Author Topic: Promotional sexy calendar  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
Re: Promotional sexy calendar
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 02:33:20 AM »
Minimum print runs, to get printing under $25 each, needs to be 250+
Of course, this gets cheaper if you print smaller calendars, no gloss, no drilled holes (for mounting), no card stock, no binding, and essentually... no 'vibe'. Imagine the cheapest nastiest calendar ever, and thats what it will be (if costs are cut)... and that alone will turn more than half the people off straight away.

That doesnt include paying anyone for costumes, studio hire, advertising, photographers, layout, photoshopping, prototypes or preview copies, editting, etc etc etc. Sure, a lot, maybe all, can be done as favours or freebies...

Add a $3-5 compilation CD, and then 50c for shrink wrapping, postage (from suppliers, to sellers, to punters), etc, and its a fucking expensive calendar, if ANYONE is to make even a $1 per copy. And you MUST have a profit margin built in, to cover the number of calendars that DONT sell.

So, allow for them to be $40 minimum. You'll sell three. But, feel free to prove me wrong. I'll be the first to congratulate you.

I honestly think there are much better ways to promote local music, if thats what this is for (that was the original idea months ago). The only people buying the calendar will be local musicians in the bands, or people who are already fans (and hardcore ones at that). That doesnt raise awareness, nor does it benefit anyone. Put the same effort into more constructive ideas, and you'll gain an audience. Promoting to a closed group doesnt.

If the idea is more about feeling good about being in a calendar, well, go for it then, have fun and good luck...

Offline chantian_deanie

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:03 PM »
Just do gigs at strip clubs or brothels or whatever if you wanna attract pervs to the metal scene, it's basically the same concept. Put some tits on album covers.

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 01:26:10 AM »
Rocket room is below a strip club....  ;D

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »
Reading the intelligent posts by Perry and Row and the retarded ones from the usual retard element has got me thinking....

You COULD pull this off, but as a digital thing only.
 If you were dispose of the calendar idea and instead just have a new promo pic each day released not in print but released digitally as a free online download you could defer the prohibitive cost of printing and still have a pile of fun doing it.  You could feature a new band and with it a new pic each day, and done right it should turn heads.  

Maybe you could choose one band per fortnight and for each have the chicks in each set photographed 14 times, one pic for each day of the fortnight.  Or even better, instead of one band for a fortnight you can cycle through the 26 bands you promote so each day of the month is a different band being promoted.

Do your flash photo shoot thing and put it up online with band logos, links to songs and all that crap and it could be a useful promotional tool, one that bands would be happy to pay to use, and that covers the expense of your original outlay.  You would need plenty of chicks, plenty of pics and plenty or photoshop and uploading done, but it is way more practical that a printed calendar.

Just a thought.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:33:45 PM by Catalyst »

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 06:57:37 PM »
Reading the intelligent posts by Perry and Row and the retarded ones from the usual retard element has got me thinking....

If you were dispose of the calendar idea and instead just have a new promo pic each day released not in print but released digitally as a free online download you could defer the prohibitive cost of printing and still have a pile of fun doing it.  You could feature a new band and with it a new pic each day, and done right it should turn heads.  

Maybe you could choose one band per fortnight and for each have the chicks in each set photographed 14 times, one pic for each day of the fortnight.  Or even better, instead of one band for a fortnight you can cycle through the 26 bands you promote so each day of the month is a different band being promoted.

Do your flash photo shoot thing and put it up online with band logos, links to songs and all that crap and it could be a useful promotional tool, one that bands would be happy to pay to use, and that covers the expense of your original outlay.  You would need plenty of chicks, plenty of pics and plenty or photoshop and uploading done, but it is way more practical that a printed calendar.

Just a thought.

I think this is actually a brilliant idea. Domain names and web hosting are dirt cheap these days too, you could probably get perthgirlsofmetal.com or something for like $5...

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »
Go Jez.

Offline ironguardian

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • The problem with Perth metal.
    • View Profile
    • Iron Guardian Industries
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 02:43:09 AM »
That would require a lot of concentrated effort, and the people involved would have to be in it for the long game if there is going to be enough material for a new pic every day. The idea does have a lot of merit however.

That Hard Focus group on Facebook feature a local band every fortnight, post their videos, link to their songs and conduct a two part video. I'm not sure how well the idea has taken off yet, but they're out there and they're doing something for the scene. I've noticed Trease has written some great gig reviews lately too, which I believe were shared with Hard Focus and WF. People want to hear about the local scene.

One idea could be to combine both ideas, with a fortnightly, or monthly local scene e-newsletter. A simple (Printer-friendly) pdf file that contains some local scene news, some interviews, some new reviews, some of Jez's old reviews, some opinion piece, some gig reviews, an upcoming gig calender, and a centerfold of the Girls of Perth Metal. Once again, it would be a lot of work, and there would probably be next to no reward for it... but it's an idea, and one that I've been thinking about for a while.

If such an electronic publication, or even the purely digital version of the photos became popular, then a physical version of the calender could become a serious prospect.

As for website hosting, if you wanted to save even more costs, just set up something free, like www.girlsofperthmetal.tumblr.com or a similar free image hosting site. There are some very professional looking image blog sites out there.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »

Just a thought.

Jez, that thing rattling around in that Easter Island type cranium of yours actually works sometimes!
This actually made me think of another idea, which I'll leave up to the rest of you contributors to decide whether it has any merit.
Could integrate that idea with the "Featured band" section on WF. So each month have a different band featured which is promoted by the ladies doing the photoshoot along the theme that matches them.

Could have one (or two) photos to tease people in, and then mention to raise funds for the band people can choose to pay a small fee (even if it's just $5-10) to see the rest of the set of photos that go along with it. I mean if the chicks are gonna go to all the hassle of dressing up, getting made up and a location/set, then may as well make the most of it and do a run of shots - maybe some mucking around, some serious and some a bit saucier.

If so, then like I said I could run it similar to the featured band page and host it on Western Front. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the domain name, hosting etc, plus have the reputation of WF behind it. Having said that, if it was going to be affiliated in anyway with WF then, as mentioned previously, there would have to be a level of quality control.

Anyway, that's another 2c in the bucket.

Keep the brain storm brewing!

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

One idea could be to combine both ideas, with a fortnightly, or monthly local scene e-newsletter.

yeah, bring back FMC (Firm Meaty Chunks for those of you too young to remember)! That was an awesome e-zine, run by none other than Dysie of course. Its actually what lead me to WF in the first place all those many years ago. I think it would be a cool idea. I'd put my hand up to help in any way I can.
Mongeese like results

Offline Stormrider

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
  • \m/ \m/
    • View Profile
    • Riot Squad
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »

One idea could be to combine both ideas, with a fortnightly, or monthly local scene e-newsletter.

yeah, bring back FMC (Firm Meaty Chunks for those of you too young to remember)! That was an awesome e-zine, run by none other than Dysie of course. Its actually what lead me to WF in the first place all those many years ago. I think it would be a cool idea. I'd put my hand up to help in any way I can.

FMC was gold!

ahhh back in the day

RIOT SQUAD - The New Force in THRASH
https://www.facebook.com/Riot.Squad.aus

Offline Manny

• WF Colonel
  • Heavy Metal is the Law
    • View Profile
    • EVOLUTION MACHINE
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

FMC was gold!

ahhh back in the day
Evolution Machine                      Noisy Pixels Photography

Offline ded

• WF Colonel
  • Flopsy The Cunt Faced Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »
I'd prefer to see actual band members posing in various states of undress.
You know one thing I'll never understand about you.  No matter how many times I kick you in the teeth, smack you with the manhole cover, throw hot water in your face, pour molten glass in your rectum.....you'll always come back for more.

Offline Cunty the Sardine

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
Come to a neverborn jam in summer and you can see jez in his jocks.  :sick:

Offline Vesglars Children

• WF Private
  • Beyond Never
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Never Official Site
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:02 AM »
Beyond Never would like nothing more than to help out with this. We also have 2 ladies in our Ranks (Vanity and Lust) please feel free to contact us on beyondnever@hotmail.com
The worthy shall rise from the greedys demise
www.beyondnever.com - www.facebook.com/beyondnever

Offline littlewing

• WF Major
  • Trease, have a cone and shut the fuck up
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
I'd certainly be up for the fun pictures that Jez mentioned, but no way in hell will I be showing my goodies  ;D
They're for one person only (and the odd car travelling along Marmion Ave in the early hours.)
I can't take the whole 'sexy pose' thing seriously, and I doubt most girls will- unless they are professional models.

One thing I will say, apart from the odd female musician actually in a band, a lot of the girls just want to be part of something that has to do with this scene. We go to every show, we buy the albums, the merch and we love that there is something do do on the weekends that doesn't involve sleezy, tapout- wearing fucktards cracking onto us. But most of us don't play instruments, leaving us to just clap our hands and stroke the ego's of our boyfriends and friends. If a few girls want to take some pictures and get it out in the cosmos, let them and SUPPORT them! After all, the bands don't spend all their cash making an album and expecting to actually make some money from them, do they?  ;)
Quick! Make a sound like a dying giraffe!

Offline Catalyst

• WF Colonel
  • wish you were beer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
We DO support them, even encourage them.
 My comments were just meant to steer them down less expensive paths, not put a line through the idea.

Offline Faye Tality

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 03:20:48 AM »
Ive always thought about calendars as merch but from what I can see they arent so cheap to produce, I like the idea though

Offline MirrorMirror

• WF Major
  • \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
would printing an a3 style one with all the months on one page be a lot cheaper? sort of like year planners or something? just have a smaller picture (1 girl, 2 max?)  and the month underneath.
May my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death I will smile.

Offline DevolvedEmperor

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 01:17:27 AM »
^ what this guy said.