Author Topic: Alls quiet on the Western Front  (Read 20198 times)

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Alls quiet on the Western Front
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
what the fuck is going on around here? This place used to be the most vibrant website I visited. Every hour you could click "new posts" and get heaps... now it seems once a day is too often if you expect more than 6 posts in the last 24 hour period. Where is everyone? I dont get it!
Mongeese like results

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
Re: Alls quiet on the Western Front
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:07 AM »
Online forums tend to fluctuate, and I've noticed they tend to be a little slow over winter. While it has been a little quieter than usual, I'm sure it'll pick back up sooner or later.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:38:31 AM »
One word: Facebook.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
^ this.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
^ +1

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
Yeah, there is that...

I don't see FB as a replacement of forums though. It's difficult to have a proper discussion/argument on facebook. It's good for sharing things, and quickly sending messages to friends, but it doesn't replace the freedom to expand upon your thoughts that a forum allows. I've been on facebook since '06, and it's only recently that people have started to accuse it of detracting from online forums.

Offline goat

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
FMPOV there's just been a low energy everywhere lately.
Lack of enthusiasm due to many things, like living in a Police state for example.

Offline Flash Mike Hunt

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »
ah, yes, totally goat.
 :clap: :clap:

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
yeah i miss the lull in posts on the pics thread   :(
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:30:10 AM »
Bullshit, I can tell you why myself and others abandoned WF.  Its the fighting and the abuse of our bands, and the fact that there is a place to go where that is not happening. 

Bands like Chaos Divine copped tons of abuse from elitist trolls on WF over the years, and nobody did shit to stop it.  Free speech may be a human right, but WF was a sanctuary where bands should not have to listen to poisonous little whores calling them fags because they are not black enough, or not brutal enough.  There will always be trolls and troublemakers, but once we used to clan together and drive them off.  It was stupid, but it made WF our home, and a place to go to be entertained.  Then we grew up and stopped wanting to fight everyone, the trolls burrowed in deep and those of us who at least tried to contribute to WF had the choice to either fight to take back WF or give it up to the trolls.    Once the old guard stopped keeping the fire burning there was really nothing to do on WF at all anymore that couldn't be had elsewhere.  After a decade of abusing idiots I realised that the abuse I got in retaliation from these cockheads was being redirected onto Neverborn and the boys were sick of it.  And after a decade I was tired of keeping hate at the boil.

Some of us tried to stop the rot.  I wrote a warning manifesto, and an essay talking up WF and the local scene.  They were bagged out as too long to read.  I started writing reviews so people would have something to discuss here, but that also turned to shit.  Eventually I removed them for my own uses.  I asked the mods to take WF in hand, they responded by NOT banning the troublemakers, but censoring the material.  Nothing worked, and so I joined the line of rats abandoning the ship.

Sure, facebook hasn't helped the situation.  It is the place where we go now, but I personally hate the thing and so do most people I know.  Facebook is full of ads and stupid groups, it is a hotbed of dissension and people cheating on each other.  It is full of pointless updates about making breakfast and retarded pokes and likes.  Your unblockable family members inject their rabid brainfroth into conversations between you and your lunkheads mates, its just too demented for words.  Its imbecilic.  But it IS an option. 

And Facebook has positives too, the best one being that you can choose who you talk to, who you associate with and whose stupidity you read.  Idiots who live for just bagging everything, useless elitist fuckwits and shitbirds who derive immense pleasure from trolling can be blocked, disregarded, they might as well not exist.  And you can do all this without any mod powers whatsoever.  Its a little slice of mundane bliss. 
On WF we can't do that.  Then there are the other services offered, WF hasn't got the facility to post metal vids from Youtube, post your mp3s up and all that other stuff, it has not had an upgrade for years because Daz poured years of his time into it and all he got back for his efforts is shitty little arseholes logging in and causing shit until the regulars finally decided enough is enough. 

Well enough WAS enough, we found a new home and the world kept on turning.  WF bled out, you idiots let it happen and I still feel angry about it.  Well fucking done.   

Offline macgyver

• WF Major
  • RDAs Love Child
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:01:33 AM »
As a total outsider to all the people who know each other around here i would also like to mention how much this has alienated people like myself from the scene due to not being "friends" as such and not wanting to add people i really don't know to my facebook page just to keep up with whats happening locally. I don't have a lot of time to go to every local gig that happens due to work and family life taking up a huge chunk of my time, but as well as living almost an hour out of the city it makes getting to gigs harder other than the overseas act i get tickets well in advance for.

This was always the place i came to find information on new local acts and check out any myspace/band sites and get a listen to any demos/eps or whatever as i truely believe Perth has some great bands around but its just getting harder and harder to find them without being out every weekend to see them.

It would be great to have a forum again for local metal that actually have productive members from inside and outside of the "inner circle" as such and hopefully someone can find a way around this problem without having to sift through facebook garbage or perthbands monkeys to find it.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 04:44:50 PM »
As a total outsider to all the people who know each other around here i would also like to mention how much this has alienated people like myself from the scene due to not being "friends" as such and not wanting to add people i really don't know to my facebook page just to keep up with whats happening locally. I don't have a lot of time to go to every local gig that happens due to work and family life taking up a huge chunk of my time, but as well as living almost an hour out of the city it makes getting to gigs harder other than the overseas act i get tickets well in advance for.

This was always the place i came to find information on new local acts and check out any myspace/band sites and get a listen to any demos/eps or whatever as i truely believe Perth has some great bands around but its just getting harder and harder to find them without being out every weekend to see them.

It would be great to have a forum again for local metal that actually have productive members from inside and outside of the "inner circle" as such and hopefully someone can find a way around this problem without having to sift through facebook garbage or perthbands monkeys to find it.

I spent the last 10+ years (until recently) living in Geraldton, so I was a true outsider, but I managed to make my way into the scene through WF, and I got to know a whole shitload of very cool people on here that I have since met at gigs and other places. People I will keep in touch with, or at least have a chat to at gigs for longer than WF will seemingly live for. In a strange way, the internet (specifically WF) has been very good to me over the years, especially living so far away and not being able to socialize in the scene. It is one website I definitely will never forget, even if it does just die off and fall into obscurity.
Mongeese like results

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
I remember the WF forum way back to when it first appeared. It was always a hotbed for multiple logins, taking the piss and threats. <- I'm not saying it as a bad thing  :eyebrows: but a lot of the guys (and gals) from that time now are either retired from the 'discussions' and/or lie dormant.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:48:54 PM by Manny »
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline Metalez

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • wm3.org
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
I still drop by for a look from time to time  ;)

Offline EvilElvis

• WF Colonel
  • 1000% Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
    • Psychonaut
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:09:45 PM »
Who is this?

Offline Metalez

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • wm3.org
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 01:16:52 AM »
Who's asking? 8)

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
Most of you take these forums far too seriously. The only reason I'm still around and no one has tried to "drive me out" is because any of you who have actually met me realise I'll take the piss just as much in real life as I will on here. The only difference is you can see me smiling, apparently this makes all the difference. I've ripped on some bands pretty hard in the past (Voyager, Vespers Descent, Chaos Divine and plenty of others) but no one listened to me, if anything if I don't like a band, people who like something other than brutal death and toilet grind should go out and listen to them - you'll probably like their music. Now I really think about it, I think I've contributed to their success, and I demand my fucking royalties.

Forums will always have people who are idiots. This place has had them basically from day number one. For some reason you let them get to you as the years wore on instead of ignoring them.

When this place was at its peak 5 years ago it had FAR more idiots than it does now (in some cases the idiots have become normal human beings, does anyone remember Metallifux when he first started posting?!), or when you had your hissy fit and left Jez. I don't think you'll ever really "get" the Internet old fellah. It's cool though, I still think you're alright aye. :D
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »
Well, myself and a few of us go right back to the #allegiance days on IRC, so I can safely say Ive seen this place go through many alterations.
Let me put this out there. For all of you who think you have contributed to the Perth metal scene over the years - Compared to Daz you havent achieved anything.
Here is a guy that has literally put life on hold to put this metal scene on the map. Dave and Clay also, although once Daz was left with the reigns he rode that beast till people listened.

It is sad that the inmates have been running the asylum to the point where people feel its better to leave, but wf does have a slightly older demographic who are less inclined to want to put up with that shit now that they have partners, families, etc. To them its not a place for hanging out and taunts, its a place where they can discuss theire passion for metal music with people they know personally from a very close-knit scene.

As to whether every forum has idiots? I completely disagree - It has quite simply whatever the admins allow there to be, and I frequent a number of forums where idiocy and trolling are not seen at all, at least for anymore than a few minutes. If anyone thinks a forum cannot exist with out that kind of 'fun' (?!) then they need to look around. The serious forums get the serious members and subsequent serious discussion. Its intelligent passionate, fair and enjoyable. If you dont want that, I say go back to other local forums which has a distinct lack of intelligible content, once they get up again...

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
despite the shite i have posted...this forum is a good resource and has good people on it...if i hadnt met any of the few i have from here, i would have let it slip away...but lots of good stuff on here    i-like!
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 11:50:34 PM »
I won't dispute Daz's contribution that's for sure.

I also won't dispute it's clearly the moderators faults I've never been banned. Shame on you guys!

I'm passionate about metal too, I just happen to listen to music for different reasons to most people. Any band can overcome horrible musicianship provided they don't take themselves too seriously in my opinion. I'd rather listen to a band (and have conversations) that are amusing to me, not discuss every nuance of some band playing perfectly arranged music that took them 5 years to compile and inspires little more than a sneeze from me.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 01:05:06 AM »
Compared to Daz you havent achieved anything. Here is a guy that has literally put life on hold to put this metal scene on the map. Dave and Clay also, although once Daz was left with the reigns he rode that beast till people listened. 
Totally.  Daz is the Man. 

It is sad that the inmates have been running the asylum to the point where people feel its better to leave, but wf does have a slightly older demographic who are less inclined to want to put up with that shit now that they have partners, families, etc.
Exactly.  So sick of fighting fuckheads.

As to whether every forum has idiots? I completely disagree - It has quite simply whatever the admins allow there to be, and I frequent a number of forums where idiocy and trolling are not seen at all, at least for anymore than a few minutes. If anyone thinks a forum cannot exist with out that kind of 'fun' (?!) then they need to look around. The serious forums get the serious members and subsequent serious discussion. Its intelligent passionate, fair and enjoyable.
Yep. 

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 04:31:09 AM »
Almost every forum I go to has a fair number of trolls, they eventually get weeded out by mods or run out of material. The not so serious forumers leave pretty quickly as well. But often the regulars who frequent the forums like to muck around with each other as well, it's all in good fun and no harms done because everyone knows that the internet isn't serious. I've been lurking on these forums ever since I was 14 or 15 (I'm 24 now) even before I joined a band, mainly to want to check out local gigs back in those days before I could go to the over 18 ones. I also have Daz to thank for upkeeping this website and forum, because otherwise... my band wouldn't have found a bassist.

One of the reasons trolls come around every so often is because they know that they can get a rise out of people. That is what they do, and the reason why Nihilist stays is because no one takes him seriously anymore. Everyone's used to his crap, and often take it tongue-in-cheek (as serious as he ever may be). Don't want to deal with trolls, don't feed em... or just fuck around with the novelty of someone like that around until the mods boot them. They don't care if you chuck a hissy fit, they probably find it even funnier. It's the internet people, threatening people on a forum with physical violence is stupid.

Offline Jimmy_Mate

• WF Colonel
  • J000000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 05:55:10 AM »

As with anything, the flow of reasonable conversation on here ebbs and flows - Right now it is experiencing a lull, soon enough it will be raging again. The funny part is that it might even be THIS thread that kick starts WF back to life! ;D

I think you will find that most of the "veterans" still lurk on here, resurfacing from time to time as they see fit - the site as a whole has too much to offer to "fade away" completely. Its just these days we are older and wiser (except for Jerome who is just older and bitterer) - wise enough to steer clear of wasting our time telling some 18yr old faggoty andy that posting pictures of my little ponies doesn't really achieve much apart from making them look like complete prats. :)

Facebook won't / can't kill this forum because as others have said, it is far too overloaded with trivial status updates from attention seeking fatty teenagers to be much chop when it comes to finding the info i am after regarding what is happening in the local metal scene. Perhaps the best example of this is the lack of a common "gig guide" on facebook - you only receive info about a gig happening here or there haphazardly and only if the organiser has you on their friends list! On here however, gigs are announced (quite often BEFORE they are on FB), indexed and easy find information on. WF will ALWAYS be my first port of call when sourcing relevant information. Don't get me wrong - Facebook is one of the greatest social media ever (hence its success), if anything because it allows me in one, concise place to keep in touch with some of my best mates distributed all over the world!

Regarding trolls etc, eh.... as others have said, this place has always been a hotbed for them. Over the years you see them come and go - eventually they all blur into the same chicken shit newby kid who thinks that the metal scene is full of big tough guys and being new, their only recourse for getting noticed is to act like a fucking idiot. The one great exception to this rule of course is our good,mountain of a man and occasional real life buddy "Nihilist" - he is WF's perpetual anti-troll-troll! To his credit i think he does better job of policing / dissuading the trolls than most of the moderators do - banning and telling-offs etc are (as expected) ineffectual, but his razor whit seems to chop em down to size every single time! I JUST WISH HE WOULDN'T PICK ON MY GOOD MATE NOSAJ SAN SOMETIMES, but you have to take the good with the bad! ;D

So, before i end up writing an Jerome style manifesto - from the very first moment circa '98 that Clayton mentioned that he and Warmaster were creating "the Western Front Online Metal Magazine" (whilst having a smoke in the carpark of the whitesands at one of those old metalfist gigs) that they were on a winner. You only have to look at the site's longevity thus far (12 - 14yrs??) to confirm that i was right!

Compared to Daz you havent achieved anything. Here is a guy that has literally put life on hold to put this metal scene on the map. Dave and Clay also, although once Daz was left with the reigns he rode that beast till people listened. 
Totally.  Daz is the Man. 

This is hard to fault. Daz has always been "THE MAN" and it is down purely to his stubbornness and determination that this site lives on today!

Exactly.  So sick of fighting fuckheads.

As much as i agree with this, all i can say is (especially in YOUR case Jerome) - LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN, CAST THE FIRST STONE. As much as some people think they are without fault, others see their actions (e.g. endless diatribe, soapboxing and pure ranting about certain indigenous races being untermensch etc etc blah blah) as off-putting.

As a total outsider to all the people who know each other around here i would also like to mention how much this has alienated people like myself from the scene due to not being "friends" as such and not wanting to add people i really don't know to my facebook page just to keep up with whats happening locally.

HAHA WTF .... dude, quit being so socially awkward. If you are feeling alienated by the lulll in WF, you need to get out more. Next gig you go to, buy yourself a beer and then turn to the first random metal brother standing by your side and buy him one too. Get chatting about Motorhead, talk about the best band you saw at Metal Camp, make a gratuitous comment about some metal chick's great tits and make some god damn IRL metal friends! Not hard mate! :P

Anyways nowt else to be said apart from - if you stop listening to metal .... if you think you're cool being a fuckwit on WF... if you think that WF is gonna die any time soon ..... THIS GUY'S GONNA GET YA....

SOD ;D
HAHAHAHA

Offline FIRST OFFICER CUNT

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
Let me lighten the mood by posting a picture of an unusual airplane.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:27 AM »
erectionhole (or whatever that fucking name is supposed to say): I'm so rarely serious on here it would terrify you. CHILL YOU TO YOUR FUCKING BONES, SON.

I do miss the days where people wanted to beat my face in for random and unnecessary remarks I forgot practically as I typed them, but at the same time, at least my nose is mostly in tact.

SOD: I love you too. Nosaj just gives me too many opportunities to ignore them all.