Author Topic: History of Perth Metal.  (Read 72077 times)

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
Re: History of Perth Metal.
« Reply #275 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
Here's a cookie for recognising the blatant reference.

Oh, I seem to have already eaten it.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2010, 05:57:07 AM »
^ haha, wow. i wanna use that as my avatar.
requiem anyone?  ;D
Haha, I DID have that for my avatar for ages.
 ;D

Mmmm ribwich..  :drool:

Offline Archangel

• WF Major
  • Invite the Darkside In....
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
^ Ya he did.. and i used to sit here and watch it for ages.
Conquest is made from the ashes of ones enemies...

Offline Senton

• WF Major
  • Teeth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2010, 01:37:31 AM »
Thought id have a crack!

iNFeCTeD - Trial (demo tape 1996)

They coulda been contenders. This was the release that should have brought Infected to a wider audience.

Around this time Roadrunner was looking to sign a few Australian metal bands. Rumours ran hot that it could be either Infected or Melbourne based Discordia. It turned out that neither band got the nod and Roadrunner signed two Perth acts: Non Intentional Lifeform on the back of some blistering live showcases and bizarrely indie pop band Effigy.

* Irrelevant sidenote: Adam Pedretti from NIL played in Killing Heidi and Effigy did a whole bunch of nothing after some minor success. Just like Roadrunner Australia OH SNAP~!

Back to Infected. After the underrated 'Control' got them dropped from Shock, the bad released this 3 track demo. The word 'trial' meaning both a trialing of new sounds/songs/arrangements and 'industrial', which was arguably the core of their sound.

'Disown' opens with a jerky and erratic keyboard loop (much better than some of the sounds on Control), pounding drums and Joey K's deep/low voice. Its a slow burner building in tension and getting more aggressive with an awesome finish. Interesting and creative lyrics which I believe were based around a book that i have long forgotten the name of.

'Hatecrime' is next and a cracker of a track. A heavy stop/start riff that many would compare to Fear Factory (Demanufacture being released a few months or so before). Again, creative keyboard sounds litter the track and Joey Ks has intelligent, thoughtful lyrics. Guitarist Matthew Jefferson gets a well placed solo also

'Brick Wall View' closes out the tape and starts out with a bang, fast and aggressive. Lyrically the pre-chorus is a bit, uhhh, 'clumsy' compared to previous songs , but its a good closer. Moody low vocals in the chorus.

I get the feeling that had a label picked them up and gave them some time and money, these ideas would have been allowed to grow. Who knows what might have happened. Ultimately, the band split, apparently a 'move to melbourne' would have been the only option to keep the band in label reps eyesights.

Infected re-formed for a one off show in 2003 to release 'Trial' on cd with a bonus track and again in 2008-9 to release trial as a backing to the single 'Straight White God'. They played an awesome show at amps and the final show at the Hyde Park hotel was a sad farewell, low crowd and shitty technical problems.

Joey K formed C.O.G (not that one) which I never heard much of and Headshot, before moving onto the more rocking The Devil Rides Out. James went to form the awesome Tyrant and now plays in Mhorgl (I believe Rob Thorpe from Mhorgl played live keys on a reunion show?). Gareth played incredible session drum on Tyrants demo tape and i *think* played in hardcore band PC Thug? I think Matt still plays guitar but isnt in any bands and Bjorg has pretty much retired from making music.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:57:41 AM by Senton »
Critical Mass RTRFM 92.1
Every Wednesday from 9pm

Offline ChuckBilly

• WF Colonel
  • They set him up, he'll bring them down
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »
^ Ya he did.. and i used to sit here and watch it for ages.

I feel the same way about your avatar Archangel ;)
Vagrancy wasn't it? That's gonna look real good on his grave stone in Arlington: Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines. Killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater, USA.

Offline The_Devil

• WF Lieutenant
  • Who's your Daddy?
    • View Profile
    • The Devil Rides Out
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2010, 05:27:58 PM »
'Disown' opens with a jerky and erratic keyboard loop (much better than some of the sounds on Control), pounding drums and Joey K's deep/low voice. Its a slow burner building in tension and getting more aggressive with an awesome finish. Interesting and creative lyrics which I believe were based around a book that i have long forgotten the name of.

The book was 'The War Zone'. Tim Roth later translated it into a film version starring Ray Winstone.

Offline Detritus

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 15, 2011, 01:46:44 AM »
Hey guys,

I went to school with Danny and Matt, and Matt W!  Started Detritus actually, i even remember finding the word in the dictionary.

The band started off being called Xenophobia actually.

Wrote most of their early songs.

Have demo and early works, if interested.

Ben

Offline Boeijen

• WF Colonel
  • It's all great!
    • View Profile
    • Mark Boeijen profile
« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »
I started going to underage Allegiance gigs at about 16 yo at Club Original if I remember...

The best bands of that era for me were:

SUFFERANCE
INFECTED
DUMP TRUCK
DETRITUS
CONSCIENCE
HATE MAN TRIBE
Musician