Author Topic: Magnet swapping questions  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Riff Obsessed

• WF Private
    • View Profile
Magnet swapping questions
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:40:49 PM »
Hey all

I got a Jackson RX10D Rhoads V, with a 59 in the neck and a Duncan Custom in the bridge. The Custom is bloody good for what I need it to do, it's articulate, defined but still very heavy, but has a harsher top end than I need. I heard a sample of a Duncan Custom 5 and it seemed to have less of this top end, so I was going to swap the ceramic magnet in the Custom to an alnico 5 and see if that will fix things for me.

On another note, I'm not happy with the EMG's that are in my Schecter Hellraiser 7-string (707 TW). There's not enough top end for my liking and the bottom end/lower notes aren't defined enough. I hear that the EMG 81/7 is pretty much a 707 with a ceramic magnet, and has more crunch and top end than the 707. So with this in mind:

1) Is it even possible to swap the magnet out of the EMG? I did find a tutorial on how to swap the magnet from the Duncans, but haven't had any luck finding one for the EMGs.

2) Where can I find a place that I can get these magnets? I haven't had any luck with that either, especially finding one for the EMG (I'm assuming the magnet will need to be bigger for the 707).

Any help would be great.

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
Re: Magnet swapping questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »
We make pickups, so we have all the parts including Alnico 2 and 5, Ceramic, and 'distortion style' ceramic magnets. We have the fabric wrapping tape also.

Swapping the Duncan one is easy, just get the polarity correct otherwise it will have phase issues when combined with another pickup. You'll notice a slight drop in output when the ceramic one is swapped out. But, you can adjust the pickups closer to the strings with an Alnico magnet, so it GENERALLY, ROUGHLY, works out about the same (but a touch less volume to the amp).

The EMG is sealed with epoxy, so it isnt possible to swap.

If you want a magnet, I suggest you act quickly. We are running low on stocks, and have more orders for pickups than we do parts to make them. Im also closing for a couple weeks soon.

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »
Hey Perry, you made any pickups with those huge distortion magnets yet?  :)

Offline Riff Obsessed

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »
Fair enough. Looks like the EMGs will be getting the arse then...

Offline Ormsby_Guitars

• WF General
  • WF Colonel
  • Ormsby Guitars and Repairs
    • View Profile
    • www.ormsbyguitars.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:27:30 AM »
Hey Perry, you made any pickups with those huge distortion magnets yet?  :)

Not really, but have a bunch in stock ready for prototyping.  :headbang:

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »
 :headbang: Can't wait to hear em  :headbang:

Offline JohnnyC

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »
Hey all

I got a Jackson RX10D Rhoads V, with a 59 in the neck and a Duncan Custom in the bridge. The Custom is bloody good for what I need it to do, it's articulate, defined but still very heavy, but has a harsher top end than I need. I heard a sample of a Duncan Custom 5 and it seemed to have less of this top end, so I was going to swap the ceramic magnet in the Custom to an alnico 5 and see if that will fix things for me.

i did the exact same thing...hated the harshs highs/brittleness of the Custom and was thinking about buying a C5...however it was much cheaper to do a magnet swap...so i ditched the ceramic bar in the custom and replaced it with an Alnico 5 i got from ormsby (hence converting it to a custom 5). much better.

heres a link that may be of help to you
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/barmagswap.htm
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:29:09 PM by JohnnyC »

Offline 2112

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
the custom 5 is exactly the same pickup as the custom but with the magnet swap you did...and the custom custom uses an alnico 2 instead.

apparently alot of guys are using alnico 8's in duncans, like the JB or custom and they sound pretty awesome. the magnets are so cheap it's well worth buying a bunch and experimenting
Brain causes alcohol damage

Offline Riff Obsessed

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
Yeah, I remember seeing a blurb on Seymour Duncan's site that said the same thing, so I figured why spend $100+ on a pup when I could get the magnet changed instead? Makes better sense. Shame I can't do the same with the EMGs though.

Anyways, half an hour, pliers, a hammer and a swiss army knife later (crude, but VERY effective), the job was done and the result was more Djent, less Darkthrone. No harsh flushing-toilet highs, more bottom end, but still defined and matches better with the 59 in the neck, which was exactly what I wanted in the end. Cheers for the help!