Author Topic: History of Perth Metal.  (Read 56474 times)

Offline Metallifux

• WF Colonel
  • Cursh your enemies, see them driven before you
    • View Profile
    • chaos divine
Re: History of Perth Metal.
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 05:14:56 PM »
would be interested to hear your opinions on tangled thoughts of leaving

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 10:26:37 PM »
Will get ours to you as soon buddy.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »
I was at the Recycle section at the Balcatta dump the other day, and in their collection of CDs there were CD covers for modus Vivendi and Syzygy but no CDs in the cases.  I was fucking annoyed.
Wow. Someone actually put in the effort to throw us out! :) *stoked*

If you want a copy for review, just let me know, Id be happy to send a copy to you.

Offline TnT

• WF Supreme Commander
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Western Front
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:32 AM »
Been so busy with work stuff I hadn't had time to post again on here.. I considered letting it go but didn't want to leave it to assumptions.

especially since not all of the members are tools, but I guess since the subject has already been broached...

Its cool your not a fan of Opeth or Noctis man not gonna hold that against ya. But sound to me like you've got a personal problem with some of us. Firstly i would just like to know what "subject has already been broached"? I mean if you have a something you'd like to talk about feel free to PM me and we shall talk about it. I find it really concerning to hear you think some of us are "Tools".

On the contrary, I mentioned there is some of Opeth's stuff I do enjoy. It is the subset of their style - the slow, all the same kind of tempo, monotonous, boring parts, where not much stands out - especially after a set of all the same - is what I was referring to.
As Josh caught on, obviously the subject of Opeth comparison had already been broached.

I wasn't going to go into any more detail but seems as though I may have to. Previously I said how I normally adopt a policy of "if there is nothing good to say then don't say anything", however, as already covered the comparison aspect had already been brought up, but there is also other factors.

There are certain bands (bandS, meaning plural) around that have some members that I (and I'm not alone here) think don't really have the right kind of respect for the local metal scene and/or those that do things to benefit it. There are other band members / promoters / people that are involved with the scene in some form which at very least acknowledge each other or act in a courteous way when acknowledged, though the majority go beyond that and are very friendly and pleasant, and contribute in a positive manner.

But we're not talking about them, we're talking about the aforementioned people, whom seem to think they are "above that". There are some people that seem to think they are special, whether it be because of their views or tastes or whatever other ridiculous reasoning, when the by-product they are shovelling is far from that. In fact, funnily enough, more often than not it is these people that are so pretentious that they are actually offering the least.

There are some people that think they don't need to support the scene which supports them, they don't have to go to any other show other than if they are playing at it (or perhaps those of other colleagues in their onanistic group). It is disrespectful to those that do put in hard work to contribute or support others, and I for one know I have no interest to help further the cause for people that are only out for themselves. It is people like this that deserve to be dropped down a peg or two, and perhaps all it takes is for them to overstep the mark in one way or the other for such a thing to occur.

Perhaps it would be more fitting to let them stew in their own little worlds, completely oblivious and ignorant to what they are or have become. Now I am not quick to judge - it would take a number of reasons and over a length of time for me to form such an opinion about anyone, and often other people's experiences and opinions will have a bearing on this, so it is not just me.

I understand this may read as a tirade, but be assured it is not directed at this one band that started the discussion, and isn't aimed at all the members, and not all the points raised are in reference to them. It is simply a general summary and food for thought. If someone (anyone) reads this realises they are guilty of any said practices then they would (hopefully) comprehend it. In any respect I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

As someone once said "karma perhaps?"

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • www.ozfishforsale.com.au
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:56 AM »
that Left Ablaze EP Kicked so much ass when I first heard it. they recorded it at aussie assault studios, when Stu first built it in Scabs. Roland recorded it before he moved back to singapore. And I felt this EP turned out a lot better sounding than the Dyscord EP that was produced a month later, by the same engineer at the same studio. oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure there is no singing 'cause those guys never dug that shit.

Offline Ben Mazzarol

• WF Major
  • Drums for Vespers Descent, Noctis & Chaos Divine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »
Been so busy with work stuff I hadn't had time to post again on here.. I considered letting it go but didn't want to leave it to assumptions.

especially since not all of the members are tools, but I guess since the subject has already been broached...

Its cool your not a fan of Opeth or Noctis man not gonna hold that against ya. But sound to me like you've got a personal problem with some of us. Firstly i would just like to know what "subject has already been broached"? I mean if you have a something you'd like to talk about feel free to PM me and we shall talk about it. I find it really concerning to hear you think some of us are "Tools".

On the contrary, I mentioned there is some of Opeth's stuff I do enjoy. It is the subset of their style - the slow, all the same kind of tempo, monotonous, boring parts, where not much stands out - especially after a set of all the same - is what I was referring to.
As Josh caught on, obviously the subject of Opeth comparison had already been broached.

I wasn't going to go into any more detail but seems as though I may have to. Previously I said how I normally adopt a policy of "if there is nothing good to say then don't say anything", however, as already covered the comparison aspect had already been brought up, but there is also other factors.

There are certain bands (bandS, meaning plural) around that have some members that I (and I'm not alone here) think don't really have the right kind of respect for the local metal scene and/or those that do things to benefit it. There are other band members / promoters / people that are involved with the scene in some form which at very least acknowledge each other or act in a courteous way when acknowledged, though the majority go beyond that and are very friendly and pleasant, and contribute in a positive manner.

But we're not talking about them, we're talking about the aforementioned people, whom seem to think they are "above that". There are some people that seem to think they are special, whether it be because of their views or tastes or whatever other ridiculous reasoning, when the by-product they are shovelling is far from that. In fact, funnily enough, more often than not it is these people that are so pretentious that they are actually offering the least.

There are some people that think they don't need to support the scene which supports them, they don't have to go to any other show other than if they are playing at it (or perhaps those of other colleagues in their onanistic group). It is disrespectful to those that do put in hard work to contribute or support others, and I for one know I have no interest to help further the cause for people that are only out for themselves. It is people like this that deserve to be dropped down a peg or two, and perhaps all it takes is for them to overstep the mark in one way or the other for such a thing to occur.

Perhaps it would be more fitting to let them stew in their own little worlds, completely oblivious and ignorant to what they are or have become. Now I am not quick to judge - it would take a number of reasons and over a length of time for me to form such an opinion about anyone, and often other people's experiences and opinions will have a bearing on this, so it is not just me.

I understand this may read as a tirade, but be assured it is not directed at this one band that started the discussion, and isn't aimed at all the members, and not all the points raised are in reference to them. It is simply a general summary and food for thought. If someone (anyone) reads this realises they are guilty of any said practices then they would (hopefully) comprehend it. In any respect I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

As someone once said "karma perhaps?"

Mate you have to say who you're talking about, because your post is not just "simply a general summary and food for thought" it's a slanderous attack on suspects/bands unknown. I'm not going to fuck around, who are you addressing this to in my band? Because I think they have a right to meet the accusations that you have just cast against them. We extended an invitation for you to talk to us in a more personal manner over pm, but you have instead decided to make it a further attack in an open forum, of which you run.

If it is in fact directed at me, or my brother, which I'm assuming it is, once I get this clarification I can endeavour to answer any of your legitimate criticisms. Moreover, it's not for you to relay others criticisms, if they have a problem they can address it themselves.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:15:48 PM by Ben Mazzarol »

Offline Muscles

• WF Colonel
  • Time To Act!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
stumbled upon this http://perthmusic.wordpress.com/ last night

Nailed Down!
Amazing grind. i went to TAFE with the bassplayer Craig.
I have their album on a tiny cd somewhere...

I picked up the Nailed Down Vinyl in LA of all places.. "MIGHT IS RIGHT!"

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
If it is in fact directed at me, or my brother, which I'm assuming it is, once I get this clarification I can endeavour to answer any of your legitimate criticisms. Moreover, it's not for you to relay others criticisms, if they have a problem they can address it themselves.
I know he isn't directing anything at you Ben, he respects you.  But his "Karma Perhaps" HAS to be a swipe at your brother.   I seem to recall that the week that Daz got his car wrecked and head smashed by a bouncer, Dan used those exact words in a low jab at his misfortune, but feel free to correct me....?  There seems to be some bad blood there, possibly the scars from the past are still raw, and fresh in Daz's mind?  Who can say?  Da Daz duz az da Daz duz.

In this scene nothing is ever forgotten, old injuries never stop weeping until someone chooses to take it upon themselves to fix them.  I should know, I caused my share. 

Let's step away from personal issues for a sec and look at the scene from another perspective:

Daz has a point, there are people in bigger local metal bands who DO support the scene and go to heaps of gigs they areb't involved with.  I would point at people like Louis, Dyson, Geoff, Big Mak, Guy Bell, Cain, Mark B, Dan G and heaps of others who regularly show up to shows just to network with their social peers and show bands support.  I don't get to every local show myself these days, but I get to around one in three and that is about average for most members of local extreme bands I would say.
But when was the last time you saw some people in bigger bands - like Danny from Voyager for one example - just show up to a show they have no part of just to be social and support the scene?  I could name a heap more, but it won't help the situation.

I can see Daz being put out by this sort of behavior, because he lives and breathes the Perth Metal scene, he regularly loses money promoting and putting on shows and maintaining WF.  I would imagine that to him such people are just leeches taking what they can get and giving nothing back, and he is well within his rights to say so.  He supports everyone, despite the fact that he is not a fan of everyone's music/band.  Cmon, this is Daz, the guy who always seems to walk the fence on issues and take the diplomatic centre ground in the name of solidarity, this issue has obviously been festering away in him for some time for him to arc up like this.

Maybe there is someone like that in Noctis, but it seems to me that the reason he chose not to mention names is because - as he said - there are other individuals and bands in the same boat and he just felt compelled to vent at that point? 

Then again, what do I know?

Well said dude...

Offline erecshyrinol

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »
Has nothing to do with anything. But I would love to come to more local gigs, but being a poor uni student that works in hospitality, I have to work most weekends unless I beg for a weekend off so I can actually play a gig. It fucking blows.  :(

Offline Ben Mazzarol

• WF Major
  • Drums for Vespers Descent, Noctis & Chaos Divine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
Well if it was a personal problem between Daz and Dan, I don't see why it was aired on this public forum. That just damages my bands which I love and work so hard for.

As for the scene, I don't feel the need to qualify my commitment to it, as I have given countless hours of my time to it and have enjoyed every second.
And I would warn all those who would seek to move down a path of incrimination and finger pointing towards individuals and bands based on a perceived lack of loyalty and dedication, because no one is ever fit to make such distinctions or issue such judgments.

What this kind of talk and reasoning does is push those people, whom may already feel isolated from the "core" of the Perth metal scene further away. I'm as thank full as the rest of the scene to the work that Daz has done, WF being the most visible example, with many testifying to his other less visible work, but that does not give him or anyone else the mandate to pass judgment on those they may deem worthy and those they may not.

Offline Anacrucify

• WF Colonel
  • Heathens!!!
    • View Profile
    • Lacrymae @ MySpace
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 11:43:35 PM »
Now this really grinds my gears. There is a big enough divide in the scene already without this bullshit. Onanistic group? I might be wrong but that is complimenting muscial ability?

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2010, 12:14:10 AM »
opine

I know im going to make myself look stupid, but is that even a fucking word!?
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline schist

• Oinahman
  • Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
'Opine' is, in fact, a word.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »
alright! And back to the reviews I enjoy reading so much! ;D

Offline Sheriff Cunt

• WF Colonel
  • Lok'tar ogar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
quote botched hooray, Catalyst you're too literate for your own good
I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief's desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief's command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!

Offline cdtBEAST

• WF Colonel
  • sounds like a bowl of fuck
    • View Profile
    • www.combineddeathtoll.com
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »
Loving the reviews man.

Offline Grim

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/theuncreation
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »
stumbled upon this http://perthmusic.wordpress.com/ last night

Nailed Down!
Amazing grind.

Agreed. I played a gig on the same bill as them. They were fucking intense.

Offline old gregg

• WF Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2010, 06:00:21 AM »
And I felt this EP turned out a lot better sounding than the Dyscord EP that was produced a month later, by the same engineer at the same studio.

Sorry you got that the wrong way round dude. The Left Ablaze EP was produced a month later, by the same engineer at the same studio. And yeah it sounds heaps better! I mean LA's has real drums! The cord EP was ok, but roland obviously learnt some new tricks later on!

Offline DreadLine

• WF Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2010, 07:18:15 AM »
cool. cheers for the correction. And catalyst, awesome syzigy review mate! I remember seeing them in late 2000 at Amps for the first time, and got completely blown away!

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
                                                         Syzygy - "Prominence"

We tend to toss genre names around a bit these days.   One of the genres of metal that is the hardest to truly define is Progressive metal, and it is certainly open to vast degrees of personal interpretation.  Prog Metal bands have some generally recognisable charactistics, and since this is the first review of a clearly definable prog band, allow me the indulgence of attempting to put them into some form of cohesive list:

Progmetal bands have:
1. a tendency to create long songs with lengthy instrumental passages, and often with a more obvious complexity than more    
    contempory forms of Metal.  Attention to detail and the feel of "telling a tale" or crafting a journey rather than thrashing away is  
    another Progmetal characteristic.  Lyrics frequently stray far from the traditional Metal lyrics content driven by the darker aspects of
    life, and can be uplifting, mystical and even fantastic in nature.

2. leanings towards creating songs that consist of different parts or movements more like classical rather than structured  
    verse/chorous style.  The classical influence shows in the choice of notes, chord structuring and tempo also, but more than
    anything in the almost arbitrary use of keyboards, which are generally used to spectactular effect.

3. a love of experimentation in the use of diverse and/or complicated rhythms, or an abundance of changes.  Despite this, changes in
    songs seem to be written with an organic flow rather than jarring changes.

4. a high standard of musicianship when compared to other genres, possibly because the need for instrumental clarity prevents
    sloppiness being lost in the mix.  The fact is, many virtuosos and musican geniuses tend to use prog metal as their vehicle to
    display their talents, driving the bar ever higher.  Vocals are another facet of this, with most prog bands having singers of absurd
    vocal ability and range, albeit normally in a much less abrasive or heavy capicity as the vocals of the heavier genres.

5. a lack of cooperation with any set of strictures governing Metal as a music form.  There is no adherance to heaviness for a start,
    leaving many to question the blurred boundry between progrock and progmetal.  Is is not uncommon for Progmetal bands to  
    borrow and explore music from non-metal genres and even take inspiration from the sounds of ethnic and religious groups.

Using these guidelines to define progressive Metal, I would say that "Prominence" by Syzygy is about as Progmetal as a band can be.
Syzygy as a live entity was a very, very tight band, and this translates onto the CD flawlessly.  Not a particularly heavy band or album, they are labelled as a metal band because that is the closest way to decribe their music, which is a strange and sort of dreamy melange of sounds with an underlying heavy edge to it.  This sort of music is going to reach everyone a bit differently, to me it sounds like the music playing in the background of an undersea documentary, or the soundtrack of a sci-fi Manga cartoon.  Not dominated by any particular instrument, "Prominence" is 40 minutes of constantly shifting, morphing, regenerating and yet somehow flowing material.  Even in a genre that defines itself by nonconformity, Syzygy go further by dispensing with vocals altogether and making every song an instrumental, a move  guaranteed to make them even less commercial and harder to mentally get your head around.  "Prominence" sounds to my ears like a heavier version of an album by Toto or Asia from the early 80s without the vocals, and since they were superbands formed from masters of their individual instruments that comparison is rather apt, as musician-wise, Syzygy may have been one of the most talented bands Perth has spawned.

The guitars flail around with the extremely precise fingerwork and slick leads that you would expect, single note hyper-accurate picking and mathmatical efficiency.  Andro and Jarred skate down that line between galloping rhythms, classical epic-ness and cheesy licks, it's a rare sounding music like a cross between Vivaldi and Annihilator.  Frequently dropping the distortion and softening the abrasive tone of the guitar with the use of reverb and other effects, the guitars are stripped of much of their heaviness but still inspiring and polished to a sheen.  In song 5 "Atmosphere" the guitars take on a more dominant role in the music and there are some moments that border on brilliance.

Keyboards are doubly clever in that they not only played extremely well, but used also to provide the basswork of the CD, because I could be wrong but I don't remember Syzygy having a bassist.  Mili faces the limitation this places on him by recklessly darting between holding the song together with chords and making the keys the dominant force.  One of the few keyboard players I have ever found worthy of studying as he performed, he plays with an accuracy that I have never mastered, and never will.  

Drums are precision perfect, and played with an eye to supporting the instruments rather than just hammering away at breakneck speed.  We all know what Damo can do behind a kit, so it is somewhat suprising that on this CD he is fairly sedate, giving only what is needed and showing a restraint that few drummers seem to be able to achieve.  When he does unload, there are majestic passages of fericious footwork like at the start of song 6 "flight 537", but he proves on this CD that drums don't have to be 9 million beats a minute to sound cool, displaying a modesty that many young drummers have to learn.  

I found it a bit hard to process this CD, I had to get through the entire album 4 times before my brain stopped waiting for the singing that would never come, but once I got used to it I found myself glad, I would prefer NO vocals to some of the munted high-pitched catawauling on many progmetal albums that I have heard.  I also had to shut down my "angry chip", which is never easy for me, but again after the fourth time through I was able to get past it a bit.  Those of you who are fortunate enough to lack this personality flaw should have no trouble getting into this CD.

Those of you who missed seeing Syzygy live may yet get another chance one day, there have been rumours of reunion shows.  In the years since it's release, bands like Kamelot, Dream Theatre and Symphony X were to give such music as this some true recognition, but in Perth in 2000 "Providence" was still some pretty groundbreaking stuff and is still well worth grabbing a copy if you can find one.  

Review by Jez.

Thanks for the review!

Im glad you didnt miss the vocals. If we had a dollar for every time someone said "Man, you guys need a singer", we could probably afford going on tour with Toto or Asia!

Its actually suprising to me how somebody reviewing the CD nearly ten years after its release (and 6 since the band broke up) has a much better grasp of what we were trying to achieve than any reviewer at the time. :)

Syzygy did have a bass player (a few actually) but we started out gigging without one, and we were a 4pc (minus bass) at the time of that recording. Mili would split his keys such that bass tones would be available on his left hand and keys on the right.

Rumours of a reunion show are mostly coming from me :) and although its a difficult thing to coordinate, I get closer to making it happen every day. All of the members are keen to do it, but all are busy, and some arent even in the country at the moment.  For FB people, updates will be posted here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Syzygy/358090586348

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:02:57 AM by Damo »

Offline metalhawk

• WF Colonel
  • ...never too old to headbang!!!
    • View Profile
    • enforce homepage
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
^^ i remember syzygy doing a sepultura cover one time at a gig.. they managed to get max on holiday to fill in for a song???????  :headbang:

Offline Defenderoffaith

• WF Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Good work on the reviewers dude keep them coming i have enjoyed reading them. I'm new to the site any recommendations

Offline chancellorisgod

• Global Moderator
  • WF Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Original Sin Photography
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »
Sure.  Don't listen to anything anyone says around here, they are all douchebags.   ;D

He speaks the truth and he should know - he's our leader  :rofl:

Offline nihilist

• WF Colonel
  • WHORE: THE OTHER WHITE MEAT.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
I prefer fuckhead to douchebag.
My hands are choking, my knife is broken.
An orgasm is what I need.
Your blood is spilling, the sight is thrilling.
To cum I need to see you bleed.

Offline Damo

• WF Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
^^ i remember syzygy doing a sepultura cover one time at a gig.. they managed to get max on holiday to fill in for a song???????  :headbang:

Haha that wasnt Max.

The song by memory was Slave New World, and we used none other than the legendary Guy Bell :)