Author Topic: High quality home recorded tracks  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Overseer

• WF Private
    • View Profile
High quality home recorded tracks
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:07:31 AM »
Just thought I would share my latest band recording with you guys here in the sound forum, after spending quite a few years experimenting with quite a lot of effects/pre-amps, impulse responses etc.. I have finally found what I believe to be a decent sounding home recording and EP quality.

Drums were done via electric kit triggering into superior 2, guitars using the axefx preamp straight into the mic in but with a lot of impulse responses for the different cab sounds, bass d.i again into impulses, all choirs and electronics/orchestras, pianos were done via plug ins and software.
Acoustics were recorded with a RODE condenser, and same with clean vocals. Heavy vocals were done with an SM58 although after recording was finished I found about the SM7 mics which are made for heavy vocalists and regret not getting that one to try out.

I usually heavily compress/parallel compress most things to really get it up and sounding big/wide and of course quite a few effects to make it all gel and give it size.
Also since I recorded all the guitars myself I quad tracked everything, since it's easier to keep in time with yourself than if another musician was playing as well I have found. This i found made it have a LOT of size than just recording the guitars once or twice.

You can hear 2 different style of songs at our facebook:
Feel free to join our facebook page too as it's only new and could use a few more friends on there :)

http://www.facebook.com/godsofeden

- Danni

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:37:33 AM by Overseer »

Offline Alcoholocaust

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: High quality home recorded tracks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
sounds good man,
I would work on humanizing those drums a bit more, especially the snare.
Good job!

Offline Overseer

• WF Private
    • View Profile
Re: High quality home recorded tracks
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:05:13 AM »
Thanks man :) Yeah that's one of the probs with the electric kit and stuffing around with it's velocity settings inside. I'll give it a go tho see if I can make it sound a bit more dynamic in parts for the snare/kicks