Author Topic: GWAR Guitarist Found Dead  (Read 3940 times)

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
GWAR Guitarist Found Dead
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:59:04 PM »
GWAR frontman Dave Brockie (a.k.a. Oderus Urungus) has released the following statement to MetalSucks:

"It is with a sense of profound loss and tragedy that the members of GWAR must announce the passing of their longtime guitarist and beloved friend Cory Smoot, also known to thousands of metal fans worldwide as Flattus Maximus. Cory was found deceased this morning as the band prepared for a border crossing. There is no word as to the cause of death and the members of GWAR are completely shocked and devastated that this has occurred.

"At this point, there is no word on arrangements and the disposition of the remainder of GWAR's current North American tour, nor are there any details regarding long-term plans.

"At this point, we are just dealing with the loss of our dear friend and brother, one of the most talented guitar players in metal today.

"We ask that our fans and the media be respectful of our request for privacy for those that have suffered this terrible loss. A full statement will be coming in the next day or so. In the meantime, please give your thoughts and your prayers to Cory, his family, and all the people that love him."

Cory joined GWAR in September 2002. Being a talented producer, he lent his technical skills to the recording of "War Party", and co-produced, as well as co-mixed with Devin Townsend (STEVE VAI, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD) GWAR's 2006 release, titled "Beyond Hell". The two albums were recorded at Karma Studios, owned and operated by Smoot.

Smoot was the longest-running Flattus and was in the videos for "War Party", "Bring Back The Bomb", "Womb With A View", "School's Out" and "Eighth Lock". Smoot was considered by GWAR fans to be the "true Flattus", as he was the longest-serving person to portray the character in GWAR history. Smoot also produced the follow-up to "Beyond Hell", "Lust In Space", along with other members of GWAR, and even sang lead vocals on the track "Release The Flies". GWAR's latest release, "Bloody Pit Of Horror", features a 12-minute epic of four songs strung together, which was largely the brainchild of Smoot. Originally he wrote the music for a solo project of his, but by the suggestion of Dave Brockie, it was reworked to become new GWAR material.

Below is a video interview with Cory Smoot conducted on August 12, 2010 at the Brutal Assault XV festival in the Czech Republic.

* Thieved from Blabbermouth.net
SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
Re: GWAR Guitarist Found Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »
Could it... possibly... maybe... be drug related?

What a shock that would be!
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
sucks bigtime, glad i got to see this band.

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
sucks bigtime, glad i got to see this band.

me too. Im glad I got to be front row centre, and copping every coloured liquid possible, including Oderus's jizz shot right in my mouth. He seemed pleased with himself too. Looked me in the eye like a good, caring man should when he is shooting spoonta in your face. ah, meeeemories!
Mongeese like results

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
GWAR and the family of Cory Smoot have released a statement regarding the official cause of the guitarist's death.
Stated North Dakota coroner William Masselo, MD: "We have finalized the autopsy report and death certificate. I have determined that Cory died from a coronary artery thrombosis brought about by his pre-existing coronary artery disease."

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
suck on that, Nihilist.
Mongeese like results