibly share some thoughts (negative, positive or simply ridiculous, it's all gravy, baby) -

The Republic Nightclub has been around for years; it was once called Gobbles and was immensely popular through the 80s and 90s. I've been helping out my friend with promotion for the nightclub and now I've got the chance to put on my own night and the first thing that came to mind was a metal gig. Then I thought, why not actually make a weekly or fortnightly metal party?

The Republic - Opposite Capitol there is a lane way, which is still considered Shafto Lane. If you go down that lane way, towards Wellington Street, you will find the Republic at the bottom - Just a walk up a flight of stairs and you're in it.

I'll get to the point - My first idea was that we need a new venue that plays metal on a Wednesday night. I remember back in the day, even though it was extremely dingy, The Castle was one of my favourite stomping grounds, just because it was a place I could go check out a metal gig on a Wednesday night. I have been in contact with a couple bands and a lot of metal heads in Perth and they are 100% behind the idea.
Now I need to know your thoughts, people.

The Republic, as a venue, is semi large - bigger than the stage room in Amplifier bar. It can hold a capacity of 300 people and has a stage, quite a few couches to chill out on, a long bar, tables and big metal barrels around the place to congregate at with your friends. I've organised with the manager of the club to have cheap beers all night - $5 bottles of TEDs, Emu Export, Cold, etc.

So, there will be cheap beers, good venue and definitely good music - 4 bands a night. Another thing... I will keep it consistantly metal, I know 'Oh Snap!' pulls lots of people but they have quite a wide range of music genres that they play - Wednesday at the republic will be strictly metal gigs, assuming it gets the right public support.

The first night is set to be Wednesday the 16th of February. :headbang:

Bring on the comments, people, seriously would love (and need) to get your support or reality checks.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
Re: A new venue!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
I would suggest getting some "Known" local bands for at least the 1st few gigs to motivate more peeps to attend as opposed to just the bands mates & Gf's (as happend at some castle gigs when the lineup was all new bands).

To truly suceed i would think you would also need to diversify a little & have some Hardcore & Heavy Alternative type bands play as well (Not all on this same night). It could be a new spot to hit for anything punk, heavy alt ... kinda like Amps was back before it got all shinny  8)

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »
Emu Export =  :headbang: :clap:
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:38:27 PM »
A new venueeeee. Of confideeeeence. AND POWAH, SUCH POWAHHHHHH.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline adam502

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
is that the male strip club? lol but yeah all sounds pretty dandy, i agree with the other guy on trying to get a big name local band in there for the first few weeks... also..does the republic do jugs? :P

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »

A Pantera-based joke? From you? Who hacked your account?
Mongeese like results

Offline Fabs26

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »
First of all, you know what's fucked? My original post was that exact same fucking Pantera joke!
Yeah, it's a male strip club for chicks on a Saturday. They usually hold hens nights and general seediness for cock starved women.

I have been in contact with some bands/a headlining band; trying my best for a good line-up for the first gig. I just have to get confirmation from them, so I can get posters done and announce it officially.

However, not all spaces are filled... So, if there are any bands that want to play (whether it be the first night or later), please get in contact with me and I will fit you into one of the Wednesday line-ups.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

A Pantera-based joke? From you? Who hacked your account?

I used to think they were awesome about ten years ago, so I know the lyrics. Now I think they're hilarious, so I still give them a spin from time to time to chuckle at it (and myself for liking it so much).

Truth be told, they were my first international gig and I met them all before the show, haha. Think I've mentioned that before. :)
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:54 PM »
It may be hard to pull in regulars who attend most local weekend shows but live further out from the city, and/or are unlikely to come down due to work commitments, etc. So, just delegating Wednesday nights as a strictly heavy metal night isn't exactly giving the metal community a reasonable chance to show it's support and true potential. It is a great opportunity though, so good shit!

Assuming Saturdays will remain for cock-crazy tarts, is there any chance of the occasional harder alternative-themed night (heavy metal, hard rock, hardcore, punk, goth, etc.) or Australian/international tours on Fridays also? I'd hate to see them continually wasted being there are plenty of shitty urban/dance (and even indie now) events, around the city that run all night already.

Ideally, it would run until late, although seeing as most club owners seem to think metal heads turn into monsters after midnight and jump on the bandwagon to try grab their share of the sheep, I'd assume 8pm-12am would be a more feasible time slot (like at most other venues).
SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline METAL_STEVE

• WF Colonel
  • Over worked and under fucked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
I've been to The Republic once; Gobbles :worship: I lived there  :)

It's OK, bit hard to get to the bar but the Couches & tables are good. I'd like to see how Wednesday's go.
Obviously we'd all prefer a Friday or Satday night but if it takes off you never know.

I'd assume the DJ would be playing appropriate music and not indie/alternate?
Close to the train station so the $5 TED's sound good. The stairs however do not. :drunk:

Offline Nosaj

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
Gobbles was a good venue. They used to have those guitar playing competitions. Awesome stuff. I didn't think the club was still going.

Offline Fabs26

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 07:46:11 AM »
Hey guys,

Seriously, people, thanks for all the responses, this is great.

Yeah, Friday/Saturday would fucking rock... The only thing is that Republic hosts Control from 10pm on a Friday. Saturday is the strip show before 12 and then Mother/Father after that. It's hard to get a good metal night organised for either of those days. However, Sundays are going to be opening soon. Also, every now and then, a Friday will open up if Control promoters have something else they want to run elsewhere (Kind of once in a blue moon).

If a night opens up on a Fri/Sat, then I will DEFINITELY be on that shit.  

I believe you're right, BlackDeath, I'm going to have to give the venue/crowd a chance with several heavy genres. If the first night goes well, I'll be a lot more confident to put on more versatile gigs.
METAL_STEVE, haha no doubt, man! The music will be appropriate, for sure.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 04:22:20 PM by Fabs26 »

Offline Rotten

• WF Major
  • Jebem ti boga
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 04:31:27 AM »
This place is cool and old school. Looks like a time warp from early 90's.
Everyone drinking export was a fun sight to see and getting all the gear up and down there will be fun no doubt.

Make this happen.

Offline SchizoDeluxe

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Perth Metal Meetup group
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 04:45:58 AM »
Great idea, we need more dedicated metal venues where us metalheads can just relax, have a few and enjoy the music rather than putting up with the garbage in other clubs. as for the venue times, after midnight if there are no bands playing you could always crank out some metal tunes like rocket room does.

Offline Fabs26

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »
This place is cool and old school. Looks like a time warp from early 90's.
Everyone drinking export was a fun sight to see and getting all the gear up and down there will be fun no doubt.

Make this happen.

It's rather cool, hey?! Hahaha those stairs are going to be the best part... It's going to happen, no doubt about it!

Great idea, we need more dedicated metal venues where us metalheads can just relax, have a few and enjoy the music rather than putting up with the garbage in other clubs. as for the venue times, after midnight if there are no bands playing you could always crank out some metal tunes like rocket room does.

That's what I was thinking. If there are lots of people who want to keep going until after 12am, then we'll keep it going! Haha no need to stop the party. Music will play during the intermissions, before bands starts and after they finish and it'll be loud. Just the way we like it.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
Gobbles. bahahahahaaaa!!!! Awesome name.

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
Assuming Saturdays will remain for cock-crazy tarts, is there any chance of the occasional harder alternative-themed night (heavy metal, hard rock, hardcore, punk, goth, etc.) or Australian/international tours on Fridays also? I'd hate to see them continually wasted being there are plenty of shitty urban/dance (and even indie now) events, around the city that run all night already.

Agreed!

Offline Trolld

• WF Colonel
  • Problem?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
Firstly, great to see a venue opening instead of closing. Much appreciated, and much needed.

Your Wednesdays will probably work for the first few months, then as we head toward Winter, metalheads will stay home in droves.
There will need to be development during your honeymoon period to set up some weekend metal action.
WTF is COntrol? Another DJ/Club night?? Seriously piss it off, how many dance clubs can one small city have??
Until the friday night situation is sorted out, the Shocker Room can breathe easy.

I would recommend not to make the same mistakes other rock venues have made particularly in regards to layout, and the attitude of security and door policies etc.

A variety of Alt/Punk/Metal DJ's will probably work best on a club night scenario.
At least the very few women we have at gigs currently will have poles to dance on.

A lot of people will be keen to see this work and you wont have any trouble getting metalheads to assist with various things, myself included.

Offline SchizoDeluxe

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Perth Metal Meetup group
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
Hopefully this works but it does make me curious as to why the castle attracted very few people towards the end. Is the metal community of Perth really into this idea or was it something else that caused it's demise?

Offline Fabs26

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 03:14:34 AM »
Firstly, great to see a venue opening instead of closing. Much appreciated, and much needed.

Your Wednesdays will probably work for the first few months, then as we head toward Winter, metalheads will stay home in droves.
There will need to be development during your honeymoon period to set up some weekend metal action.
WTF is COntrol? Another DJ/Club night?? Seriously piss it off, how many dance clubs can one small city have??
Until the friday night situation is sorted out, the Shocker Room can breathe easy.

I would recommend not to make the same mistakes other rock venues have made particularly in regards to layout, and the attitude of security and door policies etc.

A variety of Alt/Punk/Metal DJ's will probably work best on a club night scenario.
At least the very few women we have at gigs currently will have poles to dance on.

A lot of people will be keen to see this work and you wont have any trouble getting metalheads to assist with various things, myself included.

Thing is I can't actually replace Control, even if I wanted to. It's a party that generates thousands of dollars for the club and they wouldn't trade it for anything.
I have very little control over security or layout of the club, that pretty much comes down to the manager and the security company alone. However, the club vibe is awesome and I know the security, they are reasonably cool guys.
They wouldn't be used to the way that metal gigs work, so I'll have to inform them that when people start jumping about and punching each other, it's usually in good taste haha.

But like I said in a previous post, I will definitely try to get a weekend gig happening at some stage. It's not that far out of the question, it might just be once in a blue moon.
And yes, the only way this night is going to work is with the support of metal heads - organising, playing, attending, etc.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »
I dont know why people get the impression that metal crowds are any worse than a DJ/raver crowd. In fact, theres probably LESS hassles with metal crowds, as unlike most other gigs, the guys and girls are there for the MUSIC. Its a close-knit crew, and most of us just enjoy catching up with friends that we havent seen since the last gig :)

Also Fabs, from a musicians standpoint, my concern with it would be:

a) the quality of the PA equipment (bands that claim they cant get a good sound at a venue wont invite their friends to come see them there, and venues rely on word of mouth!
b) Squeezing 4 bands on a weeknight, how early the first 2 would have to go on and lugging four loads of gear up and down steps.

Other than that, bring on a new venue!

Offline Fabs26

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
I dont know why people get the impression that metal crowds are any worse than a DJ/raver crowd. In fact, theres probably LESS hassles with metal crowds, as unlike most other gigs, the guys and girls are there for the MUSIC. Its a close-knit crew, and most of us just enjoy catching up with friends that we havent seen since the last gig :)

Also Fabs, from a musicians standpoint, my concern with it would be:

a) the quality of the PA equipment (bands that claim they cant get a good sound at a venue wont invite their friends to come see them there, and venues rely on word of mouth!
b) Squeezing 4 bands on a weeknight, how early the first 2 would have to go on and lugging four loads of gear up and down steps.

Other than that, bring on a new venue!

Hey Damo,

I am renting a good, full PA system (fold backs, subs, speakers, etc) and I've hired a soundguy who's been doing live music for years. So, I can only hope for quite a decent sound. I have faith in the guy, but we are going to have to sus it on the night.

The first band would play at 8:15pm. With 25/30 minute sets and about 15/20 minute load on and off, I'm guessing the bands will be playing until about 11:30, assuming all goes smoothly. Even though the sets are kind of short, bands can still deliver in that time frame and it will still be enjoyable for the crowd.

The headlining act can go as long as an hour if they want to. If the crowd wants more, they can give them more, I'm totally cool with that. If everyone wants to keep drinking until 6:00am, that's also fine. If plenty of people are partying, Republic will stay open.

Offline Jamminjimbo

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:05 PM »
Sounds like a great idea mate! Good To see people doing this kind of stuff and making a effort to actually go through with it :clap:! Wednesday nights are good for me, As my GF can go to the leedy while im enjoying a cold one in a more "familiar" taste of Music
Auschwitz,the meaning of pain.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 10:41:31 PM »
Fabs - as a thought, and if its allowed, what about trying something like a sausage sizzle on the night?
The point being, theyre cheap to organize, punters are always hungry, and the profits can go towards keeping the gig funded each week for promo etc.

Offline METAL_STEVE

• WF Colonel
  • Over worked and under fucked
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »
T If everyone wants to keep drinking until 6:00am, that's also fine. If plenty of people are partying, Republic will stay open.

Jesus - I predict not a metalhead would be at work on the Thursday then  :laugh: