Author Topic: Mike Smith Leaves SUFFOCATION  (Read 3571 times)

Offline BlackDeath

• SUPREME LEGION Operative
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • SUPREME LEGION FaceBook Page
Mike Smith Leaves SUFFOCATION
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »
It would seem that drummer Mike Smith has split with Suffocation ? and under less-than-amicable conditions. He?s posted the below message on both his official website and Facebook page:

?There are not many things related to the suffocation brand I can honestly say brings me sadness. Except, the lack of pride that exists within those who have the ?right? to claim the name as their own.

?This battle has been one that to any focused being, should make obvious sense but has evaded some for 2 decades. Within any foundation the weakest link will always cause all structure to crumble.

?The one fact that keeps me at peace is the fact that anyone who has ever seen or spoken to me regarding Suffocation and the industry as a whole, has always left with an understanding of the level of focus and pride that I personally hold for myself, the brand that is Suffocation and the genre We influence and helped create.

?As I?ve always said, if you are willing to put your time and soul towards anything at
Be willing to speak truths, fight and bleed for it if need be.?

While nowhere in this post does Smith say he?s out of the band, it?s hard to read that and think that things are hunky dory. Meanwhile, Heavy Blog is Heavy reports that guitarist Terrance Hobbs has confirmed Smith?s departure on Facebook, although presently I do not see any such posts on either Hobbs? nor Suffocation?s FB pages, so either that confirmation has since been removed, or I?m a dope.

In any case, this news is a bummer. Smith was, of course, a founding member of the legendary death metal act, and while he?s left once before, in the early 90s, at this point he?s been back in the band for almost ten years. His drumming is a huge part of their sound.

That being said, Suffocation has persevered without him before. Dave Culross, who replaced Smith?s original replacement Doug Bohn in 1996 has also played with Malevolent Creation and Pyrexia, amongst others, seems to have stepped in for Smith, and that dude is no slouch ? so it?s hard for me to imagine that Suffocation won?t be able to survive without their original drummer.

-AR

* Thieved from MetalSucks.net

:o

SUPREME LEGION: From haunting melodies to obscure brutality, we hail the hard & heavy!

Offline Necron

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Mhorgl
Re: Mike Smith Leaves SUFFOCATION
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
SUFFOCATION Confirms Split With Drummer MIKE SMITH, Taps DAVE CULROSS As Permanent Replacement - Feb. 27, 2012
New York death metal veterans SUFFOCATION recently answered several questions about their split with drummer Mike Smith during an e-mail interview with Russia's HitKiller.com. Several excerpts from the question-and-answer session in their original English-language form can be found below.

HitKiller.com: It's been a sad surprise for everyone to hear the news about the split-up within the band. We've had a chance to hear Mike speaking his truth and his opinion of what's going on. How would you comment on the current situation? What do you think was the main reason of this sudden breakup?

Answer: We want to keep this respectful, so without going into much detail, Mike and the rest of us had serious differences of opinions. Mike did formally resign from the band, and he has since been replaced with Dave Culross who had played and recorded on "Despise The Sun".

HitKiller.com: There is Bill Robinson [DECREPIT BIRTH vocalist] and Dave Culross to fill the vacant spaces within your lineup during the Eastern leg of the tour. Why did you choose these guys? Was it difficult anyhow to persuade them to come with you ('cause you know there might be kind of negative reaction from the fans who think SUFFO is impossible without Frank [Mullen, vocals] and Mike)? And how much time do you think they'll need to learn the songs? Do you think they can become SUFFOCATION regular members in future (Dave once again in his life)?

Answer: Dave is a permanent member now. Bill is just filling in for Frank on this run only due to the fact that Frank has responsibilities to his job and family. However, Frank will be performing at Neurotic Deathfest with us. As the saying goes, the show must go on for our fans and we will not disappoint! We would like to thank Bill for performing with us on this run to come. But other then that, nothing has changed.

HitKiller.com: How do you see the future of the band? What variant do you think is most possible: 1) The band splits up once again; 2) you're solving the conflict and get all together back; 3) SUFFOCATION continues with the new lineup. What are you going do after this difficult tour is over?

Answer: For all the people who think the band is splitting up, it's NOT, except for the one change we already mentioned above. As far as our next move, the new CD is in the pre-production stage and it kills! We would say some of the best material to date. The band right now as a whole can't wait to get this out to our fans.

HitKiller.com: What will probably happen with the album you've been working on lately? As far as I know a lot of stuff is recorded already and... Will it actually be out?

Answer: Yes, it is scheduled to be released on Nuclear Blast in the fall of 2012.

Offline Tasmaniak

• WF Major
  • Speaking with your fingers is strange.
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Smith Leaves SUFFOCATION
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:18 AM »
Slightly saddening news, slightly...
But Dave Culross drumming? Booyah, that is some boss news