Author Topic: Promotional sexy calendar  (Read 9181 times)

Offline Katie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Promotional sexy calendar
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Hi all, a number of us ladies are keen to put together a sexy calendar (maybe for next year) that promotes the local Perth metal scene. We are looking for bands that want to be promoted and we'll be talking you up and wearing your merch. Are you guys keen on the idea? At the moment there's about 15 ladies that are up for it. Let me know if you're interested- could be good promotion. Also we're looking for any ladies that are keen to help out with promoting the local bands and want to be involved.
We're also hoping to attach a sampler cd of the bands being promoted to every calendar being sold.
 :headbang:  ;)
Like faerytale dominion rose, A widow to the snow peaks
Wherein reclined the Countess, Limbs purring from the kill
Bathed in virgin white and like the night, Alive and young and unfulfilled

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
Re: Promotional sexy calendar
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:52:25 AM »

I think it is great that you want to do something for the local scene and I will be the first to retract my post here if it all goes to plan... but I think that this is a questionable idea Kate, it is going to need much in the way of doom insurance.

1. There are indeed some smoking hot ladies in the local scene, but they are metal chicks, incooperative to say the least.  Even if you CAN organise them, there are the bands to consider.  It is almost impossible to get bands together on something as important as a compilation, getting them together on this is just an exercise in the absurd.

2. Most of you chicks have blokes, and many of those blokes are locals too.  Maybe its just me, but I am not sure that all of them would want pics of their ladies dressed in something hot hanging on the inside door of their mates' toilets.  On the flip side of the coin, there is the opinion of the ladies in the scene who may not want their blokes ogling pics of these local ladies.  It is one thing to look at a hot chick posed in a provocative way that you DON'T know, quite another when it is ladies from the local scene we run into regularly.

3.  Pics of Trease, Ama, Alysha, Mads and other similarly lovely ladies would make a smoking hot calendar, but some of the ladies offering may not be hot, and you chicks are too soft hearted to tell them so.  Someone would have to wield the knife, and they are gonna lose friends, trust me. Once a pic is taken and put on a calendar it is forever.  It will be looked at, discussed, critically analysed, chuckled over and generally dragged back into the open until the end of time, so a band will want to choose the lady who promotes them, and it could be devastating if some lady gets knocked back by all of them.  Some of the best ladies in the local metal scene are really not calendar material, but I wouldn't trade them for Lara Bingle.

4. Ideas you come up with while drunk are not generally good ones. 

I would offer a suggestion though:  This COULD work, but not really as a calendar with one lady on the page.   Groups of 5 or 6 ladies, both smoking hot and otherwise -  on a page acting the way you guys really are in reality - vibrant fucking dynamos - would work way better, not just wearing band t-shirts but actually with a concept.  For Naetu for example, all corpsepaint and darkness, for Wardaemonic more in the snowy forest.  For Neverborn more of a lunatic theme, Claim the throne dressed as tavern wenches or  warrior maids.  Malignant Monster it would be blood and dirt, Enforce Denin and Bourborn bottles, Nexus maybe an sci-fi theme.... so many bands, so many options but you get the idea.   

Do it right, and we will be interested, but it can't be half-arsed or you are gonna wish you never bothered.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
Just stick with the bands I reckon - a band calendar would be a wicked idea.

The 'metal chicks' calendar is a good idea in theory, but in practice ... not so much.  Apart from the chicks who are already members of bands in the scene (of which I can only name about two), I don't see much point, it'd be like having a calendar full of 'hot male punters' - so fucking what, you know what I mean?   What do these guys do of any value in the scene?

Having said that though, it'd be a good idea using chicks to advertise band merch - if that's what you were intending in the first place.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:42:28 AM »
I would offer a suggestion though:  This COULD work, but not really as a calendar with one lady on the page.   Groups of 5 or 6 ladies, both smoking hot and otherwise -  on a page acting the way you guys really are in reality - vibrant fucking dynamos - would work way better, not just wearing band t-shirts but actually with a concept.  For Naetu for example, all corpsepaint and darkness, for Wardaemonic more in the snowy forest.  For Neverborn more of a lunatic theme, Claim the throne dressed as tavern wenches or  warrior maids.  Malignant Monster it would be blood and dirt, Enforce Denin and Bourborn bottles, Nexus maybe an sci-fi theme.... so many bands, so many options but you get the idea.   

I really like this suggestion. Instead of your standard one-girl-per-page, get a group in each shot, and do each one with a theme that fits the band. That way, you wont run into any sort of ego/friendhsip ruining problems, as it's not all about looking smoking hot in each photo, but about looking like you're having fun! We have a lot of pretty girls in the local scene, but more importantly, they are fun people to hang out with. Focus on the fun rather than the sexy posing, with the band theme Jez mentioned, and I imagine a few people would be intersted in getting behind this.

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 06:12:46 AM »
Thrash out with your gash out.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »

I really like this suggestion. Instead of your standard one-girl-per-page, get a group in each shot, and do each one with a theme that fits the band. That way, you wont run into any sort of ego/friendhsip ruining problems, as it's not all about looking smoking hot in each photo, but about looking like you're having fun! We have a lot of pretty girls in the local scene, but more importantly, they are fun people to hang out with. Focus on the fun rather than the sexy posing, with the band theme Jez mentioned, and I imagine a few people would be intersted in getting behind this.

Yeah Row, you are picking up what I am laying down.  Don't go for sexy, go for fun and real, and go all out on the costuming/set/background.  As long as the posing and photography is good, other details can be photoshopped in later.  Model looks are irrelevant in this case. and personality and playfullness comes to the front of the queue, given the choice I would go with nutballs every time.  I reckon Kristin, Lola, Munchy and Trease with their outgoing and slightly bent personalities would be perfect for this type of thing, they would go at it with a view to look crazy and metal, not pouting and primping like a boy band.  The thought of those four in straightjackets in a rubber room with our Logo behind it makes me cackle like SOD. 

Offline metalhawk

• WF Colonel
  • ...never too old to headbang!!!
    • View Profile
    • enforce homepage
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:16 AM »
calendars dont make money!!!1 if your kool with outlaying shitloads for fuck all!!!!

then do it!!!!

;) :headbang:

Offline DemiseOfSanity

• WF Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
WF...If you whinge hard enough you can even make tits sound like a bad idea.

Does everything have to be analysed to oblivion, just say fuck yeah and buy a god damn calendar. 

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
Great idea.

Offline Katie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »

I think it is great that you want to do something for the local scene and I will be the first to retract my post here if it all goes to plan... but I think that this is a questionable idea Kate, it is going to need much in the way of doom insurance.

1. There are indeed some smoking hot ladies in the local scene, but they are metal chicks, incooperative to say the least.  Even if you CAN organise them, there are the bands to consider.  It is almost impossible to get bands together on something as important as a compilation, getting them together on this is just an exercise in the absurd.

2. Most of you chicks have blokes, and many of those blokes are locals too.  Maybe its just me, but I am not sure that all of them would want pics of their ladies dressed in something hot hanging on the inside door of their mates' toilets.  On the flip side of the coin, there is the opinion of the ladies in the scene who may not want their blokes ogling pics of these local ladies.  It is one thing to look at a hot chick posed in a provocative way that you DON'T know, quite another when it is ladies from the local scene we run into regularly.

3.  Pics of Trease, Ama, Alysha, Mads and other similarly lovely ladies would make a smoking hot calendar, but some of the ladies offering may not be hot, and you chicks are too soft hearted to tell them so.  Someone would have to wield the knife, and they are gonna lose friends, trust me. Once a pic is taken and put on a calendar it is forever.  It will be looked at, discussed, critically analysed, chuckled over and generally dragged back into the open until the end of time, so a band will want to choose the lady who promotes them, and it could be devastating if some lady gets knocked back by all of them.  Some of the best ladies in the local metal scene are really not calendar material, but I wouldn't trade them for Lara Bingle.

4. Ideas you come up with while drunk are not generally good ones. 

Do it right, and we will be interested, but it can't be half-arsed or you are gonna wish you never bothered.

Jez, we've got groups of 3 or 4 ladies for each band involved. If the band represented has a lady in it- she shall be promoting her own band. We'll be discussing outfits and themes with each band represented, because the idea is to promote the local scene and use us ladies to help publicise the music. However, to help with this we will be wearing merch' to help with sales and get the word out  ;) Hoping to increase awareness and knowledge of the local bands across Australia and it's a good way for us ladies to get involved and feel like we're being supportive  :headbang:

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
Women; the bras of metal.

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 06:51:25 PM »
WOMEN HAVE NO PLACE IN METAL

Offline Katie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
 :rofl:  fuck up moron, some of the ladies featured are in metal bands

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
NO THEY ARE PRETENDING

Offline Katie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
 :rofl: yes, i forgot that when they get on stage & perform, record albums and sell them- it was all a figment of their imagination  :clap: well done, you really told us  ;)

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
NO WORRIES MATE, IF THERE'S ANYTHING ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW DON'T HESITATE TO ASK.:)

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:47 PM »
How many calendars you hoping to sell?

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »

Offline metalhawk

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • enforce homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »

^^^^ by the boyfriends i bet...:)... ornsby guitars did a calendar i think?...he should be the best person to ask if it is a worth while money venture?

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »

^^^^ by the boyfriends i bet...:)... ornsby guitars did a calendar i think?...he should be the best person to ask if it is a worth while money venture?

calendars dont make money!!!1 if your kool with outlaying shitloads for fuck all!!!!

then do it!!!!

;) :headbang:

:)

Offline metalhawk

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • enforce homepage
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 04:54:21 AM »
 :) - says it all!!!!  8)

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 05:10:21 AM »
Ive been involved with three calendars now.

One that had promo via national magazines, mailouts to 4500 on facebook, 14000 on myspace, and 1500 on my personal mailing list. It had some real decent looking girls too.

Another was put together as a 'Beautiful Guitars' kind of calendar. I got one page, and every month had an awesome custom made guitar featured. The guy ended up giving them away when he only sold 6 copies.

Then I was asked to be involved with another... this time it was a lot more professional with pages sponsored, massive print runs, professional models, recognised photographers, my guitars on every page, massive marketting campaign tying in with a major corporation, zero initial $$$ outlay, and guaranteed payments for my time, and a considerable share of the sales and pre-orders. Still wasnt enough to make it sucessful. Maybe one day...

Offline MalignantlyGrotesque

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 04:48:03 PM »
Focus on the fun rather than the sexy posing, with the band theme Jez mentioned, and I imagine a few people would be intersted in getting behind this.

Is 'sexy posing' too risque for ol' Jesus?  :eyebrows:

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 12:46:51 AM »
I think done right you would sell enough. As long as you aren't trying to make it go all-out professional and sell them in the 100's like Ormsby's ones seem to.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 01:27:41 AM »
Focus on the fun rather than the sexy posing, with the band theme Jez mentioned, and I imagine a few people would be intersted in getting behind this.

Is 'sexy posing' too risque for ol' Jesus?  :eyebrows:

It's more about points 3&4 that Jez posted. I don't have an ideological problem with the idea, more a pragmatic view on the potential pitfalls.

Either way though, if it goes ahead, I'd buy a copy, to support the supporters.

...has anyone mentioned the IT Crowd yet?