Author Topic: Small Day Out (BDO)  (Read 4253 times)

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
Small Day Out (BDO)
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
THE Big Day Out has pulled headline act Kanye West from its Perth and Adelaide shows next year.

In a statement from organisers, Perth will become a scaled down event with only one main stage "to capture the magic of early Big Day Out Shows".

The venue has also changed, from Claremont Showgrounds to Lathlain Park.

The Hilltop Hoods and punk rockers Mariachi El Bronx have also been culled from the Perth performance.

This comes after the announcement of more than 10 more acts nationwide for the festival, including former Oasis guitarist and songwriter Noel Gallagher, Kimbra and Drapht.

Current ticket holders in Perth now have a few options:

1. You are automatically entitled to $20 credit from the show merchandise

2. Tickets already purchased can either be exchanged for Gold Coast / Sydney or Melbourne shows

3. Refund will be available from your original outlet up until November 30, 2011

Not going, but my arse...Lees and West split, and Kanye probably sent them broke so they're trying to save money or something shit, then citing this piss poor excuse.

Could this be finally be the end of the BDO?!
SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Small Day Out (BDO)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:27:08 PM »

Could this be finally be the end of the BDO?!

I kinda hope so, but at the same time it will mean all those cockheads who go to festivals because its a festival (as opposed to going for the music) will now probably try to infiltrate our Soundwave fests. It seems these are the kind of people who act like dicks, so keep the BDO for that kind, and leave Soundwave for metaheads.
Mongeese like results

Offline METAL_STEVE

• WF Colonel
  • Over worked and under fucked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
I'm not going anyway but Cavalera Conspiracy is a fair swap for kanye

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
How could the ticket possibly be worth it if Kanye West isn't coming? ABORT.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »
Why doesn't he just call the Big Day Out off altogether?  In today's current music festival landscape, it's pretty much equivalent to the VHS recorder - obsolete and past its prime.  

Soundwave has unquestionably taken over as the premier rock/metal music festival in Australia

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
Ken West spoke to Tom Tilly on Triple J last night and tried to explain the mess Big Day Out is in. Yesterday Big Day Out announced a mediocre second announcement as well as the downsizing of the Perth and Adeailde venues along with the fact that Kayne West and Odd Future would no longer be making the trip to New Zealand, Adelaide and Perth. While Ken West has tried to beat around the bush and claim that low ticket sales were not the problem, it?s clear that the low ticket sales was the major issue.

West stated that new noise abatement measures were bought into play in Perth and that council were loading costs onto the Big Day Out, making it impossible to stage the show.

When asked what else the council had bought on him since tickets went on sale, West replied:

A minimum attendance payment of a full house really.

The interviewer then put it to him that ticket sales were the reason for the cancellation and West Replied:

Ticket sales are always an object but please don?t just focus on that at the moment cause the thing is I?ve never been scared of losing money because that?s what promoters risk.

Well it seems he was scared of losing money because not only did he downgrade the Perth venue where the apparent problems arose but he also pulled Kayne West and Odd Future from the New Zealand and Adealide line-ups as well, where there was no talk of council problems.

The interviewer then asked him why he didn?t know at least some of these factors before he announced Kayne West on the line-up, to which West replied:

Well because these things come up from time to time and that we have had situations before where Bjork lost her voice the day before and we had to offer refunds and we had the Limp Bizkit tragedy with Jessica in 2001 where the continuation of the show goes into doubt. It?s a very organic challenge to be able to produce this show to the standard everyone?s proud of ? Going into Perth and Adelaide with 40,000 people to break even is a very scary thing to do, when all I did was try to start a festival over there that was going to be fun.

Tilly then asked West how he would be compensating fans, West replied:

My advice at the moment is to chill out for a week and have a think about it ? A $20 merch voucher or an option of a refund.

Tilly then asked if he thought a $20 merch voucher was fair compensation on a $165 ticket when the festival had lost a key headliner.

West Replied:

Mmm ? No I?m trying to come up with something else as well but I just needed to start the ball rolling there.

Tilly followed that with one last question, ?Ken are you worried that the festival market is really weakening and you?ll have to rethink about how much you can deliver in the future.

West Replied:

I know that the festival market is really in trouble ? It might be a very different landscape in 12 months time and your favorite festival might be gone.

So there it is, a 10 minute interview and really no solid explanation; the reality is that West has grown old and hasn?t adapted to his new target fanbase or new media. Although he says he doesn?t care about losing money, it seems that he does and after a poor marketing campaign and a poor line-up he had no option but to downsize the Adelaide, Perth and New Zealand shows and to pull Kayne West from the line-ups.

Noel Gallagher?s High Flying Birds
 The Vaccines
 Nero
 Kimbra
 Regurgitator
 Bluejuice
 Drapht
 Tonight Only
 Abbe May
 Shockone
 Cavalera Conspiracy
 Art vs Science ? East Coast
 Dasracist ? East Coast
 Miss Kittin ? East Coast
 Kitty ? East Coast
 Daisy & Lewis ? East Coast
 Papa vs Pretty ? East Coast
 Amity Affliction ? East Coast
 King Cannons ? East Coast
 Faker ? East Coast
 Calling All Cars ? East Coast
 Stonefield ? East Coast
 T-Rek! ? East Coast

Headliners

Kanye West (East Coast only)
 Soundgarden
 Kasabian

My Chemical Romance
 The Living End (Except Adelaide)
 R?yksopp
 Hilltop Hoods (Except Perth)
 Boy and Bear
 Parkway Drive
 Mariachi El Bronx (East Coast only)
 Architecture in Helsinki
 Battles
 The Jezabels
 Odd Future (OFWGKTA) (Aus Only)
 Frenzal Rhomb
 Girl Talk
 The Getaway Plan
 Cage The Elephant
 Foster The People
 Best Coast

Unearthed Winners

Gold Coast ? Dune Rats
 Sydney ? Underlights
 Melbourne ? King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
 Adelaide ? Honey Pies
 Perth ? The Growl

SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
fuck all that anyway...

...good point Mago...that is likely to happen 
"Log off. That cookie shit makes me nervous!"

Offline mackenziejordan

• WF Private
    • View Profile
    • Orgreenic
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
It seems these are the kind of people who act like dicks, so keep the BDO for that kind, and leave Soundwave for metaheads.

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »
...again

Offline Mago_Haydz

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »
It seems these are the kind of people who act like dicks, so keep the BDO for that kind, and leave Soundwave for metaheads.

could have at least fixed my spelling error, ya slack cunt! Bots these days *shakes head*
Mongeese like results

Offline whammy

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 08:48:56 PM »
could have at least fixed my spelling error, ya slack cunt! Bots these days *shakes head*